.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Sudden Problems With Windowed Mode (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51064)

DRG December 23rd, 2015 09:03 AM

Re: Sudden Problems With Windowed Mode

My computer is only two years old and I'm running the latest MS OS but what happens when I run the game with taskbar hide is NOT the exception, it's the rule.......just like the example in post 1 and that has been the case since the first day we converted the game to run windowed mode .What you see IS the exception and by "exception" I mean yours is the only case I know of where the game runs OK windowed with taskbar hide on.

Wiking December 23rd, 2015 01:30 PM

Yes, and like I said on multiple installs on various OS's of windows and even three different computers I've never seen that problem. In fact I was baffled when the installer told me to disable that and I ignored it. If you can think of some information I could provide that might give insight I'd be happy to post specs or things I've installed but I'm grasping at straws here.

DRG December 23rd, 2015 01:50 PM

Do you have the game properties set to any type of compatibility ?

Wiking December 23rd, 2015 01:56 PM

Negative. Always just run it in windowed mode 1280 x 1024 with introductions off.

scorpio_rocks December 23rd, 2015 02:03 PM

Not wanting to be rude Wiking but are you sure you have Auto hide on?

IIRC the Windows default is to have it set off - it interferes with many programs! many people don't ever turn it on.

The same is often true of aero-peek (it can screw stuff up) - it doesn't give problems with the WinSP stuff and most people have it set on.

DRG December 23rd, 2015 05:02 PM

I would REALLY like to hear from anyone else who runs with auto hide on with the game in windowed mode.......there CANNOT just be one

Wiking December 23rd, 2015 06:27 PM

No offense taken Scorpio, but I assure you it is indeed auto-hiding. Its the first thing I enable whenever I reinstall Windows. I confess I don't recall what Aero-peek is. Is that one of the features where you can tab through windows quickly?

Mobhack December 28th, 2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiking (Post 832434)
Negative. Always just run it in windowed mode 1280 x 1024 with introductions off.

In which case, you wont get a skewed screen, since the main game window is not trying to use the full depth. You would most likely do, if you chose desktop resolution in order to use the full window real estate, or the window happened to be equal to the screen depth or larger.

In any case, there is now an optional INI file parameter which is to be put into the [graphics] section for those like you who don't want an auto-hide check.

CheckForTaskbar=0;

If the variable is not found on reading the INI file, then the game defaults to 1, i.e. the standard state of checking, so that variable will only need entering for the tiny few who want to override it to 0.

Mobhack January 4th, 2016 08:55 PM

Ok - Since somebody seems to be OK with auto-hide, its now a 2 button warning message box with the option to abort or to continue on regardless.

There is also a new button on the game options misc screen for those who find that they love task bar auto-hide, and would prefer not to be nagged by the game test. So they can choose to skip the test for auto-hide if they so desire by setting that button to OFF.