.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Rings of Sorcery and Wizaerdry (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43185)

GrudgeBringer May 22nd, 2009 02:25 PM

Rings of Sorcery and Wizaerdry

Ring of Sorcery covers 4 (I think) magic paths while Ring of Wizardry Covers all magic paths.

What is the difference between Sorcery and Wizardry...

I first hought that the Ring of Sorcery was only good in battle Or perhaps as a Ritual calling item.

While the Ring of wizardry just ups all magic paths for what ever you wanted.

The more I look at it...it seems that the Ring of Sorcery is just a leesor version of the Ring of Wizardry...

The thing that concerns me is the definition on page 281 of the Manual. It says Ring of Sorcery....Sorcery +1 Penetration +1

Ring of Wizardry Magic +1 Penetration +1

Comments please....:confused:

Zeldor May 22nd, 2009 02:27 PM

Re: Rings of Sorcery and Wizaerdry

Sorcery = S/D/N/B
Wizardry = Sorcery + Elemental, so everything

GrudgeBringer May 22nd, 2009 02:37 PM

So you are saying tha ROS is just a booster for 4 paths and can be used to forge, cast ritual spells, and summons.

ROW just adds elemental protection and has more paths...

Is this correct?

Zeldor May 22nd, 2009 02:40 PM

What protection? I was talking about paths, it's just a booster. Sorcery boosts 4 paths, Wizardry boosts 8.

Endoperez May 22nd, 2009 03:13 PM

Both boost paths. That's their main use, and the only other power I remember is slight bonus to penetrating enemy's magic resistance. The magic boost is what makes them very, very good.
Elemental paths: fire, water, air, earth
Sorcery paths: astral, nature, death, blood

RoS boosts sorcery paths, RoW boosts all paths (both elemental and sorcery).

chrispedersen May 22nd, 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endoperez (Post 692335)
Both boost paths. That's their main use, and the only other power I remember is slight bonus to penetrating enemy's magic resistance. The magic boost is what makes them very, very good.
Elemental paths: fire, water, air, earth
Sorcery paths: astral, nature, death, blood

RoS boosts sorcery paths, RoW boosts all paths (both elemental and sorcery).

+1 penetration, is not a slight bonus, but rather huge. Penetration, and penetration items make some strategies possible which otherwise would not be.. like mass enslaves or mindhunts.

MaxWilson May 22nd, 2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer (Post 692327)
Ring of Sorcery covers 4 (I think) magic paths while Ring of Wizardry Covers all magic paths.

What is the difference between Sorcery and Wizardry...

Ring of Wizardry is better (boosts elemental paths too). Ring of Sorcery is cheaper. Because they're different items, you can use both at the same time.

-Max

Endovior May 23rd, 2009 01:52 AM

Another important distinction is that RoS is easier to make... important when bootstrapping Astral. The possibility of going Crystal Coin -> Starshine Skullcap -> Ring of Sorcery -> Ring of Wizardry opens up a lot of doors, and is available to many nations.

If you don't have a high-astral pretender, it's basically THE way to get at those high-astral spells; an S3 mage becomes S7 with all that gear on.

Edi May 23rd, 2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endovior (Post 692418)
Another important distinction is that RoS is easier to make... important when bootstrapping Astral. The possibility of going Crystal Coin -> Starshine Skullcap -> Ring of Sorcery -> Ring of Wizardry opens up a lot of doors, and is available to many nations.

If you don't have a high-astral pretender, it's basically THE way to get at those high-astral spells; an S3 mage becomes S7 with all that gear on.

Only if he has three misc slots, since crystal coin, RoS and RoW are all misc items.