.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Greyhawk mod (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=34982)

Twan June 6th, 2007 05:23 PM

Greyhawk mod

1 Attachment(s)
If someone wants to test them, here's the three first nations of the Greyhawk mod.

Greyhawk, a city ruled by an oligarchy of mages, merchants and assassins (powerful and diverse magic, weak religion, heavy troops mostly infantry)

The Pale, a theocracy with three templar orders (3 kinds of sacred knights, all aspects of holy/unholy powers, weak mages out of the capitol).

Highfolk, the demesne of the princes of the high elves where many gnomes, humans and halflings refugees have found shelter (a very multi-racial nation with very good long range archers, a large choice of infantry and several stealthy units including rangers and knights ; the religion is weak but the nation has 2 good sacred units ; diverse magic with nature and the four elements ; the high elves love item crafting and have mages with forge bonus but the best ones are very expensive)

Note that these nations are not balanced with weak Dom3 nations (the two are rather overpowered by Dom3 standards) as they will be part of a mod changing most nations (which will probably not be finished before 3d6 months).

(Greyhawk is nation 70, Highfolk nation 71, The Pale replace ME Marignon -- you can easily change Pale to another nation by replacing the #selectnation by #newnation, but some Marignon units are used and descriptions or stats will be changed anyway)

I'm actually working on 5 other nations (Nyrond -a classical feudal kingdom-, The Horned Society -a blood magiocracy with new summons-, Perrenland -a kingdom of fierce warriors-, Vesve -wood elves & centaurs- and Zuggtmalya - The Elemental Evil, a nation with demonic fungus specialized in elementals summoning-), and have far more in project (if I find the time all the Greyhawk powers = about 35 nations).

ps : the Masters of the Moon of Pale are supposed to gain 2 death and lose 1 astral when they shape change into their dead form, but the function #magicboost don't work actually.

pps : Highfolk don't have heroes out of multi-heroes for the moment ; and special pretenders for Greyhawk and Highfolk are not done

V0.4d - common pretenders and pretenders for the Pale added

Perrenland nation attached to last post

lch June 6th, 2007 05:54 PM

Re: Greyhawk mod

Very nice. I especially like the idea with the merchants and no initial gem income. Does the game support that gems only appear randomly? Then that might really be used in other mods, too.

Some nitpickings: The Halberdier of the watch look like they're wearing a cropped tummy Full Plate Mail. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

The Knight of the Moon seem worse, stats-wise, than the Knights of the Star, so why are they more expensive?

Juzza June 7th, 2007 05:04 AM

Yay a DNDish style mod, I don't really think it's that over powered, the prices for the stronger units are pretty fair so it balances out their power.

I love the one with the merchants, mainly cause it's run by an oligarchy, but still it's great, on love the long spear militas it makes then so much better for things like cavalry fodda.

Twan June 7th, 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

The Knight of the Moon seem worse, stats-wise, than the Knights of the Star, so why are they more expensive?

In my first version all units of the moon had fear (0) but the fear effect was too devastating with 5+ knights, so I removed it. It's true that without they are a little overpriced (but it's thematic considering their plate armor). I'll give them a little better stats in a next version.

Shovah32 June 7th, 2007 09:54 AM

E9N9 Pale is alot of fun. Your black knight commanders make great thugs(with one being a prophet for divine blessing) and a combination of black knights(heavy hitters who absorb damage very well) and fire knights(good prot with bless, even better prot with berserk, 2 regen and fireshield) seems very effective. I didnt use any magic with them(drain 3, wanted to try the bless with decent scales) but it looks nice.

I also like the greyhawk nation, with some earth, nature and death on my pretender aswell as very good income scales(Order 3, Prod 3, Growth 3, Misfortune 3, Magic 1 and imprisoned pretender) i had a good time through the whole game. The 300 Gold thugs with a few trinkets were fun(N4E4D4 helped a little), the missile troops were deadly(great prrecision but well priced imo) and the heavy swordsmen were great shields. I focused mostly on building merchants in my capitol with the occasional arch-mage and quickly erected 3 castles to produce magus quickly for research. With a fire income of 20 or so per turn artillery spells and kings of elemental fire were soon destroying the enemy while my army(many, many mages, 300 high precision crossbowmen and 100 heavy swordsmen) simply stayed at home and watched. My pretender, a 9 dominion prince of death with the previously mentioned magics stayed home until he has summoned a king of elemental earth, a mound fiend and an ivy king at which point he was equipped and sent off to battle.

Very nice mods here, lots of fun to play.

Roghain June 23rd, 2007 01:26 AM

Twan, cheers for the work sofar. Will you be aiming for creating a scenario for the GH wars? And if so, are there any GH maps already around?
Oh, yes, I saw the "artisanal" map. I'd be interested in one encompassing not just the Flanaess, but the entire continent of Oerik or even worse - Oerth itself.

Twan June 23rd, 2007 09:38 AM

Yes my goal is to make nations for a scenario on the artisanal map (but I will be forced to use mostly existing sprites for several nations if I want to make all nations I think about without running into the number of sprites bug).

I don't have any map or book showing parts of Oerth other than Flanaess (IIRC one can be found in the AD&D2 Greyhawk's Guide but I just have the old Greyhawk box).

Roghain June 23rd, 2007 10:35 AM

Aha.
There are no detailed "canon" maps for parts other than the Flanaess, but there are some fan-made detail maps of oerik based on TSR material.

Given the number of seperate nations I daresay you'd run into sprite trouble soon - a massive undertaking to put it mildly.

One could consider creating "teams" of nations/interest groups divided along the six protagonists. Then, some can almost be taken from the vanilla lists - Ermor does feel like the decaying Great Kingdom...
C'tis could be... I dunno, allies from Hepmonaland for the Scarlet Brotherhood... interesting.

*curses his own inability to mod worth 2 copper*

Twan June 30th, 2007 03:41 PM

Version 0.2

- Added the nation of Highfolk (this nation isn't completely finished, these high elves have no heroes for the moment, and like others only standard pretenders).

- some little changes to Greyhawk and Pale units stats

Version 0.2 b

- the elven princess and sorceress were male

- added two multihero commands for Highfolk (giving a ranger lord or an high elf mage)

(Highfolk is a nation leaded by high elves, but with a large population of humans, wood elves, halfling and gnomes as well. The high elves have mages with a forge bonus and practice nature, air, water and fire ; all their leaders have some random magic skills and they can recruit sorceress in forts without labs. Their units have amazing stats but are rather expensive and they prefer shining -but medium- armors to stealth ; the gnomes are slow but have a high MR, and furnish the heaviest infantry of the nation -not super heavy anyway-, their mages are illusionists able to take the appearance of a dragon and are the only ones to have some earth magic ; halflings and wood elves furnish cheap stealthy units but with extremely low morale but with sacred rangers and stealthy knights to support them, the nation has a good raiding capacity. )

ps : considering the limitations for mega mod support (trying to test a game with 3 more of my half done nations I start to have nagots), I'll make separate mods for each nation the next time I add one (after my holydays, I'm leaving for some weeks) + a mega mod version without units descriptions and using a smaller number of new sprites.

Twan November 30th, 2007 06:55 AM

v0.3 :
DIDN'T WORKED GAME CRASHED AT GAME CREATION

The error was due to an use of nametype 149.

----

V0.4
Fixed the error.

(removed the attachment - next version in the first and last message)