.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Water magic (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41009)

Nikelaos October 26th, 2008 05:54 AM

Re: Water magic

Prison of sedna can only be used in water can't it?

it's the one that freezes the water around the enemies i think, haven't used that in ages but can be usefull to hold back tramplers (shambler thralls come to mind) apart from that i think SCs and the larger water summons would break out after a few turns quite easily mind you i don't think the extra protection would do much for an SC so it does make one slightly more vulnerable for the time it is trapped in ice.

Xietor October 27th, 2008 12:15 AM

Maelstrom is good, as it gives you a lot of gems, including 5s a turn.

Bottles of water are really good. if you are defending against a lot of earth attacks and assassination spells, this helps a ton.

Rime hauberk is really good. At times i use it on seraphs when mr is not crucial to prevent the frozen heart attacks, and also to allow the seraph to fight units(typically undead) that have a chill aura).

frost brand-hard to beat for the price

boots of quickness-for me a must for all thugs and sc's that do not have water magic.

Water trolls-not a bad deal for 1 water gem a piece. Though it would be nice to see them get some sort of weapon like their earth counterparts. Maybe KO can hold a contest to think up the best weapon to give them. :)

Sea Turtles-i like them. Expensive at 15 w gems each. but decent mr and morale. and 5 of them can trample smaller thugs easily.

As far as spells frozen heart is the hallmark. Breath of winter can be a very effective situational buff. And of course quicken self is a standard must have buff.

Wolven winter is great to use against Ctis, and other cold blooded races/units. Especially before a big battle. It makes a difference if those Marshmasters are trying to skelly spam in a cold 3 province.

Wolven winter is also good to cast before a big battle if your troops are cold aura troops and you are in enemy dominion(heat).

I am always careful about killing enemy capital population. Especially if it is a capital i border. Since I know I am going to be owning that capital, in a sense I am killing my own future income.:)

SlipperyJim October 27th, 2008 10:43 AM

Nobody likes Ice Strike? I found it to be fairly effective in a recent SP game when I was playing LA Atlantis....

Gregstrom October 27th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K (Post 648100)
Neifle Flames is nice for that high quality AN damage, but it suffers from the problem that not only is chaff and Cold Resistance easy to come by in the late game, but Undead Cold resistant chaff is extremely easy to come by.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't that mean that Niefel Flames targetting would automatically bypass any undead chaff? Sounds quite useful.

militarist April 7th, 2010 03:04 AM

I think cold blast is very underestimated because of it's short range. But several water mages , properly positioned spamming cold blasts on enemies whom you allowed to come closer instead of wasting all your fatigue on cold bolts or sailor's deaths, feel quite safe and are very devastating. And you get this spell very, very early. Just put your mages not behind archers, but between archers and heavy protected guys.
I use sailor's death only when the enemy has more ranged power, and i attack. In this case you just can't use blast. Theoretically sailor's death should be effective against high-protected units. it is, at least better then clot bolts. But still worse then cold blasts, even with heavy protected ones. If you can win the placement game, of course. And some risk is always involved.

Ragnarok-X April 9th, 2010 06:04 PM

nice necro.

Maerlande April 10th, 2010 12:28 AM

But it's a decent comment. Militarist: Check out the wiki page on water path and add your comments to the discussion.

militarist April 10th, 2010 12:56 AM

Added to Wiki. It was a good idea,Maerlande.

Maerlande April 10th, 2010 03:32 AM

No problem. I'm not always a dickhead. And I promise to update the page asap.