.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Reproducible Server Failure (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=17965)

Zapmeister February 23rd, 2004 07:55 AM

Reproducible Server Failure

I'm in a game (started in thread "Pillin's TCP/IP Game" or similar) in which the server crashes in exactly the same way every turn. The game only proceeds because the host restarts the server after it fails each turn.

The game is set to quickhost, running after 48 hours at the most. It never gets to 48 hours. After the Last person plays, the game hosts (I think) and the server hangs. Everyone that connects hangs on the "Waiting for game info" message.

After a while (possibly after some number of aborted client connections) no connection can be made at all. Then Pillin comes along, resets everything, and we can play the next turn.

Any chance of getting this tracked down and fixed in the next patch? Maybe Pillin would need to set some debugging flags and forward files to the devs, but it's so reproducible that I would think it's a great opportunity to find the bug.

February 23rd, 2004 08:06 AM

Re: Reproducible Server Failure

If this is a .tmp issue it is a known issue I believe. It comes from serving and playing on the same computer more often than not. Even if you just start up Dominions to look at something on that computer it creates a .tmp file and when the server hosts, it has an issue with it, dies. Restart the game and host and it works fine. At least in my case.

If it's not a .tmp error that he's getting, then it could be a router cough. As that happens from time to time too.

[ February 23, 2004, 08:47: Message edited by: Zen ]

Johan K February 23rd, 2004 10:24 AM

Pillin, feel free to fill me in on the details as I haven't experienced this myself.

Gandalf Parker February 23rd, 2004 04:37 PM

The game does now properly redirect error Messages. So you can trap the specific error to a text file. Here is what I am running (on linux)...
nohup dom2 -ST --port 7011 -t 0 0 -t 1 0 -t 2 0 -t 3 0 -t 4 0 -t 5 0 -t 6 0 -g RyanEye >/dev/null 2>>RyanEye.err &

Apprently it no longer spews out continual text so the directing normal screen to /dev/null might not be needed. You might be able to just send everything to a log file. I havent tried that new feature yet.

Johan K February 23rd, 2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
Apprently it no longer spews out continual text so the directing normal screen to /dev/null might not be needed. You might be able to just send everything to a log file. I havent tried that new feature yet.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">That new feature is for the next patch, so you'll have to wait a while before trying it.