.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Blink (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40733)

Illuminated One October 2nd, 2008 02:17 PM

Blink

What is this spell good for?

I always see my communion slaves cast this spell when I go to easy on them. They end up next to the enemy archers and get killed.

Are there any non-suicidial uses for this spell?

Zeldor October 2nd, 2008 02:21 PM

Re: Blink

No, rather not.

Tifone October 2nd, 2008 02:38 PM

If you've an almost untouchable SC and a battlefield damaging enchantment cast (even through item) - it can be useful to give him the sandals of the crone (correct name?) which spam blink so your SC goes around making a little harder for the enemy hordes to swarm him while they get damaged.

Well, that's absolutely "niche" but it was the only thing that was in my experience ^^

DonCorazon October 2nd, 2008 02:38 PM

I actually have been experimenting with sandals of the crane, which autocast blink - and find it can be useful on a strong thug with lots of action points as there are a number of times when i have blinked in to the rear flanks and taken out key magi. It also can cause infantry to run around without getting any attacks in and mess up enemy formations. Best used with some other form of offensive units as well so you don't blink around endlessly causing an auto-route and also can target the enemy combatants chasing the blinker.

Sombre October 2nd, 2008 02:41 PM

Well there are fun uses for the sandals, that's for sure.

But for the spell blink? I can't think of any.

thejeff October 2nd, 2008 02:49 PM

It's a shame. It would be a really cool spell if the AI was smart enough to use it well.

Imagine a mage fighting infantry who would blink randomly away whenever they got too close to him. Or an SC who would blink whenever he wasn't close enough to fight an enemy (OK flight works better there)

But as it is? Yeah it's a waste. And usually a suicide if the AI decides to cast it.

Poopsi October 2nd, 2008 04:16 PM

Indeed. Most of my communions dont die of fatigue. They die because the slaves start casting blink.

One workaround I found is giving them a crossbow and having them on a script of "Comm slave, hold, hold, hold, hold, fire closest". This gives you 28 spell turns after the comm slave spell, before they start blinking.

Nikelaos October 2nd, 2008 04:31 PM

if it was AOE or battlefeild wide it could be useable, i can see something like that used as a sorta regenerating thug rotation wheel, some thugs will be blinked at the enemy, some will be blinked far and for those five turns you would see some thugs getting an all important rest to regenerate and others brought in to the action when they were blinked far away before and so are fresh and ready.

however this doesn't exist right now so oh well.

Hadrian_II October 2nd, 2008 04:37 PM

Just take a banner with you, so your S1 mages wont blink and die :)

Nikelaos October 2nd, 2008 04:40 PM

having a banner for each communion member is quite expensive don't you think?

surely it would be better spent put into summons and other rituals?