.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Operation CAST LEAD (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41819)

MarkSheppard January 3rd, 2009 09:27 PM

Operation CAST LEAD

1 Attachment(s)
So I saw this line on a blog today:

Quote:

Paratroopers continuing to operate on rocket sites - the former Jewish towns of Nisanit, Dugit and Elei Sinai.
and this led to some quick google earth action. I managed to locate Elei Sinai, and scrutinizing it, it was decent enough for a quick scenario.

Basically, IDF Paratroopers assault the town. Don't expect it to be balanced or playable; I'm putting this one out without playtest to keep abreast of current events. :p

Goes into Slot 300, which shouldn't overwrite anything.

Quote:

Operation CAST LEAD I

Date: January 3, 2009
Battle Location: Gaza Strip, Former Settlement of Elei Sinai
Battle Type: Israeli Assault VS Hamas Delay

Description: Operation Cast Lead has begun.

Israeli Paratroopers are assaulting former settlements in the Gaza Strip, which have become launching sites for HAMAS to launch it's rockets into Israel.

As the Israeli commander, your objective is to secure the village and destroy the Quassam launchers known to be in the area.

As the HAMAS commander, your mission is to hold at all costs and inflict as much damage onto the Israelis before you are overwhelmed.

Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the Israeli side.

Sources: Historical scenario based on current events

Design by: Ryan Crierie.

iCaMpWiThAWP January 4th, 2009 07:57 PM

Re: Operation CAST LEAD

Playing it, seems great, quick note, its QAssam not QUAssam :D

cbreedon January 4th, 2009 08:10 PM

nice little game. I like the "booby traps" in the buildings.

BTW you might want to add the cmt file to the zip, some novice players may not be able to figure it out.

Anyway thanks for the time spent on the game. I will probaby play it a few more times.

MarkSheppard January 4th, 2009 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank a friend of mine, he said:

"Don't forget booby traps in the houses" when I was telling him of the scenario idea.

ME: "Um, I don't think Mines in SP are AP..."

HIM: "I think they've been AP since the beginning"

*checks SPMBT Guide*

ME: "Yeah you're right".

I'm working up a refined version, which works better for urban fighting.

EDIT: Here it is -- with the CMT file (doh on forgetting it), and now playable from both sides, somewhat.

I dramatically reduced visibility on all sides; to take into effect the fact that this is an urban combat situation, very fluid, very confused; having a TI system might be great for seeing a tank a click away, but it doesn't do that well in finding out whether a guy with a AK is hiding in a building or not...and I played around some more with the HAMAS force structure...

cbreedon January 5th, 2009 02:07 AM

another fun one. Thanks. Would the Israelis maybe have night vision? 30 or 40?

iCaMpWiThAWP January 5th, 2009 04:27 PM

V2 got dalanced out,still, i was unable to score a DV with the HAMAS, good scenario, did the IDF assault any QASSAM lauching position lately?I heard that they are closing in the cities, urban combat israel x HAMAS with a lot of civilians araound the area, how does it sounds?

Marek_Tucan January 5th, 2009 05:24 PM

Nice scenario that despite its relatively small size offers plenty of tactical possibilities. And is fun. Thanks!

Marek_Tucan January 5th, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP (Post 664200)
V2 got dalanced out,still, i was unable to score a DV with the HAMAS

My impression from the scen (fom Israeli side) is that DV for Hammas would be very hard to get, OTOH stated goal for Hamas is "cause as many casaulties as you can", so compare the result more in the form of bodycount than points...

DRG January 5th, 2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSheppard (Post 664041)
I dramatically reduced visibility on all sides; to take into effect the fact that this is an urban combat situation, very fluid, very confused; having a TI system might be great for seeing a tank a click away, but it doesn't do that well in finding out whether a guy with a AK is hiding in a building or not...and I played around some more with the HAMAS force structure...

My 2 cents

Personally I don't think blinding the Israelis and downgrading their abilities is in any way fair and, in the long run, only upgrades the "skills" of the Hamas scum. As well, giving the Soufas nothing but paveways instead of their normal armament only further degrades the Israelis ability to deal with their enemies

Perhaps a better way to portray this might be to leave Israeli capabilities as they are but increase the cost of the Israeli infantry so that individual losses are felt more.

Don

MarkSheppard January 5th, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Personally I don't think blinding the Israelis and downgrading their abilities is in any way fair and, in the long run, only upgrades the "skills" of the Hamas scum.
When I was playtesting the scenario early in the design process, the Merkavas were seeing Hamas units at very long distances -- I think this was because I was trying out using the Sewers and Hiding Pits in the PLO OOB as fixed immobile shelters to protect the HAMASholes from IAF/IDF artillery/airstrikes.

However, that didn't work too well, since the AI kept unloading the contents of the Sewers and Hiding pits, causing them to be seen at long ranges by IDF units, ruining the chance of surprise. So I tried lowering vision on all sides to stop abnormal long rnage detection. This probably was an overreaction, and I'll fix it, now that I'm not using bunkers as APCs anymore.

Quote:

As well, giving the Soufas nothing but paveways instead of their normal armament only further degrades the Israelis ability to deal with their enemies
That was a conscious scenario design decision; because the Israelis as far as I know are using only precision guided munitions in regards to aircraft dropped munitions -- they may be using 250 pound SDBs right now, I've seen reports to that extent by Strategypage.

Quote:

Perhaps a better way to portray this might be to leave Israeli capabilities as they are but increase the cost of the Israeli infantry so that individual losses are felt more.
That's a very good idea that I'll implement right now.

iCaMpWiThAWP January 6th, 2009 01:58 PM

Waiting For Next Version, Dont forget to fix the QASSAMs :D

Anthony_Scott January 6th, 2009 03:42 PM

Excellent scenario, it took me a minute to sort things out! I have passed it on to one of my friends who has WinMBT in Israel.

Here is an excellent article about the IDF in Gaza which might help in fine-tuning your scenario:

http://yaacovlozowick.blogspot.com/2...-thinking.html

Here is a quote that might help:

Quote:

I'm no more informed than the rest of you, but allow me to suggest what may be happening (this is pure conjecture). As described above, at this stage of attrition the Hamas men are almost on their own, perhaps in small groups. They're tired and frightened, or at least, tired and very tense. They've been under fire for ten days, most of which were filled with frustrated anticipation: even assuming they've been raring for a fight the whole time, it has been slow in coming and doesn't appear all that imminent even now. Their leaders are out of sight, their closer commanders may also be gone. They realize that the tunnel they intended to use to resupply has been bombed, nor are many reinforcements likely to come. All this would still be alright if only the IDF infantry would walk into their carefully prepared traps. But the IDF isn't doing that. Instead, it's inching forward. Its infantry seems to have excellent intelligence about each building; instead of racing forward like an elephant into a booby-mined trap, it fights for a building, kills some of the defenders but captures others, interrogates them about the other buildings on the street and only then moves forward to the next one.
Semper Fi, Carry On

Go Israel!

(My bad-had the wrong link to the blog post..corrected now.)

DRG January 6th, 2009 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=MarkSheppard;664302]
Quote:

That was a conscious scenario design decision; because the Israelis as far as I know are using only precision guided munitions in regards to aircraft dropped munitions -- they may be using 250 pound SDBs right now, I've seen reports to that extent by Strategypage.
Good Point. :)

However, perhaps the 500 pound paveways might be better than the 1000 pounders

Here's a corrected TXT file for that scenario. You need to watch where you put the * .

Don

DRG January 6th, 2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony_Scott (Post 664519)

Semper Fi, Carry On

Go Israel!

Indeed ! If I have to listen to one more hypocritical , Bleeding Heart Liberal " World leader " moaning about the Israeli's I'm going to puke. :mad: Odd how very quiet they were all these months as Hamas launched hundreds of rockets into Israel.

I don't image the British would be "patient" if the rockets were hitting London or the French if they were hitting Paris.

It seems to certain members of the Chattering Classes only Israel needs to be "Patient" and "Show restraint"

Don

MarkSheppard January 6th, 2009 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Version 3:

Changes:

QASSAM :-P

Don's corrected briefing file included.

Israeli troop costs per squad are now 100, not 47; don't lose these guys.

Israeli F-16Is now carry 2 x 500 lb LGBs and 2 x 1,000 lb LGBs. Pick your choice of BOOM!

Israelis lose their UAV; I felt it revealed too much of enemy positions early on, considering this is a very small map.

Israeli Commander now has access to 2 x 155mm tubes and one FO squad.

Israeli APCs are now Azcharits, not Classicals; apparently a lot of Azcharits are in the Golani Brigade (whcih is attacking into the Strip now), and in general in the west bank and gaza areas...

Israeli APCs are now cross-attached to the Paratroop company hq.

The HAMASholes have been beefed up, and the Israelis have all their tech toys back.

cbreedon January 7th, 2009 02:46 AM

I just got a decisive victory. I lost 21 men and had an APC immobilized. About have of my men were lost in a friendly fire incident with the 155s. Crap!

Marek_Tucan January 7th, 2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreedon (Post 664705)
About have of my men were lost in a friendly fire incident with the 155s. Crap!

Then you got even more real results - AFAIK out of 5 IDF dead so far in the ground op, 4 were killed in a "blue-on-blue" (and Golani Brigade CO and XO were injured in the same incident - the CO refused MEDEVAC, so probably only lightly wounded, but still...)

DRG January 9th, 2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSheppard (Post 664628)
Version 3:

Changes:

QASSAM :-P

Don's corrected briefing file included.

Israeli troop costs per squad are now 100, not 47; don't lose these guys.

Israeli F-16Is now carry 2 x 500 lb LGBs and 2 x 1,000 lb LGBs. Pick your choice of BOOM!

Israelis lose their UAV; I felt it revealed too much of enemy positions early on, considering this is a very small map.

Israeli Commander now has access to 2 x 155mm tubes and one FO squad.

Israeli APCs are now Azcharits, not Classicals; apparently a lot of Azcharits are in the Golani Brigade (whcih is attacking into the Strip now), and in general in the west bank and gaza areas...

Israeli APCs are now cross-attached to the Paratroop company hq.

The HAMASholes have been beefed up, and the Israelis have all their tech toys back.

Ryan, I haven't had a chance to play this yet we're up to our ears in patch work ATM but somewhere on the forum someone mentioned that the Merkava Mk 4 are being held back ATM and it's the earlier Merkavas like the Baz that are being used now.

Don

Anthony_Scott January 9th, 2009 11:19 PM

Here's a very good article about the tanks in Gaza:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Tank...field_999.html

I liked the scenario very much and look foreward to more of the same.

Semper Fi, Carry On

gingertanker January 10th, 2009 05:58 PM

Well done with the scenario. I think perhaps Hamas stil needs more forces. I got a decisive victory with 15 men lost. 194 Hammas morons bought it though, so i think its OK. A good noumber of those thanks to forgetting to call-off an artillery strike. One of My Mk4s was dead in the center of the bombardment...It survived but somehow lost 3 men(?)One of my Achzarit APCs got immobilized on a mine(Yes, I drove the Aczarit through a building:) ) Those nests were hard to get. Very fun scenario.

MarkSheppard January 11th, 2009 12:45 PM

Version Four will be coming, I just noticed a throwaway line in a news report about that UNRWA school attack:

Quote:

The troops had intended to launch a smart missile to take out the Palestinian launch team but a technical malfunction made this impossible, according to the probe. The commanders of the force instead decided to fire on the Qassam team with mortar shells equipped with a Global Positioning System for accurate fire.
So apparently the Israelis now have GPS guided artillery; most likely IMI has rushed pre-production prototypes of that 120mm GPS mortar bomb, and 155mm Shell that were "finishing development" in 2009 to the troops.

So expect a FO bump to take advantage of this ability, as well as a downgrade of the Merks to Merk 3s.

Also guys, by what turn are you well into fighting in the settlement?

gingertanker January 11th, 2009 02:32 PM

turn 15 i was already in the first houses. I did a lot of recon by fire with my AFVs, because i expected some nasty surprises. and i was right:)

Anthony_Scott January 11th, 2009 10:18 PM

Here is the second part of that 2 part article about tank combat in Gaza.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Tank...t_Two_999.html

I thought that the scenario designer could make use of the articles. Maybe i should make an entirely new thread with these articles.

Semper Fi, Carry On

MarkSheppard January 12th, 2009 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Version Four:

Israelis now have GPS FOs for more accurate shelling.

Merkava 3 Baz replaces Merkava 4s.

A little bit into the game, the Israelis gain an Apache to assist in in clearing out the hidey holes. Weapons loadout may have to be tweaked a little.

HAMAS gains two more platoons of people who appear into the game to represent people leaving their bunkers or spider pits...

cbreedon January 13th, 2009 02:40 AM

Thanks Mark

This one played well. I don't think the helo is all that necessary. It was fun to play with. By the time it showed up I had taken the 1st ring and was working into the the next one and had my tanks and artillery pounding the last wrung of houses. I lost 5 men all to booby traps. Fun little scenario that is getting better each version.

Thanks again.

pifferm January 13th, 2009 12:24 PM

Any screenshot?

iCaMpWiThAWP January 13th, 2009 12:38 PM

Why would we need screenshots?

Anthony_Scott January 13th, 2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP (Post 666635)
Why would we need screenshots?

Because some folks might want to see what the fight looks like at certain points and screen shots are cool regardless.

Semper Fi, Carry On

Anthony_Scott January 14th, 2009 01:00 AM

Like this screenie from the opening:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...nMBT-start.jpg

Heh, it only gets harder from there!

Semper Fi, Carry On

pifferm January 14th, 2009 11:50 AM

Thanx, Scott!

MarkSheppard January 16th, 2009 05:31 PM

Sos I just saw in the blogs:

Quote:

9:17AM: According to palestinian sources, the IDF has destroyed the “Iranian Unit” of Hamas, approximately 100 terrorists who had traveled to Iran and Hezbollah camps, mostly in the Beka’a Valley, where they were trained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in skills such as infantry fighting tactics, the use of anti-tank missiles, and the detonation of explosives.
I really can't see any more good scenarios coming out of this war; except perhaps one more detailing a city block of urban combat; considering the incredibly high kill ratios and destruction of such "trained" units of HAMAS so fast...

EDIT: Hey wait "According to the sources, most of the unit's members were killed in fighting in the Zeytun neighborhood, where they had been deployed by the military leadership of Hamas."

So lets see now....Zeytun being found!

Skirmisher January 16th, 2009 06:17 PM

Well youv'e got to admit it's largely a one sided conflict. The casualty numbers spell that out. I find it puzzling though, with all that firepower,they still can't destroy Hamas.

gingertanker January 16th, 2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Well youv'e got to admit it's largely a one sided conflict. The casualty numbers spell that out. I find it puzzling though, with all that firepower,they still can't destroy Hamas.
AS many as you kill, unless you take over the whole Gaza strip and go house to house, you cannot get rid of them completely.

Anthony_Scott April 22nd, 2009 11:22 PM

Excellent IDF video showing tactics used and lessons learned, an invaluable asset to make other scenarios:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQa5-gmqys

Semper Fi, Carry On