.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Some Questions About Warp Assaults (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=9205)

SamuraiProgrammer April 18th, 2003 01:17 AM

Some Questions About Warp Assaults

I have seen two games decided by massive warp point assaults (1 favorable, 1 not). By decided, I mean that one side lost so much that there is no way they would be competitive again.

Is this normally how games are decided?

Is there such a thing as having too many ships in an offensive against a warp point?

Is it a bad idea to use carriers?

Is there a way to decide what ships to enter first (such as ones with better shields, etc.)?

Are there any 'secret knocks' to opening a warp point?

Thanks in advance...

(Congrats Pious Ron)

[ April 18, 2003, 00:19: Message edited by: SamuraiProgrammer ]

Grandpa Kim April 18th, 2003 02:58 AM

Re: Some Questions About Warp Assaults

I'll just answer a few of these.

Originally posted by SamuraiProgrammer:
Is this normally how games are decided?

I would say no. I think most games are decided by planet losses.

Is there such a thing as having too many ships in an offensive against a warp point?

Not really, but unlucky ship placement can kill you.

Is there a way to decide what ships to enter first (such as ones with better shields, etc.)?

Sorry no, they all enter at once. Only your fleet leader do you have any kind of control over.

See the current thread "Warp point opening technology -- How?"

oleg April 18th, 2003 03:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance...

(Congrats Pious Ron)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. Use SBMHAWKs en mass !

Sorry, read too much Weber' books http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

QuarianRex April 18th, 2003 05:21 AM

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Find a formation that you like and then number all of the ships in the fleet (1, 2, 3, etc.). They should fall into formation in that order since they are aranged alphanumerically. I think. I always have my fleets break formation, so I'm a little rusty on the subject, but I did some experimentation back in the day and that seemed to be the pattern.

In any case it should be good for some experimentation.

If you try it out be sure to post the results.

Q April 18th, 2003 07:11 AM

"Is it a bad idea to use carriers?"

IMHO yes. Even as defender carriers will need time to launch their fighters and because the combat starts at close range they may be destroyed before most of the fighters are lauched. However fighters themselves are great to defend a warp point.

General Woundwort April 18th, 2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No. Especially if the defender has Crew Converters. I found this out the hard way. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Grandpa Kim April 18th, 2003 06:04 PM

Posted by QuarianRex
Quote:

...then number all of the ships in the fleet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do I number my ships? I haven't figured out a way to do this. Or do you mean just change the name of each ship?

I do believe the game will number the ships and place them according to the formation numbers, but I haven't figured out the game's system for numbering ships and if I did, what could I do about it?

In formations.txt, you can select particular design types to fit in different formation slots. For instance attack ships in front, carriers in the rear, capture ships on the wings. Last time I tried this it didn't work. The game places the ships according to its own plan so you best grin and bear it.

In my experience, at a warp point, it is impossible to tell in advance the positioning of the defenders ships or the orientation of your formation so random positioning may be just as effective as a carefully thought out formation.

[ April 18, 2003, 17:08: Message edited by: Grandpa Kim ]

Slynky April 18th, 2003 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grandpa Kim:

In my experience, at a warp point, it is impossible to tell in advance the positioning of the defenders ships or the orientation of your formation so random positioning may be just as effective as a carefully thought out formation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. I use Wall a lot, and lots of times, it shows up on the tactical map like a row marching toward the other fleet instead of a wall. THAT sucks.

tesco samoa April 18th, 2003 07:12 PM

Send a ramming fleet in first. To see what is on the other side

Slynky April 18th, 2003 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tesco samoa:
Send a ramming fleet in first. To see what is on the other side
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or, though I've never done it, can't scanners "peek" on the other side?