.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Burden of Time - Does it affect enemies more? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47125)

Soyweiser March 5th, 2011 05:42 PM

Burden of Time - Does it affect enemies more?

According to the wiki:
Quote:

Small chance for all enemies in the entire world to gain an affliction or die of old age. The chance is about 1% to die and 5% to get a random affliction. Even pretenders can be affected. For all provinces, kills 2% pop per turn and 0-3 unrest (greater in enemy dominions). Additionally, units age a random number of years every turn (between 1 and 5 (?) years).
So are enemy units effected more?

OmikronWarrior March 6th, 2011 10:18 PM

Re: Burden of Time - Does it affect enemies more?

BoT is pretty close to being a game changing spell, and the effects will drastically hit your nation. Don't worry so much about quantifying the spell. Look at your nation and see how it stacks up to other nations to get a sense of whether or not you come out ahead in casting BoT.

For example, human nations with old mages and Abyssia are going to get hit the worst. Blood nations can sometimes mitigate this with Boots of Youth. Most mythical nations will only be partially effected, depending on the ages of units. Undead nations are only inconvenienced while LA Ermor is totally unaffected.

PriestyMan March 7th, 2011 01:30 AM

important point to note. Boots of Youth do *not* work for BoT. Many people have assumed this and been very very sadly dissapointed.

Finalgenesis March 7th, 2011 02:23 AM

I believe GoH to be the answer to it, though you would still be old and suffer it's stat penalty, Chalice should work but only 1 province. Those 2 ways are the only way to cure affliction on old age and undead units I believe.

Soyweiser March 7th, 2011 08:47 AM

Thanks for the answers. But I still want to know the answer to the original question.

And no offence, but "Don't worry so much about quantifying the spell." doesn't really help if you try to update the description on the wiki. I'll add a note regarding the Boots on the wiki.

SsSam March 7th, 2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmikronWarrior (Post 772590)
For example, human nations with old mages and Abyssia are going to get hit the worst.

Not so fast.

Once Abyssia has enough devils/demons and smoulderghosts, they are quite comfortable with burden of time.

I believe Gift of Health is the best counter to BOT. If you can get both of them up, your gonna do quite well.

Soyweiser March 7th, 2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SsSam (Post 772647)
Once Abyssia has enough devils/demons and smoulderghosts, they are quite comfortable with burden of time.

But the mages will all be dead in a few turns. Just hope you have enough units left to win the game. Abysia just lost the ability to create new troops.

SsSam March 7th, 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soyweiser (Post 772648)
Quote:

But the mages will all be dead in a few turns. Just hope you have enough units left to win the game. Abysia just lost the ability to create new troops.

...you should have blood summons that can keep the string going.
I agree it isn't optimal, but if you're in the late game, it isn't quite as crippling as it first appears.

Soyweiser March 7th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SsSam (Post 772654)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soyweiser (Post 772648)
Quote:

...you should have blood summons that can keep the string going.
I agree it isn't optimal, but if you're in the late game, it isn't quite as crippling as it first appears.

I disagree. Losing 90% of your mages in late game sucks. Hell, it sucks in any part of the game. Sure you might have some of the unique blood summons, and some vampires if you somehow acquired D. But if the BoT caster isn't harmed by the spell (r'lyeh for example), you are fubared.

Executor March 7th, 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

I believe Gift of Health is the best counter to BOT. If you can get both of them up, your gonna do quite well.

Actually, GoH or the Chalice don't help against BoT. Nothing does.
Even large SC's with high HP can't be saved if they get old cause they'll keep getting more and more afflictions that can't be healed as quick.