.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Dominions II In-Game Typos (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=16619)

Edi October 31st, 2003 07:30 AM

Dominions II In-Game Typos

I thought that typos really don't need to be mentioned in the threads that deal with real bugs, so why not gather them here? If the thread is stickied, it'll be easy for IW to check for updates, and they can fix them if they've got the time or inclination.

I will confess here that I'm something of a grammar nazi in the sense that typos annoy me supremely out of proportion to their actual impact (such as the Dom-PPP typo that causes enemy forces to consist mainly of "commander of Ulms" when it should say "commanders of Ulm").

Of course, other than that, lack of typos gives the impression of a more polished product, so fixing them is a good idea in this sense.

I will also add that none of the typos I've seen (haven't yet actually seen the DomII demo, so Dom-PPP is what I'm basing this on here) are big ones, but mainly small, relatively unimportant ones and perfectly understandable given that English is not the native language of the IW people. Some of them (like my example from Dom-PPP) also result from game mechanics, unless every unit gets programmed with both singular and plural forms with checks for when which is used, which just seems like far too much trouble for absolutely no gain.

Anyway, that's for the thread introduction, now start listing them. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Edi

[ March 24, 2004, 04:44: Message edited by: Zen ]

geo981010 October 31st, 2003 08:07 AM

Re: Dominions II In-Game Typos

1) The Diseased affliction description says your troop will "loose" hit points each turn, where it should be "lose"

2) Nature Magic Description says "A Mage of this paths...". Probably should be "A Mage of this path ..." or maybe "A mage of these paths ..."

Calanor October 31st, 2003 08:52 AM

Pythium has access to a hero with the title ehem "hero". While this Hero's actual name seems to be randomly chosen, his desc will begin with "Hierogallus is an old Serpent Lord...". Oops..! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

HJ October 31st, 2003 10:38 AM

From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii.

[ October 31, 2003, 08:38: Message edited by: HJ ]

st.patrik October 31st, 2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It's all good. It's probably easier for the devs if they're separated out like this.

I'm sure I saw a couple (of typos) - I'll keep my eyes open.

HJ November 1st, 2003 06:03 AM

In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave".

Calanor November 1st, 2003 08:23 AM

I guess you could call the following a "typo":

The info given to the player when you right-click on items in the forge displays the unmodified cost for making that item. Now, if you happen to be a Master Smith or wield a Dwarven Hammer and so forth, the displayed cost won't correspond to the actual cost. That can be somewhat confusing.

Chris Byler November 1st, 2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave".
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Also, Desert Tombs has two different unholy spells with the same name; one of them has incomplete spell effect description (it doesn't list all the normal stats of range, area of effect, precision and fatigue).

An unrelated typo: the description for female pretenders calls them "a Pretender Godess". That should be "Goddess".

Calanor November 1st, 2003 11:27 PM

Female Pretenders seem to have to frequently put up with being taken for a male. Titles such as "God of the Invincible Power" and "He Who is at the Center" are some examples.

Calanor November 2nd, 2003 05:47 PM

Normally, if a unit has an affliction that affects one of its stats, this is mentioned when you right-click on that stat (e.g. the loss of an eye is mentioned when you right-click on Precision, along with the -3 penalty involved). However, Feeblemind is not mentioned by any of the stats it affects, even though it is considered when the game calculates the current stat levels.

[ November 02, 2003, 15:48: Message edited by: Calanor ]

Calanor November 3rd, 2003 08:12 AM

The Master Alchemist's description reads (typo's in boldface):

"The Master Alchemist is an alchemist of such great power that he has taken the role of a Pretender God. The Great Scholar is a master of magic alchemy and is often adept in several of the magic Paths."

November 3rd, 2003 10:40 AM

Not sure, but I suggest the following change in the "events".

“A triton prince has come to you in search of the fabled Orb of Atlantis. He and his retinue was so impressed by your wondrous palaces that he swore his allegiance to you”. Replace was with were.
“An old tower surrounded by wisps of mist was found on a high mountaintop. The owner of the tower agreed to help you for a meagre fifty pounds of gold and a couple of virgins”. Replace meagre by meager.
“Gold deposits have been found and a new mine is being built. Tax revenues have been premanently increased by 30 pounds of gold”. Replace premanently by permanently.
“An annatural plague has swept the province killing thousands”. Not sure but annatural should be replaced by unnatural I believe.
“Great treasures was found!”. Replace was by were, or write A great treasure was found.
“A grand festival was held in your honour”. Replace by honor.
A wave of religious zeal / A group of zealots. Replace comitted by committed.
“Realizing the power of the beatiful and ever growing nature”. Beautiful.
“The temperature has dropped considerably and blizzards devastates the land”. Devastate.
“A sect of dark cultists have appeared in your province”. Remove have.
“A group of visiting heroes have decided to rid this province from your unfair rulership”. I’d say Visiting heroes have, or A group of visiting heroes decided.
“Trolls living under bridges have killed and eaten travellers crossing the bridges”. Travelers.
“Heavy snowfalls has blocked important mountain roads”. Have.
“Rain has been pouring down and the entire province is severly flooded”. Severely.
“People here are very unruly and have destroyed valuable equipment that is neccessary for us”.
In different Messages: replace defence by defense.
In different Messages: “Tax losses was xxx pounds of gold”. Should be loss, or were.

Johan K November 3rd, 2003 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calanor:
Female Pretenders seem to have to frequently put up with being taken for a male. Titles such as "God of the Invincible Power" and "He Who is at the Center" are some examples.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Which goddess does this happen for?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

[ November 03, 2003, 11:23: Message edited by: Johan K ]

Leif_- November 3rd, 2003 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sunray_be:

?A grand festival was held in your honour?. Replace by honor.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Honour" is the correct British-English spelling. Since Illwinter is a Swedish company, I'd expect that they're using that rather than American-English spelling. (Not to split hairs - it's just that I personally prefer the "ou" spelling, and I don't want to see it changed. :-P )

Ed Kolis November 3rd, 2003 06:54 PM

In the description of the "Bind Heliophagii" spell, there is one instance where the plural (Heliophagii) is used where the singular should be used (Heliophagus). (Sorry I forget where, I don't have the game with me now http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif )

HJ November 3rd, 2003 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
In the description of the "Bind Heliophagii" spell, there is one instance where the plural (Heliophagii) is used where the singular should be used (Heliophagus). (Sorry I forget where, I don't have the game with me now http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif )
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Actually, it should be "Heliophagi" instead of "Heliophagii", as the singular is Heliophagus and not Heliophagius.

HJ November 4th, 2003 08:27 AM

A few more:

- in the description of Blood Boil spell, it should say "one of the few blood magic spells that don't require" instead of "one of the few blood magic spells that doesn't require"

- in Moloch's description, it says that he has fire 2, while in fact he has fire 3 when you go to the magic screen

- Blood of Humans theme is not listed in race description of Abysia

HJ November 4th, 2003 09:51 PM

The description of the Amulet of the Fish starts with "This gives". I think the intention was to say "This amulet gives".

Yes, I'm really savouring the details of the game, and I read every description. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

georgevtucker November 6th, 2003 04:17 PM

[cut]

[ November 10, 2003, 18:25: Message edited by: georgevtucker ]

Phoenix-D November 8th, 2003 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

- in the description of Blood Boil spell, it should say "one of the few blood magic spells that don't require" instead of "one of the few blood magic spells that doesn't require"

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Umm, you sure you don't have that backwards? From your quote, doesn't reads correctly..

"One of the few blood magic spells that do not require"

vs

"One of the fhew blood magic spells that does not require"

Second is correct.

HJ November 8th, 2003 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Umm, you sure you don't have that backwards? From your quote, doesn't reads correctly..

vs

Second is correct.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

I guess that we should ask someone like georgevtucker to be sure. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Phoenix-D November 8th, 2003 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

I guess that we should ask someone like georgevtucker to be sure. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Right, but it doesn't say spells that do not require. It says "One of the few" first, which changes the word after a bit..right or wrong, do -sounds- wrong to me.

Pocus November 8th, 2003 09:38 PM

god title : patron of abitrators.

a 'r' is missing. Arbiter

Taqwus November 9th, 2003 06:21 AM

-- From skimming the strings in the Linux binary:

(notes below biased by American English habits...)

Wispering Legion: should probably be Whispering. Check list of mercenary bands.

Celestial Apostats: Should this be "Apostates"?

"The spell wasn't targetet at a forest and had no effect." appears; either 'strings' is messing up or s/targetet/targeted/.

"The spell did not find a suitable target fortification and was effectless", probably s/effectless/ineffectual/.

"The fortification in this province was temporary breached by the spell": s/temporary/temporarily/.

"Mighty storms blew the %s off target. The spell struck an emtpy location". s/emtpy/empty/. Also appears in "The was no suitable target for the %s. The spell struck an emtpy location", which needs s/the/there/ for the first sentence as well. Well, s/emtpy/empty/g.

Grammar: Gems and girls, being countable, should appear in "huge numbers", not "huge amounts". This appears with the wish-fulfillment text.

"The entire earth trembeled" -- s/trembeled/trembled/. Armageddon wish.

"Vanheim have leaders that can sail..." s/have/has/. Tip text.

"Ambidexterous soldiers do not suffer from as much attack..." Matter of taste, but consider s/suffer from as much/suffer as much from/, or even s/do not suffer from as much/incur lower/.

"Only a few items grants the wearer..." s/grants/grant/. Right afterwards, "Other forces the owner" s/other forces/others force/.

"%s's summoning was sucessfull, but"... s/successfull(\w)/successful$1/g well, if \w is word-boundary anyway.

PvK November 9th, 2003 07:11 PM

I think the between-turns tip about Soulless and how they are equipped based on their living form, has a typo where the word "were" should be "where". I only had a few seconds to look at it though, so maybe I was reading it wrong.

Also, the tip about visiting the illwinter web site to look for patches should read "to see if there are any" rather than "to see if there is any".

PvK

[ November 09, 2003, 18:10: Message edited by: PvK ]

Psitticine November 10th, 2003 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

vs

Second is correct.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It should be "One of the few Blood magic spells that does not require . . ."

A singular subject ("one") requires a singular verb ("does").

HJ November 10th, 2003 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Psitticine:
It should be "One of the few Blood magic spells that does not require . . ."

A singular subject ("one") requires a singular verb ("does").

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Unless you view it as a part of the group, and you're describing the group with the subsequent phrase, then it would require a plural verb. It depends on what "that" refers to. I think it refers to describing the spell group, and that it's not a part of the predicate, but rather a descriptive attribute of the noun "spells", as there is another part of the sentence following that phrase. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
Doesn't really matter, of course.

[ November 10, 2003, 02:32: Message edited by: HJ ]

Pocus November 10th, 2003 12:57 PM

there is no range indicated in the spell description of quickening.

HJ November 11th, 2003 07:35 AM

In race description of Tien Chi under Dominion it says "Conscription (defense increseases in provinces with order)" - should be "increases".

st.patrik November 14th, 2003 05:24 AM

In case this hasn't been pointed out, there's a magic site called 'wispering woods' - should be 'whispering woods'

st.patrik November 17th, 2003 04:58 AM

Apologies if this has been pointed out already.

I saw a magic site called 'Volcanoe'. Should read 'Volcano' methinks.

HJ November 18th, 2003 03:43 AM

One of the celestial summoning spells of Tien Chi is lacking description.

November 18th, 2003 06:12 AM

Just a minor typo edit, you probably have already seen.

In the Dominions 2 Manual. Page 72.

Under Shark Attack on the left hand side, under:

Range: 1

it says

/includegraphics(Air.tff)

Taqwus November 18th, 2003 06:34 PM

Enemy-dominion candles are red, not black (the latter being what it says in the manual).
It's tangential, but the Shrapnel Games catalog that came with Dom II had a mispelling of Napoleon (think it was "Naploeon") in one part of the Austerlitz listing.

November 19th, 2003 09:16 AM

Do you need more manual typos?

Or have you caught them? I have a few more of the "image" typos in my manual; if you haven't already addressed that and are only looking for in game items.

Johan K November 20th, 2003 01:05 AM

Nah, I don't need the image typos. It's a bit late for that, the manuals are already printed after all.

Psitticine November 20th, 2003 04:40 AM

The way the game is selling (based on what Tim has posted), I wouldn't be surprised if there is a reprint on the manual some day. It might be good to collect any typos there for future use.

Taqwus November 20th, 2003 06:25 PM

In the "what do nations get for province defense" manual table, the word "Eunuch" appears as "Enuch" once.
The Banefire Lord is named Antrax in his unit name, but Anthrax in the description.

Taqwus November 20th, 2003 06:36 PM

One might argue that the omission of "Enter Site", "Corrupt Commander", "Seduce Commander" is a typo in the manual's list of commander orders. "Enter Site", at least, can be pretty important.

Taqwus November 21st, 2003 07:30 PM

With the addition of themes, the "Black Laurel" description should be made more specific. Only Ashen Empire Ermor can revive Lictors, I think; Soul Gate does not appear to. So the description could be narrowed to only refer to Ermor (Ashen Empire).

November 23rd, 2003 08:32 AM

In the Barbarian Kings Theme for T'ien Ch'i, Celestial Masters have a Leadership of 15 on the highlight; but in actuality when you build them they have 20 Leadership.

Argitoth November 23rd, 2003 11:16 PM

T'ien C'hi = Book
T'ien Ch'i = Game

I also noticed in the manual, many times there were missing commas, for example

"This, this and this." It shoudl really be:
"This, this, and this."

[ November 23, 2003, 21:17: Message edited by: Argitoth ]

Chris Byler November 24th, 2003 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zen:
In the Barbarian Kings Theme for T'ien Ch'i, Celestial Masters have a Leadership of 15 on the highlight; but in actuality when you build them they have 20 Leadership.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Did the one you checked get his random in fire? Each level of fire magic adds 5 to normal leadership. CM actually have 10 base leadership, +5 for their fixed point of fire. If they get a random in fire, that makes it 20. (If a S&A CM gets both his randoms in fire, that makes it 25, but that's only 1 chance in 64.)

Experience also increases leadership. I think commanders with 10 base leadership get +5 per star (at least for the first couple of stars - it might go up after that?)

HJ November 24th, 2003 01:57 AM

Pazuzu is refered as "Pazazu" once in his description text.

PvK November 24th, 2003 02:47 AM

"Parts of our army was lured in the wild forest and never seen again."

- should be:

"Parts of our army were lured into the wild forest and never seen again."

PvK

HJ November 26th, 2003 08:04 AM

Limne the Queen of the Lake is refered to as "Rinna" once in her description text. And she can summon allies, but the description doesn't say which ones (for everybody else I've seen so far it does say specifically).

[ November 26, 2003, 06:05: Message edited by: HJ ]

Orlanth December 2nd, 2003 12:29 AM

"Pikeneers" isn't really a word - should it be pikemen?

HJ December 2nd, 2003 02:26 AM

The eater of the dead message reads: "...and if it continus to grow...." - should be "continues".

Saber Cherry December 2nd, 2003 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Orlanth:
"Pikeneers" isn't really a word - should it be pikemen?
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">No, you silly MoM player=) "Pikeneers" is cute! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Chris Byler December 2nd, 2003 04:07 PM

I've gotten the divine title "Lord of youthful vitality and violence", which seems like it should have more capital letters.