.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   SEIV (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   PBW status (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=9371)

geoschmo May 7th, 2003 11:18 PM

PBW status

Taking the server down for some maintenance. Should be an hour or two at the most.

I will disable auto turns in case anyone's game is scheduled to run during that time.

Geoschmo

Lisif Deoral May 7th, 2003 11:33 PM

Re: PBW status

LOL! I was real-time uploading a turn when I lost the connection with PBW and the server went down - for some minutes I feared I might have somehow crashed the server http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

mottlee May 7th, 2003 11:36 PM

LOL that's why! will the Email still work???

1FSTCAT May 8th, 2003 02:26 PM

So did it go back up?? I'm not able to get to it, at the moment..

--Ed

Rollo May 8th, 2003 03:09 PM

yeah, I couldn't get there either for some time today.

It is back now.

Rollo

geoschmo May 9th, 2003 02:11 AM

Ok, I am taking her down for a bit again. Shouldn't be as long as Last night this time.

Geoschmo

Binford May 9th, 2003 02:14 AM

Well, I discovered a new thing - if PBW goes down while using RT client - SE4 crashes. And me only an hour into devnull3's turn. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Binford

geoschmo May 9th, 2003 03:32 AM

Sorry about that Binford. Unfortunatly that is one of the negatives of RTC, really the main one. It's something we hope to fix in the future. I am through messing with it tonight if it's any consolation.

Someone please tell me if you can get on there ok.

Geoschmo

Chronon May 9th, 2003 03:37 AM

Geo, I just logged on and downloaded a turn from one of my games. So, it looks like it's working fine. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

geoschmo May 9th, 2003 03:44 AM

Ok, what I have been doing the Last couple days is hooking up a wireless network. I want to move the server to a different room in my house and I rent so I can't be punching holes in the wall and running wires.

The wireless network has a better transfer rate then the DSL line, so there should be no noticable loss in performance at all. But if anyone notices any slowdown, particulary with uploading or downloading files, please let me know. Currently it's hooked up to the wireless NIC, but it's sitting only a couple feet from the access point. I want to run it a while and make sure it works good before I move it accross the house.

Geoschmo

geoschmo May 10th, 2003 03:39 PM

Ok, taking it down for a few minutes again. Doesn't look like too many people are on it right now, so it shouldn't mess up any RTC players.

This should be the Last time I have to take it down for a while. Assuming all goes ok I will be turning auto turns back on this evening.

Geoschmo

geoschmo May 10th, 2003 04:02 PM

Ok, back up and in the new location. Let me know if you notice any slowdowns in site performance of file transfer rate.

Geoschmo

Slynky May 10th, 2003 04:46 PM

Well, without doing anything else, the site looks the same to me. Page fills the screen in about 6 seconds from clicking the link. (and, as usual, all the icons take a bit longer to appear)

But looks the same.

Cyrien May 10th, 2003 04:50 PM

Actually... It is running faster and better for me than it ever has before. For me the Icons aren't even lagging behind in loading anymore. Excellent. Nothing has changed on my side... so either just a random thing or performnace has improved.

Gryphin May 10th, 2003 07:13 PM

I think I broke it.
Well, I think I was the Last one there.
(sorry guys)
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

geoschmo May 10th, 2003 07:23 PM

No, you didn't break it Gryphin. We are haivng a thunderstorm here. ISP flickered is all. It's back up now.

Geoschmo

[ May 10, 2003, 18:24: Message edited by: geoschmo ]

tesco samoa May 11th, 2003 02:40 AM

geo... i noticed in a koth game that was created... there was a forum...

Does this mean the forum is working again ????

tesco samoa May 11th, 2003 02:58 AM

hmm thats strange... some times its there some times it is not there ( the game forum link )

geoschmo May 11th, 2003 03:54 AM

The game forums have been fixed for a while now, but the links from the text UI are still not working. You can get to the game forums from the Graphic UI, or from the main forum page by hitting the "Show all game forums" button at the bottom.

Not sure why you saw a link, unless you were in the Graphic UI.

Geoschmo

[ May 11, 2003, 02:56: Message edited by: geoschmo ]

tesco samoa May 11th, 2003 04:31 AM

Graphic UI... Is were I saw it... For new game that have been created within the Last week.

Some times the link shows up some times it does not.

tesco samoa May 11th, 2003 05:54 PM

hmm... does anyone else have problems when they click on the home page... and the own games list does not show up..... It loaded. Just slowly. It was over a minute

[ May 11, 2003, 17:00: Message edited by: tesco samoa ]

geoschmo May 11th, 2003 06:15 PM

It was a little slow for me just there too. But it seems to be working now. I dunno.

freduk May 17th, 2004 07:54 PM

I can not access it right now, am I the only one???

Unknown_Enemy May 17th, 2004 07:57 PM

yes,
can't access it from here too

mac5732 May 17th, 2004 07:58 PM

nope, I can't get in either

Kana May 17th, 2004 08:09 PM

Me neither...it was working about 3 hours ago...

Kana

Atrocities May 17th, 2004 08:43 PM

Still no access. I am sure once Geo gets home he will correct the issue.

I wonder how much $$ Geo would need to rebuild the server with all new parts, or better yet, build a new server?

Ragnarok May 17th, 2004 08:49 PM

Dead here. Worked earlier today. Perhaps it just needs a kicking. Either way I can wait...

Slynky May 17th, 2004 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Atrocities:
Still no access. I am sure once Geo gets home he will correct the issue.

I wonder how much $$ Geo would need to rebuild the server with all new parts, or better yet, build a new server?

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Not sure it's a HW problem. Seems like usually it's the service provider with an unknown glitch or the server SW burps.

Hope he's not at school tonight...trying to get a game setup for Master B and Parasite before I turn in.

Slynky May 18th, 2004 12:11 AM

Well, I have a screen now but it's really slow. But this looks promising http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif .

Roanon May 18th, 2004 12:22 AM

pbw.cc is ok, but then clicking on graphics or text interface gives "internal server error". Guess it needs a kick. A hard one.

geoschmo May 18th, 2004 12:23 AM

Nope. Still down. No eta.

farstryder May 18th, 2004 03:02 AM

To E3 and (ruatha?):
RE: Existence2 and NeGoC5 Game Turns

due to the server downtime, i can't promise that my turns will be in by deadline. i had scheduled my week out with the time interval starting now and extending for an hour to be a designated "SEIV spot" in my now-busy sked. i hope that you will be able to wait for my turns, i ought to be able to get them in by tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning (Central Time) at the latest.

If you could accomodate this in the turn processing, i would be extremely grateful.

TY
-a very harried farstryder

Ruatha May 18th, 2004 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by farstryder:
To E3 and (ruatha?):
RE: Existence2 and NeGoC5 Game Turns

due to the server downtime, i can't promise that my turns will be in by deadline. i had scheduled my week out with the time interval starting now and extending for an hour to be a designated "SEIV spot" in my now-busy sked. i hope that you will be able to wait for my turns, i ought to be able to get them in by tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning (Central Time) at the latest.

If you could accomodate this in the turn processing, i would be extremely grateful.

TY
-a very harried farstryder

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Hi, as the server is down there is nothing I can do right now.
The PBW server is usually set to "After Last Player upload" after downtimes, courtesy of the PBW admins.
So there shouldn't be any cause to worry.

[ May 18, 2004, 05:15: Message edited by: Ruatha ]

Roanon May 18th, 2004 06:21 AM

Still down - seems to be a more serious problem than a needed kick. Time to setup the emergency replacement(s)?

Fyron May 18th, 2004 06:37 AM

That might be a little premature... it has only been a few hours...

Roanon May 18th, 2004 07:25 AM

12 hours, half a day - but you're right, guess I'm too used to Geos' fast fixes. So I'm worried when he can't bring the server back to work with a swift kick.

Ruatha May 18th, 2004 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roanon:
Still down - seems to be a more serious problem than a needed kick. Time to setup the emergency replacement(s)?
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I'll give it a day or two before I fire up the NGC emergency server.

geoschmo May 18th, 2004 02:17 PM

Yeah, actually you may want to go ahead and get going on that backup site. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Roanon May 18th, 2004 02:44 PM

What is wrong, Geo - hardware problem?

geoschmo May 18th, 2004 03:02 PM

Nope. It's a software error. Can't get the database that runs the site working.

Anybody here know Tomcat and Mysql really well? If you do send me an email.

Geoschmo

tesco samoa May 18th, 2004 03:19 PM

can you send me the error message... I will see if I can help at all... I have to ghost 2 pc's for the plant floor and then set them up... but after that I could have a free hour to help with everyone working on the problem

Roanon May 18th, 2004 04:26 PM

Software error? As usual - undo the Last change that you did just before the error occured http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Well I guess there have been no changes (? - never change a running system!!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif ), so a software issue should not make PBW refuse to work after running for such a long time. Maybe the database is corrupt or needs a purge? Disk full? Capacity problem - memory? Faulty memory chip?

It might also help to upgrade to the latest Version, but I'm not up to date with Tomcat, known problems and bugfixes. I would probably make a backup of the database, delete it and create it new and fresh, and check if the problem persists. If not, copy the old tables one-by-one until it crashes and if, you have at least located the problem.

I have some time at hands, I can give you any help with mySQL if you need, but I'm no Tomcat expert.

geoschmo May 18th, 2004 04:41 PM

Yes Roanon, no changes were made. The server froze up yesterday, and after rebooting we have what we have. I suspect you are right and it's some sort of database corruption. Tesco's gonna take a look at it. Hopefully he will be able to resolve it.

Atrocities May 18th, 2004 04:46 PM

Is it possible that some outside source attempted to access your data base for mining purposes and in doing so caused the error?

I have read stories about this happening on other dedicated gaming sites and forums.

A company, or individual, will target gaming servers for access to emails and any other info on the players that use it. Often resulting in problems for the server.

This normally happens on forums, but it has happened on game servers like Earth 2025, and Utopia, as well as Planetarion.

Geoschmo the PBw server must seem like a gold mine to these SOB's. They get the IP and start hacking, the next thing you know, your data base is fried, PBW is down, and we all start getting spam in our email boxes. Oh ya, then your PayPal account suddenly is frozen and your bank account is drained.

I would be concerned.

Roanon May 18th, 2004 05:17 PM

Hacking is not THAT easy, I doubt it. Main reasons for intrusion are often easy-to-crack passwords, pissed off ex-mods/frieds with password knowledge, laughable simplistic password entering/checking routines, or yet another M$ bug (tm). Forum systems, especially those with open source, may be vulnerable to some annoying things, even reading of private data like email addys - as this info is usually available to common Users anyway and therefore less protected. But the database itself is normally safe from destructive intrusions. There are a lot of myths about "hacking", and it is too easy to blame some unknown hackers for any self-created problem with websites.

I think PBW is too small to be of interest, and the personal data too protected - should be easier and more rewarding to hack into the Shrapnell forum. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Atrocities May 18th, 2004 05:50 PM

You have set my mind at ease my dear Roanon. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif Thank you.

So what could cause a Data Base to fail? Power surge, power failure, corrupt info?

I wish I knew more about how they worked, but I don't. Sorry Geo.

Roanon May 18th, 2004 06:06 PM

If the comp froze during a database write-access, I would not find it unusual that it got corrupted. Let's hope Tesco can find the time to fix the problem soon.

tesco samoa May 18th, 2004 07:54 PM

don't put high hopes in me i know little of tomcat and java....

Just learning.

trooper May 19th, 2004 03:22 PM

Seems all is not stopped on the PBW site...

I've just received a "[SEIV PBW] Turn not yet received" message.
I Hope the turn will not be executed before the site is back...