.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI. Game Over. Team ACGHHS wins! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43928)

Septimius Severus September 12th, 2009 02:52 AM

Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI. Game Over. Team ACGHHS wins!

4 Attachment(s)
Game Status: The game is over. Team ACGHHS winning by concession @ turn 55.

Noobs and Vets game information links:

www.dom3minions.com/~nav/scores.html (score graphs)
www.dom3minions.com/~nav/bin/nav_chk.cgi (turns received)
www.dom3minions.com/~nav/stats.txt (staling data)

Here are the settings for the first game in the planned three game series:

Era: Early Age ......... Magic Research: Standard ........... Special Site Frequency: 45 .... Indy strength: 4
Score Graphs: On .. HOF Entries: 15 ............................ Random Events: Common ..... M/R/S Multiples: 100

Renaming: On ........ Starting Provinces:1 ..................... Mods: BI 2.1G, Custom AIs .... Server: Dom3Minions

Admin: Septimius Severus
Custom AI design and placement: Gandalf Parker
E-mail Address for Turn Submission: nav@dom3minions.com
Team Forums: Noobs & Vets HQ
Map Editor/Chat Utility: Scriblink Online Whiteboard (link courtesy of Gandalf)

Hosting Interval and Delays: First 10 turns @ 32 hours, 8 hours will be added every 10 turns thereafter with the maximum to be decided by consensus. Most delays (under 24 hrs) will be granted if accompanied by a PM to the admin(s), a forum post, and a reasonable amount of notice. Alternates/subs should be utilized for longer delays. There will be no rollbacks for any reason.

Nation Selection: Nation selection will begin once all human team slots have been filled and will be conducted via ordered list method. Vet team captains will receive first nation choice before the ordered list is resolved. After the resolution of the ordered list, swaps will be allowed from the unassigned pool. AI nations will then be assigned whatever is left.

Map and team placement: A randomly generated map will be used and starting locations defined as follows: The AI team in the center, with human teams placed to the north, south, east, and west of the AI team. Secondary/optional starts for the AI team may also be added. A neutral party will place teams into the predefined starting locations. By default the two most experienced players on each human team will be placed in the front or center with the noobs on the flanks or in the rear using the team roster below unless otherwise requested by team captains.

Team composition and qualifications: The teams will consist of 5 teams of 4 players each. The first four teams will be played by human players, the fifth by AI nations. Each human team will be composed of:

1 veteran Captain: 3 or more years of Dominions experience and/or Hall of Fame member.
1 intermediate level Lieutenant: 1 to 3 years of Dominions experience.
2 noobs: 1 year or less of Dominions experience.
2 alternates (optional but highly recommended). Alternate slots may be filled by either noobs or intermediate level players but not by vets.

Team Captain rights and responsibilities: Captains are responsible for their teams overall strategy and welfare, have the right to veto additions/deletions to their team (in consultation with the game admins) and alter/decide nation assignments, are charged with ensuring their team has alternates or subs available, and have final say over individual nation placement within their placement zone.

Communication: Teams may use the forums I have created here or make their own, use chat, e-mail, PM, in-game messaging, or any other method of communication they wish.

Victory Conditions: Eliminate every other team including the AI team or be the last team standing.

<table width="711" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" height="285"> <col width="43*"> <col width="43*"> <col width="43*"> <col width="46*"> <col width="40*"> <col width="42*"> <tbody><tr valign="TOP"> <td width="17%" align="center"> Team Name</td> <td width="17%" align="center"> The Mysterios
</td> <td width="17%" align="center"> Deva's Darlings
</td> <td width="18%" align="center"> The Blessed Ones
</td> <td width="15%" align="center"> ACGHHS </td> <td width="16%" align="center"> The AI Menace
</td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" valign="top">Team Captain Nation/Status
</td><td align="center" valign="top">Agema
Lanka
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">DrPraetorious
Neifelheim :aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">AlgaeNymph
Helheim :aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">chrispedersen
Mictlan
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Mag
Abysia :rip:
</td></tr><tr><td align="center" valign="top">Lieut/AI God
Nation/Status</td><td align="center" valign="top">Frozen Llama
Yomi :rip:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Frank Trollman
Ulm
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Stagger Lee
Tir' na' Nog
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Squirrelloid
Sauromatia
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Mali
C'tis
:rip:</td></tr> <tr><td align="center" valign="top">Player/AI God
Nation/Status</td><td align="center" valign="top">Septimius Severus
Fomoria
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">pyg
Hinnom
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">RabbitDynamite
T'ien C'hi :computer:
</td><td align="center" valign="top">chrispedersen
Pangaea
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Grenc
Ermor
:rip:</td></tr> <tr><td align="center" valign="top">Player/AI God
Nation/Status</td><td align="center" valign="top">Agusti
Kailasa
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Illuminated One Caelum :aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">viccio
Vanheim :computer:</td><td align="center" valign="top">GrudgeBringer
Arco
:aol:</td><td align="center" valign="top">Riora
Agartha :rip:</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">Team Advisor
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">Executor
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">None
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">Micah
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">None
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="center">N/A
</td></tr><tr valign="TOP"><td width="17%" align="center">Alternate
</td> <td width="17%" align="center"> Tam-Lin
</td><td width="17%" align="center"> CuriousCat
</td><td width="18%" align="center">PsiSoldier</td><td width="15%" align="center">shard </td> <td width="16%" align="center"> N/A
</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="17%" align="center"> Alternate
</td> <td width="17%" align="center"> sum1lost</td> <td width="17%" align="center"> Tarrax
</td> <td width="18%" align="center"> Makinus
</td> <td width="15%" align="center"> SciencePro
</td> <td width="16%" align="center"> N/A
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
And don't miss the next game in this exciting and innovative series featuring:
  • New teams and themes
  • More provinces to conquer
  • Additional special magic sites to claim
  • A deadlier and more powerful AI team to defeat
  • Introducing a new optional human played mercenary nation
  • New supporting roles for non-participants including advisors, diplomats, and spies
  • And much, much, more
Feel free to post suggestions if you have them. Thanks.

Historical links: NvV, NvVII, NvVIII, NvV Noob Forum Archives, NvV Vet Forum Archives, NaV Concept Thread

Septimius Severus September 12th, 2009 03:58 AM

Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Recruiting.

The story so far:

In the aftermath of the vets defeat in NvV III, noobs and vets now co-exist peacefully. The old animosities are forgotten and new lasting bonds of friendship are forged. Groups of former enemies come together forming mixed clans. The old ways are not long forgotten, however, and constant feuding between clans is the order of the day.

Till one day a new sinister threat emerges. Noobs and vets must now come together to fight this new scourge that threatens the existence of both races and of the clans themselves. This new breed of enemy are without feeling or emotion of any kind. Cold and calculating their bloodlust knows no end.

Can the mixed clans of noobs and vets come together long enough to defeat this common enemy? And if defeated which clan will then assume rulership over the world and put an end to this endless quarreling once and for all?

PsiSoldier September 12th, 2009 09:56 AM

I might join this one. I suppose I'd be the intermediate slot. Are we supposed to pick our nation now or wait till teams are created.

Septimius Severus September 12th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiSoldier (Post 709851)
I might join this one. I suppose I'd be the intermediate slot. Are we supposed to pick our nation now or wait till teams are created.

Nation selection will begin once we fill up the teams. Will be done via either ordered list or first come, first server.

There are alot of games starting now but they are mostly FFA type games, so hopefully there will be enough players (especially vets) who remain free enough to join a good team game.

pyg September 12th, 2009 04:39 PM

I've been following this thread for a bit and have interest in playing. I had a lot of fun with Sept. S., rdonj, and the gang in NvV I, a quick defeat in Yanging, and bailed out of boredom in a third game (Blood nations something). I have fairly considerable SP experience so I think I fall somewhere between intermediate and noob. I would be especially interested in being on a team with rdonj (please play) as I felt we had a good thing going in NvV I.

I also have some modding ability and can help there if needed.

rdonj September 12th, 2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyg (Post 709902)
I've been following this thread for a bit and have interest in playing. I had a lot of fun with Sept. S., rdonj, and the gang in NvV I, a quick defeat in Yanging, and bailed out of boredom in a third game (Blood nations something). I have fairly considerable SP experience so I think I fall somewhere between intermediate and noob. I would be especially interested in being on a team with rdonj (please play) as I felt we had a good thing going in NvV I.

Haha. With a personal request like that, I guess I can't say no. I thought you'd left us though, pyg. Well, I'm probably a low intermediate player myself, so if you want to say you're a noob, we can play on the same team ;)

I think we're going to have trouble getting vets to play in this game though. Many of them are pretty busy as of late, and NvV burned out quite a few of them. Plus I can't see vets really wanting to kill AIs. It might be best to just have intermediate players and noobs, the game would have a better chance of getting off the ground that way I think.

GrudgeBringer September 12th, 2009 05:56 PM

I am not sure I understand the whole thing but it looks like fun...

I don't know if I am considered a Noob, but I am not on the same level as a lot of the others as I never played SP and just ask a lot of questions (hence my Captain Status).:up:

ghoul31 September 12th, 2009 06:20 PM

I will play. I am a noob.

And I think the noobs should get first choice of races.

Septimius Severus September 13th, 2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyg (Post 709902)

Welcome back pyg, I thought you had left the scene as well. But glad to see you again. I'll put you in as a noob on the same team as rdonj, since you have limited MP experience.

Septimius Severus September 13th, 2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer (Post 709911)
I am not sure I understand the whole thing but it looks like fun...

I don't know if I am considered a Noob, but I am not on the same level as a lot of the others as I never played SP and just ask a lot of questions (hence my Captain Status).:up:

Welcome back Grudge. You'll benefit from the AI element in this game since you have limited SP experience. The premise is quite simple defeat all other teams including the AI team.

Septimius Severus September 13th, 2009 12:40 AM

Welcome PSI soldier, I'll put you in an intermediate slot (tentatively).

Welcome Ghoul. Glad to have you on board.

rdonj, yes I know many vets may be burned out or over extended however this concept is a bit different and represents a break from the NvV concept. Many of the vets had asked for smaller teams and they won't be playing together on the same team or up against huge odds.

The vets will have an opportunity to personally lead their group to victory. Let us hope they see the novelty and worth of this approach, if not yes, we could settle for some upper level intermediates like yourself instead.

Septimius Severus September 13th, 2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghoul31 (Post 709914)
And I think the noobs should get first choice of races.

With great responsibility comes great privileges, thus we may need to reserve first choice for the vet team captains. Once again this may be needed to help some vets "decide" to play but will not unbalance the game as each vet led team will be playing against each other.

Fantomen September 13th, 2009 07:27 PM

I´ll play. I think I fall somewhere in between the noob and intermediate rank, so I could fill either spot depending on other signups.

Septimius Severus September 13th, 2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantomen (Post 710063)
I´ll play. I think I fall somewhere in between the noob and intermediate rank, so I could fill either spot depending on other signups.

Welcome aboard Fantomen!

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 03:12 AM

I've played a couple dozen games, held out for half of them until someone was declared victor, and won one. Do I count as a vet?

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgaeNymph (Post 710084)
I've played a couple dozen games, held out for half of them until someone was declared victor, and won one. Do I count as a vet?

You'd probably fall into the intermediate category. If you'd like to join, I'll put you in an intermediate slot for now. Depending upon further signups the intermediate players may be promoted to the captaincy.

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 05:46 AM

Yes, I'd like to join. :)

viccio September 14th, 2009 08:45 AM

Ok, i'm in the game!

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 01:02 PM

Welcome Algae and welcome back viccio. I'll update the main post accordingly. If anyone wishes to switch teams of anything feel free.

I usually use # of forum posts and join date to give me a general idea of how long a player has been around. This of course is an arbitrary measure and doesn't mean much by itself for a multitude of reasons.

Who is a noob and who is a vet is a relative idea of course. For instance Algae may be a vet compared to me as I have only 4 MP and 1 or 2 SP games completed. Whereas Algae might be a noob compared to maybe Ironhawk or Zeldor.

Some players may have hundreds of SP games under their belt and extensive modding experience and forum posts but only a few MP games and still be a vet due to excellent grasp of game mechanics.

But generally in the context of the whole community I guess it refers to number of MP games played and generally implies numerous victories as a result of experience. If you've played in so many Dominions games that you can't count the number and/or your Shrapnel rank includes the word "General" and/or your in the Hall of Honor thread your likely a vet. Ultimately only you how much experience you have.

chrispedersen September 14th, 2009 02:14 PM

Hey Sept.

Kudos for continuing the thread, and for creating interesting games.

I'd like to join, I think I qualify as a vet. I'd like to be considered for the Devas, if they'll have me; EA-Mictlan please.

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 710170)
Hey Sept.

Kudos for continuing the thread, and for creating interesting games.

I'd like to join, I think I qualify as a vet. I'd like to be considered for the Devas, if they'll have me; EA-Mictlan please.

Welcome Chris, your in for the Devas as Mictlan.

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looking through the available Dom2 and Dom3 maps, the closest fit I could find to match my intended setup seems to be one of the WOG arena series. However those maps are too large and/or may not be AI friendly.

I have therefore created a simple non-wrapping waterless square random map and have proposed two alternate versions of starting locations.

Map legend:

Solid red circles are the AI team starts, hollow red cirles are optional or bonus AI starts (that is if it is possible to give the AI (and not the human teams) two starting locations.

All other colors are the human team starts (whoever does the AI builds will be deciding which human team goes where).

The purple x represents the approximate center of the map and may be a good location for a powerful magic site.

The first option has the human teams arranged in sort of a square formation, the second has them lined up in straight lines.

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 05:52 PM

Option 1 is much better, each player has more space.

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgaeNymph (Post 710226)
Option is much better, each player has more space.

Do you mean option 1?

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 06:05 PM

Oh.:o

Yes, Option 1.

pyg September 14th, 2009 06:41 PM

It appears to me that the AI starts are a bit high relative to the map... closer to the Green team and farther from the Blue one than exactly equidistant.

PsiSoldier September 14th, 2009 08:08 PM

Yeah, What Pyg said.. Like in one case the AI is only separated from green by 1 province where as it is separated from the opposing blue by 3 And the other green is separated by 2 spaces where the other blue is separated by 4 or 5.

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyg (Post 710239)
It appears to me that the AI starts are a bit high relative to the map... closer to the Green team and farther from the Blue one than exactly equidistant.

And this is for both maps.

chrispedersen September 14th, 2009 09:22 PM

Is there a .map file available?

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 01:55 AM

You guys are right, the AI's are a bit high and a little to close to green I just noticed it. The imprecision of a random map (the provinces are smaller to the south) has caused this though it actually looks dead center if you were to count the pixels. I'll make quick fix to make things a bit more even, but do you guys generally prefer the squarish setup that Algae Nymph chose or the straight line one?

Thanks for the input.

Chris, I'll include the unmodified .map file for those who wish to check province connections. I've made fairly certain that no starting position is directly neighboring another and that each starting locale has at least 4 neighbors. The map is 240 provinces large (15 per player).

To keep the corners from being neglected, I'll also likely move the extra/optional AI starting provinces to the corners if OK with everyone.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 02:05 AM

With regard to teams, apparently Executor has agreed to captain The Mysterios and I am moving Chris over to Noobheim. Ideally I would have liked to have the vet captains join first so they could assemble their team as they see fit within the guidelines, but I'd encourage everyone to be open minded as we finalize teams.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 02:53 AM

As captain, Executor may choose a nation now.

Is everyone OK with standard research or would you prefer easy research?

Thanks.

Executor September 15th, 2009 05:06 AM

Hello everyone,
So Cris took Mictlan? Than I'll take... Lanka.

I also prefer option 1 for starting position.

May I also ask where people stand about gem generators and if you'd be willing to include the mod Valerius created for his game Momentum2, not the whole mod but the tartarian related part.
Here's the link for Momentum2.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43775

chrispedersen September 15th, 2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Septimius Severus (Post 710300)
As captain, Executor may choose a nation now.

Is everyone OK with standard research or would you prefer easy research?

Thanks.

I'd prefer difficult research. But lacking that standard is ok.

DrPraetorious September 15th, 2009 12:36 PM

I'd prefer Easy research. Do we still need another captain? I'd be willing to captain team Deva.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 02:00 PM

Executor, Lanka is yours.

I personally would like to keep the game as plain as possible and limit the mods, bans, and all that other stuff that seem to be in vogue now. I've included BI to make the AI team a bit more competitive, but I'm generally conservative with changes to the stock game. However if the consensus is to propose a global agreement on gem gens and banned spells, or to use another mod that is fine by me. For us lesser experienced players and noobs it may not be an issue especially if the game doesn't run long.

Looks like mixed opinions regarding research so far.

Dr. P. if the Deva's are happy with you I don't see why you can't captain their team. If not, you can captain The Blessed Ones. We still need one more vet captain aside from yourself. What is your nation choice?

Option 1 seems to be the choice regarding map. I'm uploading a revised version of both though just in case.

DrPraetorious September 15th, 2009 02:33 PM

Hm... if I take EA Ermor, can I reserve Niefelheim for one of my lieutenants :)?

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the revised versions of both placement options.

I've moves the optional/second AI starts to the corners of the map:

1. So that players don't neglect the corners of the map and forget about those provinces in their mad rush to gobble the AI in the center.

2. To give the AI team an additional edge (assuming we can place two starts for each AI nation using #specstart or #start).

3. To provide more action and challenge for the members of the human teams who are on the flanks/in the rear other than going straight for the other human teams.

It's not perfect but neither is the map, hopefully though, one or the other will suffice. If someone can come up with a better placement suggestion feel free though.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPraetorious (Post 710350)
Hm... if I take EA Ermor, can I reserve Niefelheim for one of my lieutenants :)?

Nice try. :) Afraid not. Only the captains have first choice.

But if we do the rest of nation selection via ordered list your team can rank Niefelheim high, otherwise if we end up first come, first serve be sure to communicate with your team beforehand what nations each should take.

I'm guessing one of the other captains will grab it though. :D

DrPraetorious September 15th, 2009 03:03 PM

I don't think we really want a gem generator mod. If the game gets to that point, just let the gem horders win.

This game is not CBM? I'd prefer no-CBM, but if it *is* CBM I want EA Ermor, otherwise I want EA Niefelheim.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 03:08 PM

This game should prove interesting:

1. The early advantage might go to the team who's members have more SP experience as they'd be able to expand faster and defeat the AI led nations sooner giving them an early province lead and so forth.

2. However, if that same team is weak in MP experience, they'd soon lose whatever early advantage they gained.

Team captains must ensure that not only their team wins, but that the less experienced players on their team survive if possible. This will require great leadership skills and good communication and coordination.

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPraetorious (Post 710356)
I don't think we really want a gem generator mod. If the game gets to that point, just let the gem horders win.

This game is not CBM? I'd prefer no-CBM, but if it *is* CBM I want EA Ermor, otherwise I want EA Niefelheim.

Non-CBM, Neifelheim is yours.

chrispedersen September 15th, 2009 03:13 PM

Interesting. I quite enjoy EA-Ermor I haven't met others that do..

chrispedersen September 15th, 2009 03:15 PM

Blue Please.

Executor September 15th, 2009 03:38 PM

I'm for normal research, but I wouldn't mind any setting.
Non CBM? Uuu, that changes things, I already had my pretender more or less finished with CBM. How 'bout CB pretenders? :D:p

Hoplosternum September 15th, 2009 03:38 PM

Hi Sept. I would like to play if there is a slot left. I imagine I am an intermediate.

But I am also happy to not play and do some AI Pretender designs. I am happy with most of the map commands so I am sure I can beef up the AIs a bit if that is your plan.

chrispedersen September 15th, 2009 06:12 PM

Happy to have him on our team Sept.,

AlgaeNymph September 15th, 2009 10:21 PM

Whoever the vet for The Blessed Ones is, I advise you to assign me a nation that's good with turtling, that's how I end up playing.

Frozen Lama September 15th, 2009 10:27 PM

AHHHH, i so want to play, but i have two other games that are in their infancy...... :(

chrispedersen September 16th, 2009 12:13 AM

Frozen, would you like to be an alternate sub?
We'll keep you in the discussion, brain storm sessions. We'd love to have you!