.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   "Magical" weapons and armor question. (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=29614)

BigJMoney July 21st, 2006 02:50 PM

\"Magical\" weapons and armor question.

I'm a bit confused as to what constitutes a magical weapon and magical armor. I know that magical weapons are needed to bypass ethereal, and I've seen some spells that are negated by magical armor (such as iron bane), and I'd like to know how to use them properly.

Are all magic items considered "magical" for these purposes?

What about casting spells on allies? If I cast Marble Warriors, are my troops now wearing "magical" armor? If I cast Weapons of Sharpness, are my troops now wielding "magical" weapons?

=$= Big J Money =$=

Endoperez July 21st, 2006 04:26 PM

Re: \"Magical\" weapons and armor question.

All magical items are considered magical weapons or armor. Ice weapons of Caelum are considered magical. Mind Blasts of R'lyeh are magical. few special units wield magical weapons: Eternal Knights of the merc company wield Flambeau, some heroes wield magical armor identical to what they would get from wielding a magical suit of armor (a C'tissian hero has Rainbow Armor?), etc.

At least magical weapons are shown to be magical when you right-click on them on unit properties. I don't think I've ever seen an armor stated as magical, and I'm not sure if the modding commands allow for making an armor magical.

thejeff July 21st, 2006 04:58 PM

Flaming weapons (F9 bless) count as magical. I believe flaming arrows do too. Weapons of Sharpness do not seem too. At least my Black Templars fared no better against Soul gate Ermor with that cast than without it.

Not sure about armor spells.

shovah July 21st, 2006 05:07 PM

I think magical armour just counts as forged items. I agree that (to my knowledge) weapons of sharpness dosnt give the magical weapon attribute but what it DOES do is make clockwork horrors pwn anything that isnt ethereal.

NTJedi July 21st, 2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

shovah said:
I agree that (to my knowledge) weapons of sharpness dosnt give the magical weapon attribute but what it DOES do is make clockwork horrors pwn anything that isnt ethereal.

Just need a nature mage or two casting relief in the background otherwise they take an early nap.

shovah July 21st, 2006 06:19 PM

They tended to kill things before that happened, they also had a seige golem up front to absorb hits, crush any tough opposition and break castle wars.

BigJMoney July 21st, 2006 07:37 PM

Do you mind if I ask a quick question I've been wondering aout clockwork horrors while I'm at it? Is it possible for them to get to 200 fatigue and destroy themselves? Or will they just always fall asleep at 100? I would swear I lost an entire army of clockwork horrors the other day and I'm not entirely sure what happened to them.

=$=

Wish July 21st, 2006 07:52 PM

the magic armor you are refering to in the original post is actually magic resistance. when something is negated it is by the reistance, not any armor class.

NTJedi July 21st, 2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

shovah said:
They tended to kill things before that happened, they also had a seige golem up front to absorb hits, crush any tough opposition and break castle wars.

yes the clockwork horrors do great at killing until they fall asleep... the nature mage(s) keep them going the entire battle. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

wow... siege golem on the front... I wouldn't place them on the front unless I had a lvl_3+ astral mage casting anti-magic for the battlefield. Even then I usually place him on the side so enemy mages don't pop him.

BigJMoney July 21st, 2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
the magic armor you are refering to in the original post is actually magic resistance. when something is negated it is by the reistance, not any armor class.

No, it isn't. I'm referring to magical armor. For example, the spell Iron Bane that weakens armor states that "magical armors are not affected". I was wondering if there is a spell I can cast on my troops so their armor is considered magical.

=$=