.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Babylon 5 Mod (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=4494)

Val November 1st, 2001 08:47 PM

Babylon 5 Mod

I've been talking with Rambie, Atomannj and 2 other people (not on the thread yet) about putting together a Bab5 Mod for SE IV. So far we have some good shipsets for the EA, Narn, Centauri, Vorlons and League of Non-Aligned Worlds. I've also seen some decent Minbari and Shadow sets.

I'm in the process of setting up the map for the B5 universe, though it is taking me some time to create the solar systems.

We are also talking about setting up a tech tree that has a B5 flavor to it, which could be a daunting task as well. Perhaphs with racial specific techs for the different races to keep certain techs "off limits".

Ideas and what y'all would like to see are also most welcome.

If there is anyone interested, or anyone else that has done some B5 Mod work (or would like to), please let us know.

Val

Rambie November 2nd, 2001 07:31 AM

Re: Babylon 5 Mod

Val,

Sounds great, I'm in the process in posting all the released B5 races on my site... I need to get permission from all the developers first.

A new Version of the EA set will be released as well.

------------------
Rambie
www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm

Val November 2nd, 2001 11:15 PM

I heard from atomannj through E*Mail that it was ok to post his Centauri, LoNAW and Vorlon ship sets.

thorfrog November 2nd, 2001 11:31 PM

Hey guys! Please feel free to modify & post these ships sets.

Rambie November 5th, 2001 06:51 AM

Thanks, I'll try and get all the B5 shipsets uploaded onto my site by next weekend.

I've been working on a new B5 themed SE4 Intro screen for the Mod... it's starting to look good.

------------------
Rambie

zircher November 5th, 2001 08:50 PM

One of the perks to making ship sets for the lesser known races is that you can let your imagination run wild and there is no 'canon' material to say that you're wrong.*

Is there any race that matches such in your planned B5 mod?
--
TAZ

Val November 5th, 2001 09:09 PM

In a quick headcount on the map I am working on I found 42 different races, a good number of which I haven't seen much (if any) material on. I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet listing the different races, their respective age (Ancients, Mid-Born, Young), if there is background info and if anyone has made a shipset yet.

This doesn't even count all the Nomadic, Pirate and Independent Groups that could have their own ship sets.

Rambie November 6th, 2001 02:19 AM

zircher,

If you'd, or know anyone who would, like to make a set for any B5 race that'd be great!

------------------
Rambie

zircher November 6th, 2001 03:48 AM

I'm entertaining the idea or at least the art work side of the equation. (No experience in building AI files, yet.)

The Fire on the Suns PBEM game that I'm currently playing in is based on the B5 universe. My two allies in the 'Centauri Coalition' are the Gaim and the Hyach. Making up a fleet for either of them would be a two birds with one stone thing. :-)

The Gaim player is also a Lightwave user so that's got some potential there as well. I'll bounce the idea off of them and see if they'd be interested in helping me.
--
TAZ

Rambie November 6th, 2001 08:06 AM

I'd love to see the Gaim, or the Hyach, in the MOD! I haven't written an AI yet, Mephisto did a great job on the EA set and maybe he'd be willing to help out.

I think we'd all like to see any many races in the MOD as possible, so ask your friend who'd good at Lightwave. I've got some Drazi and Vree models that I could send him if he's interested in making any ship sets.

------------------
Rambie

zircher November 6th, 2001 07:55 PM

I think I'll give the Hyach a go. Both Steve and Mike are creative, if terribly slow, modellers. Regular Hyach Posts might motivate Mike (the LW user) to post more Gaim designs.

Check out http://zircher.iwarp.com/fots_3d/fotsb5.htm to see what his vision of the Gaim is. [Might be difficult to make an SE4 race set out of them.] FYI, all the models are built from scratch with the exception of the Narn Frazi which was taken from a mesh and retextured. Won't be seeing much more of the Narn in the gallery, by turn three all of their colonies are blockaded and major industries smashed. It's good to be the Emperor. :-)
--
TAZ

Master Belisarius November 6th, 2001 08:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rambie:
I'd love to see the Gaim, or the Hyach, in the MOD! I haven't written an AI yet, Mephisto did a great job on the EA set and maybe he'd be willing to help out.

I think we'd all like to see any many races in the MOD as possible, so ask your friend who'd good at Lightwave. I've got some Drazi and Vree models that I could send him if he's interested in making any ship sets.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If somebody need/want AI files for aggressive Races with Organic and/or Temporal habilities, I would love to fit the Aquilaeian/Pyrochette files for the B5 mod.

I can't commit a full new AI (I'm lack of time), but as I said, could fit the current AI files for the mod.

ZeroAdunn November 6th, 2001 09:22 PM

Man I love those images, I love B5 too. I made all the races for SEIII but sadly I have very poor 3D skills and a crapy 3d modler/renderer.

Anyone got any of these shipsets ready? I'm dying to download them!

Rambie there are some problems with your shipset, The Hyperion (what class is that ship anyways?) is actually smaller than the Nova class destroyer. And a whitestar is smaller than The Hyperion. The ShadOmega (omega-X whatever) is the same size as the Omega.

Thats all....

thorfrog November 6th, 2001 11:19 PM

This is great to see this much interest!

Val November 7th, 2001 09:08 PM

It would be great to get as many races defined as possible, even if someone only wants/has time/is able to do the 3d rendering, I'm sure we can find people that are interested in doing the AI. Not to mention Master Belisarius' excellent AIs that could be adapted over to the B5 Mod. I don't think there are many temporal races in B5, but that doesn't mean a new race couldn't be added or one of the lesser defined ones could be used.

If we can get an idea as to who wants to do what race, then we can hopefully avoid double work and get to a finished Mod that much quicker.

Also, I have finished the basic map (attached B5.map) for the B5 universe Mod. I based it on the Agent's of Gaming Bab5 Wars game map.

I still need to fill out the systems with planets and I am trying to keep with the B5 history (with habitable planets where they mention them). Does anyone know if there is a way to generate random solar systems within a map that is already created?

As of right now I have all the worm holes 'stacked' in each system to be more like the jump gates in B5. What I would really like to do is put a delay on the jump points. Does anyone know if this is possible? Would we be able to add an effect/ability like like "Warp Point - Jump Delay"?

ZeroAdunn November 7th, 2001 10:08 PM

Sadly there is no way you can generate systems within in the map editor.

Here is one of my favorite sites for b5 ship info: <A HREF="http://hyperspace.isnust started talking about the tech/components. That is probably going to be the most time consuming part, and the part we would need the most help with. On the brighter side it will be the easiest one to integrate multiple works into a single file. We are probably going for racial specific tech trees to keep certain techs in certain races hands alone, so there isn't a Drazi player cruising around with a Vorlon Lightning Cannon.

Zircher:

Love the Hyach ship, really neat style! The only thing I have about the Hyach is a blurb from B5 Wars and a ship sheet silhouette. It is a battle cruiser and features a spinal mounted laser. If you want it, let me know. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

zircher November 13th, 2001 08:38 PM

&gt; Love the Hyach ship, really neat style!

Thanks.

&gt; The only thing I have about the Hyach is a
&gt; blurb from B5 Wars and a ship sheet
&gt; silhouette. It is a battle cruiser and
&gt; features a spinal mounted laser. If you
&gt; want it, let me know. Looking forward to
&gt; seeing the final product!

I'm undecided as to whether I consider AoG's stuff usuable or not. [Leaves out comments about butchered game mechanics and spitting on people.] I've only see one picture and I'm not impressed. On the other hand, Max Blagg is a member of the FOTS_3D group, I do like his work, and he did design some of AoG's models (unfortunately not the Hyach.)

I might give the dripping snot cruisers a try. But, I saw nothing in the show that backs up that particular technology. Need to do more research. Anyone got episode 95, Secrets of the Soul, on tape? Any description (or screen shots) of Hyach technology would be appreciated.
--
TAZ

[My Bad, gave credit to the wrong person.]

[This message has been edited by zircher (edited 14 November 2001).]

thorfrog November 13th, 2001 08:44 PM

How about we put together a list of weapon systems to be included for this B5 mod. Basic start of the tech tree.

General Tech - tech open to all races
--------------------------------------
Laser Weapons-
-Light Laser cannons (long reload, strong)
-Heavy Laser cannons (Long reload, very strong)
-Lite/Heavy pulse lasers (to hit bonus)
-L/H particle lasers (quicker reload)

Missiles-
-Small & Large missile types
-Fusion
-Nuclear

Planetary Bombardment
-Mass drivers (Political backlash penalty)

Plasma (armor penetration)
-torpedo
-cannons (long reload)

Anti-matter
-cannon

Earth Alliance
-------------------------------
Shields
-Defense Grid Energy Projectors (weak d

Projectile
-Railguns (long range)

Centauri
---------------------------------
Particle
-Twin Particle arrays (to hit bonus)

Ion
-Ion Cannons
-Gravimetric Defense Grid

Narn
-Energy Mine (fighter defense, small, to hit bonus)

Defense shield
-Electromagnetic Defenses

Minbari
-----------------------------------
Gravitic
-Gravitic Neutron Cannons (shield piercing, long reload)
-Gravitic Fusion Beam Cannons (shield piercing)

Neutron
-Cannons (shield piercing)

-Minbari Stealth Device
-Defense Shield Grid

Shadows
Slicer Beams (shield piercing, armor piercing)
Jump Point Disrupter
Bio-Organic armored hull
Shadow Shields (phased shields)
Tractor Beams
Phased Hyperspace Cloaking Dev
Death Cloud

Vorlon
----------------------------------
Vorlon Shields (phased shields)
Tractor Beams
Vorlon Sensor Jammers
Super Death Ray (planet destroying)
Death Ray Cannons (high damage,sp,ap,long reload)
Flame Beams (shield piercing)
Lightning Guns (armor piercing)

Val November 13th, 2001 10:49 PM

Looks like a good start for the tech lists. We also have to remember to add all the non-military techs that made the B5 universe what it is.

Not sure if this is a given or not, but we should have the techs have different levels (just like in SE4) to represent a 'prototype' Heavy Laser as well as an 'advanced' model Heavy Laser.

thorfrog November 13th, 2001 11:14 PM

I like the idea of proto type and advanced. I figured levels were a given.

Additional tech would be like gravity drives, artificial gravity, rotating sections, self repair units, ect.

Suicide Junkie November 14th, 2001 01:05 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Missiles-
-Small & Large missile types
-Fusion
-Nuclear<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So, small & large chemical warheads (chemical = C4 style blam, not poison).
Then fission warheads, then fusion warheads, then maybe antimatter warheads.
'Cause nuclear includes Fusion, you know http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif.

--------------------

Just to clarify something, atomannj:
What do you mean by shields?

Nothing like original SE4, I hope.

"Electromagnetic Defenses" would be ECM
"Gravimetric Defense Grid" would be a crystalline effect (subtract damage by slowing the projectile)
Shadow ships' defenses are probably best modeled by a large emmissive armor ability (if it ever gets fixed), or crystalline in the meantime.

----------------------

There are more than enough ways to make defenses that don't require a shield to be worn down before the ship is damaged.

1) Defense % bonus. (ECM style)
- lots of varieties possible, most included in standard SE4, but they could be beefed up and spread out in the tech tree

2) Classic armor.
- I'd reccommend making beam weapons skip armor, since they put a tiny hole in the armor, then gut your ship http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/ima...ons/icon12.gif
- Kinetic and plasma weapons can be non-armor skipping, since they just bLast the surface of the ship to bits.

3) Emissive armor.
- unfortunately, this ability has not been fixed, but the effect can be modeled using the crystalline armor ability.
- Be sure to make it a "one-per-vehicle" thing, or your players will build invulnerable ships
- great for ships like the shadows, who can absorb one solid hit for an unlimited time, but is wiped out by any more than that.
Given the crytalline ability, and the minimum required shield points to support that crys ability, it will work great, ignoring weak hits.

4) Internal "armor"
- by making tough, but inert components, you can simulate a B5 type armor.
In this case, most shots do some internal damage, but not the full amount. The more armor added, the smaller the chance that an internal component will be lost.
In order to punch through all that armor, beam weapons simply do LOTS of damage.
A ship peppered by small hits will occasionally lose a critical component, and it could happen at any time.
A beam weapon would slice off perhaps 1/6th of the ship, depending on size, instantly crippling the ship.

5) Organic Armor.
- As seen in SE4, also potential use combined with another type of armor

6) Organic internals.
- make all components (not armor) regenerate, but keep the values very small (zero or one for most).
-When designing a ship, place components in the order you wish your damage control teams to work. eg: bridge first, then one weapon, then sensors, then one lifesupport, then point-defense...
The organic regen will happen in that order.
- make Damage Control Team component, with a large value for OA.
- a cruiser with DCTs for 30 OA regen per turn can repair three minor (10 hitpoint)components per turn (Eg. emergency patch an atmosphere leak (lifesupport component)), or can fix a light weapon in 3 combat turns (90 hitpoints).
All values are subject to scaling!

---------------------

From what I've seen of B5, everybody maxes out on type 1 defenses. Mainly, since once you are hit, you are dead meat.
Type 6 is pretty weak for most ships, but does occur according to plot http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/ima...ons/icon12.gif Ships which are holed early, and then given lots of time alone could jury-rig a gun to fire potshots, for example.
Type 4 armor is good, since fighters can pop lots of shots into the big ships to wear them down, and the big ships can slice each other in two. Also, there is a little bit of Type 3 in every armor. The old ships have very low amounts, but they can stop small arms without suffering significant damage. The older races have moderate ability values, and the shadows & vorlons have lots.

Val November 16th, 2001 04:57 PM

SJ has a lot of good points that should get the tech going in the right direction. I also agree with the assessment on B5 and shields.

Just for fun, I tossed all the B5 systems into a SystemNames.txt file - the same systems from the map posted earlier. I also added the EmpireTypes and Names and added some default Colony and Design types. This was all to add to the feel of the eventual B5 mod.

Enjoy http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif

[This message has been edited by Val (edited 16 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Val (edited 17 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Val (edited 17 November 2001).]

zircher November 17th, 2001 03:32 AM

A good friend just sent me a couple of B5W books. As depressing as it may be, JMS likes AoG, so I guess I'll give AoG's Version of the Hyach a try.
--
TAZ

Here's the current Version:

http://zircher.iwarp.com/fots_3d/images/hyach_test2.jpg

Yea or nay, comments?

[This message has been edited by zircher (edited 17 November 2001).]

zircher November 21st, 2001 07:53 AM

Updated fleet sheet for the Hyach, over the half way point in the models department.
--
TAZ

chewy027 November 21st, 2001 08:05 AM

nice zircher. i think i see some parts in there from doga http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/ima...ons/icon12.gif

tesco samoa November 21st, 2001 06:56 PM

Correct me if I am wrong

but wasn't it just the Centauri who used Mass Drivers.

( Loved that esp. )

------------------
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

ZeroAdunn November 21st, 2001 08:04 PM

Everyone had massdrivers, just nobody would use them because it was such a devestating weapon.

tesco samoa November 21st, 2001 08:31 PM

Was this link ever mentioned
http://www.tp2b.de

Mass drivers use asteroids freely available in space, accelerated and
fired into a planetary atmosphere.

Very cool weapon. I think I would limit it to just the centari. For show to game sake

http://www.alphaomega.fr/contenu/car...extall/ext.htm

has a nice list of events for the bab5 universe.

IF you want to follow the french (in the other parts of this site)just go to this site http://www.rahul.net/lai/temain.html and pick your engine if you cannot read fr.

------------------

tesco samoa November 21st, 2001 08:32 PM

http://b5.sdvc.uwyo.edu/bab5/b5-m.html

another bab5 link. sound files.

Yea I know. Every BAB5 geek flocked to SE.

So to the 20 of us.

We found our home.

HAHHAHA

------------------

zircher November 21st, 2001 10:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tesco samoa:
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it just the Centauri who used Mass Drivers.
( Loved that esp. )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they do (if you're referring to the Hyach vessels, they are keen on big spinal lasers.)

In the FOTS:B5 game that play, the Gaim will be landing troops on Narn next turn. I plan on using them as forward observers so I (the Centauri player) can go bunker busting with mass drivers. Easy as shooting Narns in a pit... ;-)
--
TAZ

Suicide Junkie November 21st, 2001 11:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>bunker busting with mass drivers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bunker busting, you say?
Aren't mass drivers more of a Nuke 'em to glass weapon, without all the radioactive fallout?
I suppose it really depends on the size, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a continent-buster rock, especially if you've got a powerful driver and are approaching on the "downhill" solar slope. You'd be glassing whole provinces at a time even with the more moderate rocks.

If you were just trying to destroy major cities and military bases, a capital ship laser (or fleet thereof) would have done the job conventionally, though it would take longer.

[This message has been edited by suicide_junkie (edited 21 November 2001).]

Phoenix-D November 22nd, 2001 12:25 AM

Well, if you nuke em to glass, you gennerally get the bunker too.. http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif

Phoenix-D

oleg November 22nd, 2001 05:43 PM

I uploaded a new Version of Vorlon ship set by Atomanj and myself. It is in Space empires/races section. I think it looks a little bit better now but certainly is still far from perfect.

Cheers, Oleg.

zircher November 22nd, 2001 05:56 PM

Just using the mass drivers as pea shooters to wipe out the stubborn parts of the Narn resistance without destroying their economy or biosphere. Glassing them from orbit is easy, controlling their planet and making them a productive member of society is the tricky part. :-)
--
TAZ

Suicide Junkie November 22nd, 2001 06:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just using the mass drivers as pea shooters to wipe out the stubborn parts of the Narn resistance without destroying their economy or biosphere. Glassing them from orbit is easy, controlling their planet and making them a productive member of society is the tricky part. :-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Prolonged use of unconventional weapons could be very detrimental to your galactic image, (not that its a very good one at the moment).
Couldn't you just use the main guns on your ships to bLast deep holes in the bunkers? Unless they're very very deep, or under a good deal of water, in which case use depth charges of some sort, or seal 'em off underground by burying the entrances under rubble.
Very few should require a mass driver to destroy.

Val November 24th, 2001 06:19 PM

From reading some of the B5 history stuff, it looks like the Dilgar also used the Mass Drivers during their conquest.

tesco samoa November 24th, 2001 08:00 PM

Dilgar EH.

Did not know that.

Was that in the books ???

Val November 25th, 2001 07:28 PM

If I remember correctly, it was in some of the Agents of Gaming history on the Dilgar. They mentioned that the only two races that used the Mass Drivers in 'recent' history were the Centauri and the Dilgar. They also mentioned somewhere that the Dilgar had used Mass Drivers to pummel the Giam homeworld as a precursor to a landing troops, though it did them little good.

zircher November 26th, 2001 11:32 PM

The B5W Ships of the Fleet book is good for that kind of trivia.

The turn 5 invasion of Narn failed with the bloody destruction of both invaders and defenders (both Narn and Gaim are wicked ground fighters.) The only survivors were the Centauri in high orbit that pounded the life out of the surviving Narn military units that the Gaim had exposed. Forty six battalians plus a slew of Centauri gunboats and fighters got wiped out.

As the Emperor, I felt compelled to issue an ultimatum demanding the total surrender of Narn or the fleet will start destroying civilian targets. I have no problem killing a billion Narns to honor the Gaim losses. Of course, the final decision lies with the Narn government and its people.

On the just for fun side, the Dilgar player sent me a note saying that they thought the ultimatum was 'justifiable'. :-)

Due to a massive three day system updgrade at work, I haven't had the time or energy to do more Hyach models, but I plan to work on them this week.
--
TAZ

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: zircher ]</p>

Val November 28th, 2001 12:32 AM

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tesco samoa:
http://b5.sdvc.uwyo.edu/bab5/b5-m.html

another bab5 link. sound files.

Yea I know. Every BAB5 geek flocked to SE.

So to the 20 of us.

We found our home.

HAHHAHA

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for all the great links, I downloaded some sounds to go with the components I'm working on and (although a little large) it sounds great!

I saw a preview of Rambie's title page for the B5 Project and it looks incredible!!!

Thanks to Oleg as well for E*Mailing me the Vorlon Shipset http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

By Thursday I should have an Excel sheet with all the various weapon types (have this part done already) and their damage values (almost done, want to add min/max and ranges).

I also made some adjustments in the Data files (Ramsie pointed out I had Minbari in twice and some other errors) and started a mod info file for modpicker crediting everyone who has been helping to date. I'm hoping to at least have a rough mod for us by the end of the year.

Until the upload file thing is fixed, please let me know if anyone wants any of this E*Mailed to them and I will try to keep up http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Suicide Junkie November 28th, 2001 06:26 PM

Just wondering what you guys thought of my "defenses" post (previous page in thread).

If you want, I can make some example components that you could test in the SE4 simulator.
(Just generic weapons and some detail in defenses: engines, C&C, and the rest I won't touch yet. Just move the ships into range and start slugging it out http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif )

Val November 29th, 2001 04:27 PM

SJ, the help would be more than welcome! I liked the armor ideas, but haven't gotten that far yet. I am still working on the weapons and trying to balance them out, right now I have about 110 different weapons (some just variant classes of the same - like Light/Medium/Heavy Lasers) and I haven't even started on the ballistic weapons yet (7 Different Mounts and 20 Different Missile/Torpedo types).

President_Elect_Shang November 29th, 2001 04:49 PM

Have you read the Sci-Fi Crossover thread? I would love to take a look at what you have (the components.txt) so far. It would give me a BIG jump in the 1st draft I hope to get working on as soon as I get the blessings &lt;fingers crossed&gt;!

Val November 29th, 2001 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to keep up with it, and trying to avoid double work. We are hoping to balance the weapons and components as we work on them, this way it will slide into the rest (the cross-over mod) a little easier.

Most of the components are still in Excel spreadsheets, but I am testing some this weekend (afraid that is the only time I have) and will be glad to send them to you.

Suicide Junkie November 29th, 2001 05:42 PM

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>SJ, the help would be more than welcome! I liked the armor ideas, but haven't gotten that far yet. I am still working on the weapons and trying to balance them out, ...<hr></blockquote>The weapon balance will depend a lot on the defense system.

For one, every combat-repairable internal component must have one point of OA ability, or nothing works.
So, we need to scale up the hitpoints/damage of everything in order to keep the repair rates down to a reasonable level.
How many small, 10kt components could be repaired in one combat turn? How long should it take to patch together one of the guns in a defense turret, if it is actually possible?

The repairable list should include:
- lifesupport
- crew quarters
- supply storage (supplies over max at any time are still lost)
- cargo (same condition as above)
- sensors
- unit launch?
- aux con? (repair = putting out fires & whatnot?)
- tiny weapons?

Add up the number of the above that will be included in a typical ship, and multiply by the number of turns you require to repair an item. That's how many hitpoints the item must have, minimum.
We should also add some dedicated "Damage Control Teams", (20-60 ability points?) which do nothing but provide extra repairs.

thorfrog November 29th, 2001 06:02 PM

We need to organize this mod a bit. We could get more done in less time. Let divide parts of this mod to different people. First we need a team lead. Then break down the the different parts of the mod.

-interface graphics
-Components
-mapping
-race AI (broken up by the races)
Race AI should have one for un-modded and modded races.
-sound effects and presentation

One more thing, someone should host a web page to co-ordinate this effort.

What do you all think?

President_Elect_Shang November 29th, 2001 06:48 PM

I am for putting in support on the tech, I have become very good at working around problems like the repair issue etc and keeping the size of the unit down to a min. I hate having to create a weapon that does 200 pts damage becouse one component on an escort needs 200 to be blown to bits (for example).
As for the spreadsheet, send it on over. I work on the weekends so I can take a first look at night and let you know what I think of it. I still say I can produce a 1st draft by wed or thur (I do so love deadlines) and if I get the blessing to work on the Sci-Fi mod techs than that takes care of the problem of "balance" between the diffrent Groups (Star Wars, etc..)
As for a side note I have completed adjusting everything in the data file of my personal mod (no one else may like it). Now I just need to work on the AI (till then I will play test against myself) and would not mind if someone else wanted to take a look at it. I warn you now, it is very specialized to the StarFire game universe. Brave poeple only!

Val November 29th, 2001 07:05 PM

I'd be happy to act as a coordinator for this, if nobody objects. I have already put together most of the stuff from eveyone and have been keeping it up to date as much as possible.

I know Ramsie has finished an opening screen shot for the mod (which looks fantastic) and is going to work up BMPs for Lose/HumnDead/Victory that will be more B5 oriented.

Atomannj and Oleg have been working on Vorlons, Shadows, Centauri and LNAW.

I can't remember who originally posted the Minbari, but I know Atomannj had reworked them.

Rambie has the EA and Narn.

Zircher is working on the Hyach and Gaim(I think).

I've taken some of the currently available stuff and started breaking down the LNAW into the various races (Brakiri, Drazi and Vree for now) and started a Raider race as well.

SJ and myself are starting to combine ideas on the components side. This is also being matched up with the Sci-Fi Crossover mod to make the tech balanced with the Star Trek/Star Wars (and thereby other SE IV) races. President Elect Shang has also offered his help (which will be gladly taken up).

I've asked Jourin if we can use his cultures.txt file in the mod (pretty well balanced) and I have already modified several of the other data files and started a Mod info file with a history.

I'm also working on the Map - creating all those systems is a real pain.

Tesco Samon pointed me in the right direction for the sound files.

Imperator Fyron offered his assistance with the AI.

Finally, Pheonix-D and Zero Adunn have expressed some interest as well.

Did I leave anyone out?

thorfrog November 29th, 2001 09:02 PM

Ship sizes I think the dreadnought should be alot larger in ship space. And I think planet destroying weapons should be massive in size too. Not something that can eventually placed on a cruiser. I keep thinking on how the Vorlons and the Shadows would send these massive planet cracking ships. These things could bloack out the sun. They should be aleast the size of a starbase. Maybe rework the baseship. Or give the baseship a seperate model. What do you all think?

ZeroAdunn November 29th, 2001 09:07 PM

Shadows didn't have a reall planet killer, their weapon was essentially a whole horde of missiles that burrowed into a planets core and released tons of crap onto the planet. The planet was still there, just seriously crapped on.