.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Can someone explain what happened here? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=30442)

BigJMoney September 23rd, 2006 02:31 AM

Can someone explain what happened here?

My Moloch SC invaded a province with 20-30 militia. He was decked out in really good stuff. He had heat radiation, fire shield 15, regen 10, fear +8, snake bladder stick, vine shield; etc.

His imps attacked the militia and took about 50% casualties. All of a sudden, my Moloch retreated into enemy territory and died without a chance.

What the heck happened? Is the Moloch a worthless SC because he gets those imps? Why did he retreat if it meant instant death?

=$= Big J Money =$=

Frostmourne27 September 23rd, 2006 02:54 AM

Re: Can someone explain what happened here?

Moloch is almost owrthless as an SC, because, as you guessed, he will allmost allways route when his imps die. You can give him an item to make him go beserk, though that has disadvantages. If considered removing the imps in a mod, but it would be alot of work, and I didn't think it would be worth it, but if I'm not the only one that finds it annoying, I might give it a try.

Cainehill September 23rd, 2006 05:27 AM

To use flying moloch effectively, one option is to use high end magic item like the wraith crown : a handful of undead that can't fly let's him do damage. Otherwise, un-modded the Moloch is nearly useless on its own : modded, the morale could be improved (but the CB mods only increased auto-summons that couldn't also be summoned via spell, so imps still suck).

Endoperez September 23rd, 2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Frostmourne27 said:
Moloch is almost owrthless as an SC, because, as you guessed, he will allmost allways route when his imps die. You can give him an item to make him go beserk, though that has disadvantages. If considered removing the imps in a mod, but it would be alot of work, and I didn't think it would be worth it, but if I'm not the only one that finds it annoying, I might give it a try.

In Dom3, Moloch gets 10 imps, and thanks to the new morale system, doesn't automatically rout when they have died or routed. In a quick test game, a Moloch (with Earth 4 to emulate light armor) and Fire Sword conquered three independent provinces on his own, although he got a limp in a fight against Crystal Amazons.

Nerfix September 23rd, 2006 11:47 AM

Crystal Amazons? Good sir, those are a...myth. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Daynarr September 23rd, 2006 12:26 PM

They show up normally in Dom3. Note that there is much more indy types in Dom3 then it was in Dom2. Actually, I still run on a new type once in a while (some have really low chance to show up).

archaeolept September 23rd, 2006 12:34 PM

a moloch's cowardice is legendary.

that said, there are generally 3 ways to use him:

1. behind a troop force as an arty caster (f9 a4 will give him serious punch pretty well out of the gate).

2. w/ a few dispersed archers at the back - its unlikely they will all break or be killed. lame infantry on "hold and attack" also works very well.

3. w/ a magical aid - wraith crown will sometimes work, but is not dependable. The real solution is to give him lifelong protection, which is nicely thematic, and the 2 new imps/round spawn before the morale check, so your moloch will never run.

quantum_mechani September 23rd, 2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

archaeolept said:
so your moloch will never run.

Unless he happens to get paralyzed or fatigue out, in which case the imps stop coming and he runs as soon as he wakes up.

BigJMoney September 23rd, 2006 04:16 PM

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I actually was using a wraith crown earlier in the game for ethereal, and didn't realize it was also helping to keep him from routing! I lost it because he went berserk in one fight and ignored my script...lol. Of course that got him killed. He lost a point of death magic, and I haven't had any mages powerful enough to make another wraith crown since, so I just gave him a horror helmet instead. Now that his death magic is even lower, I think I'll just experiment with the lifelong protection since I don't really care about this particular game anymore. I didn't realize LP spawned 2 per round. I assumed it was the same effect the Moloch already had. Good to know.

=$=

ioticus September 24th, 2006 12:35 AM

Quote:

Endoperez said:

In Dom3, Moloch gets 10 imps, and thanks to the new morale system, doesn't automatically rout when they have died or routed. In a quick test game, a Moloch (with Earth 4 to emulate light armor) and Fire Sword conquered three independent provinces on his own, although he got a limp in a fight against Crystal Amazons.

That's good to hear. Can you briefly explain how the new morale system works?