.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Dominions 3 News! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=28120)

Annette March 23rd, 2006 10:04 AM

Dominions 3 News!

News Release For Immediate Release

The Awakening Is Nigh!
Dominions 3: The Awakening Unshackles From Its Immortal Slumber!

Cary, NC, 23 March 2006

Lo, mortals, the time is almost upon you! Prepare thyself, for the supreme battle of the
cosmos is once more at hand! The sequel to the smash fantasy 4X strategy title,
Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars, is coming! So stock up on the caffeinated
beverages, get yourself a comfortable chair, and break all social ties! Let not sleep, a
sore backside, or annoying friends and family come between you and total godhood!
Awaken your god! Destroy the infidels! Reign supreme! Muu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Shrapnel Games is pleased to announce that Dominions 3: The Awakening, the next
exciting chapter in the Dominions saga, is now available for pre-order and is projecyed to
go Gold in June. Developed by Sweden-based Illwinter Game Design, Dominions 3:
The Awakening is a multi-OS turn-based fantasy 4X strategy game that will come to
dominate your gaming life. Gaming life? Just make that life in general!

Officially announced in October 2004 and recently hailed in Computer Games Magazine
as one of the most anticipated titles of 2006, Dominions 3: The Awakening will be
available for Windows, Mac, and Linux systems and features the robust gameplay that
strategy gamers around the world have craved in the Dominions series. The wizards at
Illwinter Game Design have been hard at work listening to the fanbase and Dominions 3:
The Awakening is poised to be the ultimate Dominions.

Gamers can expect the ability to play with up to twenty-one players in a single game,
either controlled by the tough AI or other carbon-based lifeforms. Gameplay, though as
feature-rich as ever, has been streamlined to make the game more accessible. There is a
lot less micromanagement to worry about, allowing players to spend more time enjoying
the best aspects of being a conquering nation (like taking blood slaves, and destroying
your enemies) instead of the mundane world of tax assessment. A comprehensive
manual written by veteran computer game scribe Bruce Geryk will also ease players into
the third installment.

Dominions 3: The Awakening boasts three ages to play in and fifty different nations.
Some are brand new, others have been revised from earlier games. Some of these new
nations include:

Marverni: Inspired by the Gallic tribes described by Caesar, Maeverni is a semi-civilized
nation consisting of several tribes sharing common traits. Vergobrets, their village
magistrates serve as priests for their armies, and the Marverni druids are looked upon to
show the way for the tribes.

Patala: Inspired by Indian and Hindu myths, it is a nation of apes ruled by serpent
creatures called nagas. A strict hierarchical caste system governs the apes, while the
nagas oversees all. The nagas are divine beings from the nether realm of Patala, where
all rivers spring.

Jomon: Ancient Japan influences this nation. Enslaved by the evil bakemono, the
humans of Jomon rebelled and cast off their yokes of bondage. A feudal society
emerged, organized around daimyos and their band of warriors. Warfare is now a very
ritualized affair.

Right now you can pre-order what will be one of the most talked about games of 2006 for
the discounted price of $47.50 at the Shrapnel Games e-store, the Gamers Front. The
Gamers Front (www.gamersfront.com/xcart/home.php) is the only place you can pre-
order Dominions 3: The Awakening and be guaranteed to be one of the first people on
your block to get it when it ships. Be sure to take advantage of the pre-order price soon,
because after May 20, 2006, the price will be $54.95.

For more information on Dominions 3: The Awakening, or any of our other award-
winning lineup of titles, please visit us at www.shrapnelgames.com. Shrapnel Games is
also the best place to get news, download demos, or hear about updates concerning all
your favorite Shrapnel titles.

About the Companies

Illwinter Game Design is based in Sweden, specifically the southern towns of Malm and
Lund. Formed many years ago with the intent to create massive fantasy turn-based
strategy games Illwinter consists of Johan Karlsson and Kristoffer Osterman. By trade
Johan is a computer engineer and Kristoffer is a teacher of religion and social studies.
Johan Osterman and Daniel Serra also help contribute.

Illwinter Game Design's previous titles include Conquest of Elysium I and II, and of
course the Dominions series. All of these games share the bond of fantasy turn-based
gaming with more creatures and features stuffed into them than usually allowed by law.
Inspiration comes from many different sources, such as the various Rogue games (more
stuff = more goodness), Masters of Magic (turn-based fantasy), VGA Planets (PBEM is
fun), and pen-and-paper RPGs.

Shrapnel Games began life online located in Cary, North Carolina but recently moved to
Hampstead, North Carolina. Founded in 1999 by industry veteran Timothy W. Brooks
(designer of the turn-based tactical simulation, 101st: The Airborne Invasion of
Normandy, among other titles) Shrapnel Games has been providing gamers with the very
best independent strategy and consim titles, many of which are award-winning.

Recently released titles include Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Land of Legends,
The Star and the Crescent, and Horse and Musket 2: Prussia's Glory. From outer space
to fantasy realms to sailing the high seas in the Age of Sail, the Shrapnel Games catalog
is full of unique titles that will please discriminating gamers of all tastes.

For press related information please contact Scott R. Krol at: skrol@shrapnelgames.com

To visit our company blog go to www.shrapnelcommunity.com/blog/

For all other information, please contact:

Timothy W. Brooks
PO Box 488
Hampstead, NC 27523
910-270-9891
tbrooks@shrapnelgames.com

Ed Kolis March 23rd, 2006 11:23 AM

Re: Dominions 3 News!

Oh, great... Now I am actually *hoping* SE5 is delayed once again, just so I don't have too great a drain on my budget and time in June! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Alneyan March 23rd, 2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Ed Kolis said:
Oh, great... Now I am actually *hoping* SE5 is delayed once again, just so I don't have too great a drain on my budget and time in June! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Well, you can help fate a bit. You know, steal the gold CD, or try to destroy Aaron's computer (and all backups), or something along these lines.

I will deny any involvement with your nefarious actions, should you manage to be caught and put on trial. Once I ascend, I will beatify you, though.

Sammas March 23rd, 2006 05:39 PM

Excellent news.

The "tough AI" sounds good for us single-player people, but is there a campaign?

Johan K March 24th, 2006 12:31 PM

There is no campaign as in multiple scenarios that are linked together somehow. But I guess there will be a single player scenario or two just like in dom2.

Terl March 24th, 2006 12:54 PM

Quote:

Ed Kolis said:

I know what you mean! I preordered Dominions 3 now so when I get SEV later itwon't be as bad. Time? Oy.... that will be gone.

Daynarr March 24th, 2006 04:15 PM

With those 2 games you can kiss your social life goodbye.

Just remember to eat and sleep sometimes. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Atrocities April 6th, 2006 06:14 AM

Looking forward to Dom3.

Caduceus May 17th, 2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Daynarr said:
With those 2 games you can kiss your social life goodbye.

I guess I need to *get* one first.

Yes, I pre-ordered and I echo the sentiments about SE:V delays.

NTJedi May 25th, 2006 03:17 PM

Any estimation on when the shipping of DOM_3 will begin ?

Just wondering... no hurry on rushing the game.