.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer & AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Dom III Gone Gold (Domiiigogo) - (Started) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=29908)

PashaDawg August 23rd, 2006 09:38 AM

Dom III Gone Gold (Domiiigogo) - (Started)

Settings:

PBEM: 1 turn every 24 hours for first 10 turns. Then, 3 turns per week unless players wish to keep up the pace.
Map: Albatha
# of Players: 5
Starting provinces: 1
Indie Strength: 7
Resources: standard default setting
Mods: Conceptual Balance Mod 5.4
Research: Standard default setting
Graphs: On
Game ends when I have Dom III in my paws, and I have preordered.
Victory condition: Player with greatest number of provinces wins. Ties are possible. (If players vote to keep playing... then we keep playing. I'm easy.)

Players:

Kissblade: R'lyeh
BigJMoney: Ulm
Pashadawg: C'Tis
Bluebird: Ermor
Djo: Machaka

BigJMoney August 23rd, 2006 11:28 AM

Re: 3.0 Gold Waiting Game - Short PBEM (Open)

I am game, and I'd like to call Ulm as my nation of choice. I'm not a hurry, but I don't really care how many players play, either. Let me know if there is a map I should download for this game.

=$= Big J Money =$=

KissBlade August 23rd, 2006 11:34 AM

Ryleh =)

BigJMoney August 23rd, 2006 12:29 PM

Oh yeah, what are the settings going to be? I'm used to playing stock SP with stock settings, except with Indies set to 5. Do I need to download that balance mod? If so, I'll need to take a look at some things, because I bet it will affect my strategy.

=$=

PashaDawg August 23rd, 2006 01:53 PM

I'll take C'Tis.

I have not thought much about settings. I'd suggest that we keep it simple. No mods. That way, we won't need to worry about the right versions, etc. We can pick the map once we know how many people are interested.

I suggest the following settings:

PBEM: 1 turn every 24 hours (or faster if players play fast) with extensions granted liberally upon request.
Map: TBA
# of Players: Based on interest
Starting provinces: 1
Indie Strength: 7
Resources: standard default setting
Mods: None
Research: Standard default setting
Graphs: On
Game ends when I have Dom III in my paws, and I have preordered.
Victory condition: Player with greatest number of provinces wins. Ties are possible.

How does that sound?

Pasha

KissBlade August 23rd, 2006 03:02 PM

I heavily advise 5.4b balance mods, IMO it just balances the game way better =\. Also I'd like to suggest ruling out death themes.

PashaDawg August 23rd, 2006 04:26 PM

I am happy excluding death themes, and I am happy using the balance mods, if that is what players prefer.

shovah August 23rd, 2006 04:44 PM

Caelum if non modded, abysia if modded.

Bluebird August 23rd, 2006 05:38 PM

Ermor, please ...

KissBlade August 23rd, 2006 05:39 PM

I'm voting on balance mods simply because the game is too broken without it.

BigJMoney August 23rd, 2006 06:38 PM

Well, I should probably vote for them too, since I don't realize what about the game is broken without them, so I would lose out on using those exploits! So....balance mod. All I need is the link to the appropriate thread and download.

I also suggest that even if we start out at 1 turn/24 hours, consider the fact that many games tend to go 3 turns per week. If we fall into something more like that, we should let it run that way. Also, when DomIII comes out, if we are only playing 3 times a week, you might find that you actually have the time to play this game to completion and still get your DomIII fix :-). Otherwise, allow someone else to host, and if you want to drop out when DomIII comes out, it doesn't have to stop the game.

=$=

PashaDawg August 23rd, 2006 08:29 PM

Certainly, if folks really, really wanna keep playing even after Dom III is out, then we can keep playing. No big deal.

I recognize that shovah would like to play, but he also has posted that his web will be down until Monday. I'd like this game to get going by this weekend if possible. So, I might make an executive decision and give him the "boot" this time. He's in many games anyway.

Let's plan to start at 1 turn / day until turn 10. Then we can decide whether make it 3 turns per week.

Pasha

shovah August 23rd, 2006 08:51 PM

boot me unless you dont start for some reason. Unmodded exploits are things like extremely good lifedrain weapons and false horror spam.

PashaDawg August 23rd, 2006 09:00 PM

Thanks, shovah. Nothing personal... I'd just like to get the game going.

Bluebird August 23rd, 2006 10:26 PM

Hmm - CB 5.4b somebody said. I do have 5.4, but not b - so I would also welcome somebody posting a link.

KissBlade August 23rd, 2006 10:38 PM

err... sorry not b. 5.4.

PashaDawg August 24th, 2006 04:39 PM

If we're not able to get more players, we could have a small game (4 - 5 players). That can be a lot of fun. The trick is choosing a properly small map.

djo August 24th, 2006 10:25 PM

I'll take Machaka.

BigJMoney August 25th, 2006 12:41 AM

Aaahhhh!! Productivity halved? Forge of the Ancients lv 9?! Agh man, they are trying to slaughter my Ulm strategies with Conceptual Balance. This will be kinda sucky for me, but I'm still in. Without the mod, I'd still get wacked by people who exploit the stuff that actually needed balancing in the Vanilla game.

=$=

PashaDawg August 25th, 2006 11:25 AM

Welcome djo!

BigJMoney - you're certainly welcome to change your nation if you wish.

PashaDawg August 25th, 2006 11:31 AM

So, should we try starting the game this weekend, or should we wait until Monday or Tuesday?

Folks should send me their email addresses via private messages. (I have djo's email already.) I will then respond with an email.

Any map preferences?

Pasha

BigJMoney August 25th, 2006 11:45 AM

I'm willing to start now, as long as we have 4. I think I counted 4. I'll send you my email, and I'll wait to send my pretender once you request it. I have some time off later this evening, and that should give me time to adjust my strategy and make my pretender.

=$=

PashaDawg August 25th, 2006 06:25 PM

Ok. Maybe we can start the game on Saturday. I will send out an email to all players tonight and then you can send me your pretenders.

I assume all players know to send me the .2h file from their "newlords" folder. The mods should be on when you create your pretender.

We need to pick a map that would be good for 5 players, including 1 water nation.

djo August 25th, 2006 07:32 PM

Everyone is agreed on CB5.4, right?

As for maps...Urgaia would work. Argaia has some frustrating connections, so I'd avoid it. Sundering has special sites, so also not so good for MP. Has anyone tried Albatha? Or Brittain?

quantum_mechani August 25th, 2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

BigJMoney said:
Productivity halved?

Gold income from productivity was doubled, recources from productivity increased by 50%.

BigJMoney August 25th, 2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

quantum_mechani said:
Quote:

BigJMoney said:
Productivity halved?

Gold income from productivity was doubled, recources from productivity increased by 50%.

Ah man, I hate dyslexia. I triple checked that to make sure it said what I thought it did. Thank you for pointing this out to me. It actually helps Ulm quite a bit :-) That 6% decrease in gold won't hurt too bad, but a 15% increase in productivity will be graciously accepted.

=$=

KissBlade August 25th, 2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

BigJMoney said:
Quote:

quantum_mechani said:
Quote:

BigJMoney said:
Productivity halved?

Ah man, I hate dyslexia. I triple checked that to make sure it said what I thought it did. Thank you for pointing this out to me. It actually helps Ulm quite a bit :-) That 6% decrease in gold won't hurt too bad, but a 15% increase in productivity will be graciously accepted.

=$=

Gold is doubled from the mod. =) So that'll be a 6% INCREASE.

PashaDawg August 25th, 2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

djo said:
Everyone is agreed on CB5.4, right?

As for maps...Urgaia would work. Argaia has some frustrating connections, so I'd avoid it. Sundering has special sites, so also not so good for MP. Has anyone tried Albatha? Or Brittain?

Yes. I think we have decided on CB 5.4 (the complete set).

I have played on Albatha several times. (It is available on Illwinter's map page for Dom II) I like it, and it would give R'lyeh plenty of water to slosh around in. I'd be up for that. (I have not found any defects in the map, but I am not particularly observant.)

Pasha

KissBlade August 25th, 2006 11:30 PM

I vote 60% magic sites =).

Bluebird August 26th, 2006 12:46 AM

I support the vote.

BigJMoney August 26th, 2006 02:49 AM

Okay, I'll download the map. I vote default magic sites. Just to let you know, in 12 hours, I am leaving town for a business meeting, and will not be back until like 3AM the next morning, at which time I will need to sleep. Let's really try and get this game started within the next 12 hours, so you guys aren't sitting around and waiting for me to get back to play turn1. I'll go ahead and send my pretender now, since I am goin to bed for about 8 hours.

=$=

PashaDawg August 26th, 2006 08:37 AM

I would prefer default magic sites... just because. But, we'll let djo break the tie.

I have only received one pretender so far. So, I suspect it might be difficult to start the game before BigJMoney takes off, because I plan to go to my office for a while in about 3 hours. We shall see.

Pasha

djo August 26th, 2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

PashaDawg said:
I would prefer default magic sites... just because. But, we'll let djo break the tie.

I don't have a preference, and I don't want the responsibility...so I'll flip a coin. Heads it is...default magic sites.

My pretender is sent.

Bluebird August 26th, 2006 09:34 AM

Did I not see it, or to which E-Mail do I have to post my pretender?

PashaDawg August 26th, 2006 09:44 AM

Hi Bluebird. I will send you a PM with my email. Did you not get the other email I sent yesterday?

BigJMoney August 26th, 2006 12:41 PM

I'm sure things will be okay. Even though I'll be gone a long while today, I should still get my turn in before you host again. Let's say you host at 2:30. You won't host again until 2:30 tomorrow, and I know I won't sleep THAT late. ;-D

Are we hosting on schedule regardless of who sends in turns? Let's not slack on that 1/day cycle. I'll be the first to say that we shouldn't make exceptions unless in emergencies. After all, we only have ~ a month to play this. If life allows, it would even be nice to have a few days where we can get 2 turns in.

=$=

PashaDawg August 26th, 2006 05:13 PM

Ermor Pretender

Hi All:

We're just waiting on Bluebird's pretender. Then we can start.

Pasha

Bluebird August 26th, 2006 09:48 PM

Re: Ermor Pretender

Pretender sent ... sorry for the delay. I had not received the mail yesterday. That was the first mail from you.

PashaDawg August 26th, 2006 10:19 PM

Game Started - Turn 1 Out

Hi All:

Turn 1 is out. Deadline is Sunday, August 27 at 9:00 p.m., Boston Time.

Let me know if there are any problems.

I used the Albatha Map. I like my placement. How about you guys?

No problem with the delay Bluebird. We started today. Yay!

Pasha

KissBlade August 27th, 2006 01:09 AM

Re: Game Started - Turn 1 Out

Heh, from the test games I ran, my starting position is less than optimal. =)

BigJMoney August 27th, 2006 03:36 AM

I have no idea what to think of my starting position. Then again, it is 0230h and I just got back in from out of state.

=$=

PashaDawg August 27th, 2006 08:44 AM

I just wanted to make sure no one was right next to someone else.

I say we keep going unless someone squawks now.

BTW, I did set a master password to the game so that we can turn a player to AI if they disappear, etc.

Pasha

djo August 27th, 2006 10:52 AM

I'm satisfied with my start position.

PashaDawg August 27th, 2006 12:02 PM

Re: Game Started - Turn 2

Turn 2 is out.

Deadline is Monday night at 9pm Boston Time, but I will host sooner than that if everyone is an eager beaver.

Pasha

Bluebird August 27th, 2006 02:13 PM

It is really a nice looking map, a pitty that I never played it before. And I am also quite happy with my starting position, though I have to see how it works out, some nasty Indies around. Lets hope I will not lose by pretender early in the game. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

djo August 27th, 2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Bluebird said:
some nasty Indies around.

That's an understatement...I have 2 land connections, one of which is a tough indie, the other is one of those impossible, did-I-really-read-that-right? indies.

BigJMoney August 27th, 2006 05:04 PM

That leads me to ask: do map makers determine what indies go in what province, or is it randomly determined?

I'm writing an AAR for this one in narrative format, and I want to post it as I write it because it's going to be very long, but I don't know if giving away minor details would give people too much of an advantage over me. I suppose I can keep people on their toes with misdirection, though, so I'll start posting it, and we can see how it goes.

=$=

BigJMoney August 27th, 2006 05:14 PM

Ulm Turn 1 -- The Transpired

I actually have this in MS Word format, which is easier to read. I can post it as an attachment instead, if people prefer.

Month 1 – The Year Of THE HAG

Erkeborn trod quickly the halls of the fathers. A woman, here? That alone was sacrilege, but for her to be further claiming the title of savior of the Ulmish children, the sons of the world was beyond sacrilege. He gathered that her name was Yohlla and that she had been preaching for some time in some villages down the mountain from the Great Keep. She was healing people and telling them that she would lead the sons of Ulm to take the lands of this world that belonged to them. She said she would do this because she was chosen to do it; that there could be no other way.

“Son, why the impatience?” an old voice asked from the front of the hall. Her back was turned, but it was obvious she could hear the echoes of his approaching footsteps. She must have assumed from his pace that he was impatient. Maybe in this case he was, but it was the same pace he set for himself every day for every duty.

“A woman is not permitted to be in the halls of the fathers. It is not a proper thing and, woman, I promise this is not the kind of attention you want for yourself. If you were not so old, I would have sent my guards to drag you out and whip you.”

“Erkeborn,” with back still turned, “what are you doing for your people right now? Are you successfully repelling barbarians? Are you saving food to give it to the poor? Are you teaching the armies of your people how to nurse their great city and fortress, coddling the people, and protecting them from criminals, hm?” The woman turned around, and he could see her face. She was not old. The woman’s voice sounded old, but she was a beautiful young woman. She was also frail like an old woman; she hobbled on a crutch and moved slowly, as if she had very little energy to spare. Yet, she was the most beautiful person he had every laid eyes on; a perfect example of Ulmish womanhood.

Her strange charm worked to disarm the growing anger he felt at her patronizing questions. Still, Erkeborn spoke these words, “These affairs are not yours to discuss! Women do not meddle with the duties of a man, and if you do not leave this hall, I must have you executed.”

“Before I leave, then, let me give you one piece of advice that will bless you. A scout of yours will return one day from the mountains to the south. He will tell you that the wild people of the Iron Range are scattered because they have been fighting with themselves. Do not believe me? Keep your ears open for this scout, personally. Get to him yourself, and you will see that his message has been ignored. This will show you that your officers are not motivated, and they do not care about the achievement of the people. Opportunity surrounds you on all sides Erkeborn, but without help, you and your people will ignore it. In the approaching years of your waxing dominance, you will be happy I have come to you.”

Before she stepped down from the dais, the commander was curious, so he and asked her, “And tell me, woman, what do you ask for in return for all of this? What do you want, and what would you ask of me?

“I ask that you let your people worship me, and when you see that they do, I later ask that you become my prophet.”

Again, her charm prevented him from acting from his own nature; that was, to fly at her with sword drawn and punish her. The two sides of him fought each other as she stepped down and slowly limped down the long hall. Erkeborn hated and loved this young crone.

djo August 27th, 2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

BigJMoney said:
That leads me to ask: do map makers determine what indies go in what province, or is it randomly determined?

They can if they want. In this case, they didn't--the albatha.map file contains nothing but terrain types and neighbors. I was so surprised by one of the indies near me that I went and checked myself.

You can look at the .map files in any text editor. There's a PDF called "mapedit.pdf" or something like that that explains the code. You can get it from "the usual places" (I'm too lazy to actually find it).

As for giving away intel in your AAR, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not a good enough player to take proper advantage of it anyway.

KissBlade August 27th, 2006 06:20 PM

Yay Scales bug on turn 3! =D This game will be fiscally challenging for me ...