.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Getting National Heroes - How Long? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=29025)

Edi May 29th, 2006 03:39 AM

Getting National Heroes - How Long?

So, how long has it taken for you to get your first national hero at the longest?

I don't know if I can claim some kind of record here, but when I played a Coop game with Kaljamaha last week, as BoH Abysia with the CB 5.4 mod, I had my first hero, Rago, show up in a timely fashion - on turn 130. Never saw Ba'al Chozron or Chuzrael, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with this kind of frequency. And I didn't even have misfortune scales. As a rule, I avoid them like the plague, except with BF Ulm which requires 1 misfortune scale.

Edi

Nerfix May 29th, 2006 04:34 AM

Re: Getting National Heroes - How Long?

No idea...but it has sometimes been so long that I even forgot such things exist. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Agrajag May 29th, 2006 05:48 AM

I had whole games without ever getting a hero, but they all ended before ~turn 80
And in all of them I had either Misfortune 1 or 2

shovah May 29th, 2006 01:42 PM

latest: never, won or lost before getting one. earliest: turn 2 or 3(had a few times with angerboda)

Saxon May 30th, 2006 07:54 AM

The luck level directly effects the chances of a hero showing up. I remember being surprised at how big an effect it had, but regret I do not remember the exact details. However, if you boost your luck up, you really should be getting them early in play, early enough to count on it. It is a bit unpredictable, but when you boost it, you will get results. You might want to do a search for the details.

It can really help if you get the national hero with high summoning skill for Rhyleh, though I never found out if the luck scales effected the chances of summoning.

Edi May 30th, 2006 09:43 AM

The luck effect is pretty damned big.

The best I remember was playing BF Ulm, which has a forced misfortune scale, and getting Burkhard Nachtzehrer the Blood Marshal on turn 2. Now that is something that can give the early game quite the boost...

Edi

Cainehill May 30th, 2006 11:29 AM

Of course, that enforced misfortune drops your chance to 2% a turn ( 3% base, +/- 1% per point of luck / misfortune - Misfortune 3 normally means zero chance of getting heroes under normal circumstances ).

But even with Luck-3, I've definately had test games get to at least turn 40 or 50 without a hero, probably real games as well.

Saxon May 31st, 2006 02:08 AM

So at Luck +3 you have a 6% a turn of getting a hero? That is double regular luck and three times Luck –1, so it is a big difference.

Of course, you have to combine this with your “real life luck’… In my last game, I was playing Caelum and a very mobile strategy, all flying units. I got the wingless national commander…

Endoperez May 31st, 2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Saxon said:
So at Luck +3 you have a 6% a turn of getting a hero? That is double regular luck and three times Luck –1, so it is a big difference.

Of course, you have to combine this with your “real life luck’… In my last game, I was playing Caelum and a very mobile strategy, all flying units. I got the wingless national commander…

Caelos isn't much of a priest, and he is quite slow. He has too low hp to be a thug, as well. But what can you except from a wingless bird-man?

The Harab Seraphine is nice, though. I don't remember any others for Caelum, if Return of the Raptors doesn't have any. I haven't played that one much...

Vicious Love May 31st, 2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Cainehill said:

Of course, that enforced misfortune drops your chance to 2% a turn ( 3% base, +/- 1% per point of luck / misfortune - Misfortune 3 normally means zero chance of getting heroes under normal circumstances ).

But even with Luck-3, I've definately had test games get to at least turn 40 or 50 without a hero, probably real games as well.

I thought the base probability was 1.5%?