.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PBW - Loosers Who Quit (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=20387)

Kyro_Hawk August 16th, 2004 04:41 AM

PBW - Loosers Who Quit

This is my first post here. I have lurked for a good long time and have been playing Gold since Last year when I bought the original game at a yard sale. Imagin my surprise when I discovered that there was a Gold Version and that the game was still being played.

I am new to the PBW thing and I find it a little more than frustrating when a player quits a game without telling any one. Especially any games I host.

I was thinking that a player rating system at PBW or for PBW players would be a novel idea. Since I cannot get the PBW forums to come up, I am posting the idea here.

This way when we host a game, we can check the player record for the players who want to play. If the rating is poor, will know not to let them in to the game.

To avoid abuse of this kind of system, limit entries to ONLY one per other player. Leave room for comment and rebutal.

Good idea or bad?

csebal August 16th, 2004 06:14 AM

Re: PBW - Loosers Who Quit

Leaves too much room for abuse.

Leaving without telling about it to others may not be fair, but keep in mind, that we are all humans, and have real lives to take care of, which is more important than any of the games we may play.

Then again, i think you are mostly talking about players leaving when their luck takes a bad turn, and their empire starts to fall apart.

While staying in a game, that is already lost, is a noble and respectful act, it takes a certain kind of player.

Most gamers play to have fun. The ultimate goal of a game is to entertain. Fighting a losing war is not fun to most, and frankly, you cant force them to play against their will.

I think, you want losers to stay, so you can enjoy your victory, by crushing their empire planet by planet.

Thats kinda selfish, as you basically tell players to play a game that is not fun (for them) anymore, so that you can enjoy your game more.

Think about it for a while

Randallw August 16th, 2004 09:37 AM

I for one have never quit a game, for me personally when I begin a game I have made a committment to stay with it no matter what happens. My games are about 1/2 I do well, and 1/2 I do badly. When things go badly I lose interest (which means my empire stays low), BUT I never quit. Eventually some aspect of the game develops and I get to act even though I am not a powerhouse. In one game I was at the bottom. In boredom I declared war on someone pushing me about. Because of the way the mod was setup even in Last place I had one of my best times fighting that war.

Suicide Junkie August 16th, 2004 10:29 AM

As I see it, its not about people who quit because they are losing, but rather people who quit without telling anybody, and thus hold up the game.

If you are losing, and its not worth getting a replacement player, TELL YOUR GM! They can set your empire status to dead, and PBW won't have to wait for turns that never arrive.

Gandalf Parker August 16th, 2004 10:44 AM

I love games where people quit. Im not big on MP gaming and dont tend to do well at it so Im leary of joining them when Im learning a new game.

so I love to step into the shoes of the quitter. They often quit so soon. A major battle lost, or bad decision, or even one bad event, and its a setback that they dont feel like fighting to recover from it. By volunteering to take their place I get to be in MP games with a ready-made excuse. I didnt pick the empires settings. Im coming into someone elses foulup. Im considered a saviour because the player doesnt have to be turned AI. All I have to do is slightly better than him becoming AI for me to have "saved" the game for everyone, even if I lose badly. Its no surprise and no shame if I lose, a big surprise and major points if I win, and Im fully free to at least try to be a good game by doing something totally surprising.

I highly recommend "subbing" for a quitter to any new person who is debating MP

DarkAnt August 16th, 2004 11:03 AM

Maybe its just me, but I've always enjoyed attempting to come back after almost certain defeat. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, its how long I can stay alive(because of this people tend to hate playing starcraft with me on big maps when I have one probe left running around building pylons in random places).

Suicide Junkie August 16th, 2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

DarkAnt said:
Maybe its just me, but I've always enjoyed attempting to come back after almost certain defeat. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, its how long I can stay alive(because of this people tend to hate playing starcraft with me on big maps when I have one probe left running around building pylons in random places).

You'll probably like the small squad tactics map, and the "dying of the light" scenario I made, then http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/nick/games/starcraftmaps/

DotL:
How long can you fend off an infinite horde of zerg? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

SST:
All mineral piles are reduced in size.
2 Gas is traded for 1 Mineral when you have extra gas.
(thus, infinite but very slowly collected, resources)
Relatively slow paced, but it does let you give personal attention to your guys and run tactics that wouldn't be possible in the typical "rush build and suicide attack" game.
So train up 3 or 4 units, send in the commando teams, capture territory, build gas collectors, and tremble in fear when the AI manages to collect enough minerals to build even a single battlecruiser http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...es/redface.gif

Grandpa Kim August 18th, 2004 09:19 PM

csebal, you have flicked scar tissue so I will rant a little. >>Rant on.<<

I have my own personal black list and I'm always looking to add more quitters to it. To quit without notice is unconscionable and shows zero respect for the other players. If you have time to quit the game, you have time to leave a note to the players... and saying "I don't feel like it" won't score any brownie points unless you never play again !

Your post almost caused me to add you to the list, but you didn't say you are a quitter, but that you understand their mindset, so, as with all unfamiliar players, you will get the benefit of the doubt. >>Rant off.<<

Gozra August 19th, 2004 12:44 AM

Just to present the other side non-quitters can be annoying also. I was in a game once were I refused to quit and the winning player cussed at me and terminated the game. I had one active minefield in a nebula system so I refused to quit as "I had units still in the field" and my empire was still alive.

Phoenix-D August 19th, 2004 12:48 AM

Quote:

Gozra said:
Just to present the other side non-quitters can be annoying also. I was in a game once were I refused to quit and the winning player cussed at me and terminated the game. I had one active minefield in a nebula system so I refused to quit as "I had units still in the field" and my empire was still alive.

That's just being pissy. With one minefield there is 0% chance of doing anything meaningful..and worse, minefields are completely computer controlled anyway so all your holding on did was slow down the game for the other player(s).