.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   ATGM's firing at below minimum range. (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52316)

Imp October 31st, 2019 11:29 AM

ATGM's firing at below minimum range.

Is anybody else having this issue?
Especially noticeable with ATGMs with a long minimum range like cobras.
They do only get a 1% hit chance but they now take the shot instead of holding fire.

Mobhack October 31st, 2019 11:37 AM

Re: ATGM's firing at below minimum range.

They definitely should not be doing this.

Presumably AI held weapons?

Opfire or regular fire?

Steves308 October 31st, 2019 03:25 PM

I've seen this recently too. In my case:

AI weapon - Malutkas
Op fire when I almost ran over the hidden ATGM team.
The 1% hit chance sounds familiar, a very low percentage like that.
It was a long campaign scenario, 1970s (if that matters).
I don't see it a lot, probably more of an Op fire situation when I end up on top of or very near the ATGM team.

Steves308

Imp October 31st, 2019 03:57 PM

Certainly under opfire but I think regular fire to

DRG October 31st, 2019 04:56 PM

If anyone can provide us with a save that will show it happening on replay that would be helpful.

Mobhack October 31st, 2019 06:07 PM

Oh - if these were Sagger teams, then those usually have a RPG-7 to cover the 0-500m dead zone. Maybe you were seeing an RPG shot?.

Mobhack October 31st, 2019 07:50 PM

Bug confirmed - AI v AI game, all tanks start within 500m of saggers, saggers fired at 1% to hit.

Something to put on the to-fix list.

Suhiir November 1st, 2019 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 846256)
Bug confirmed - AI v AI game, all tanks start within 500m of saggers, saggers fired at 1% to hit.

Something to put on the to-fix list.

Interesting bug.
Maybe has something to do with the RPG that's typically part of Sagger teams (i.e. a 2nd AT class weapon)? Don't recall ever seeing it in TOW/Dragon/Javelin teams.

Steves308 November 1st, 2019 01:37 PM

I don't think it was the RPG, as that weapon usually followed the ATGM and got my tank ;^)

But Suhiir has a point, I don't think I've seen it with an ATGM team that doesn't have a backup type of anti-tank weapon.

Steves308

Mobhack November 1st, 2019 04:08 PM

I just tried that test with Italian cobras, which have no RPG. The AI fired one at about 350 yards by itself, but the rest stayed silent until the tanks moved , when the cobras started to fire within minimum range as big bottle rockets.

So the RPG is a factor in AI firing in regular fire, but the things do fire in opfire as well.

I also started manually, and the game fired the cobras manually at tanks within 500m as well.

So - something has gone squiffy with the minimum range code (if it ever worked - I cant think of any time I have tried firing ATGM within knife range in the last 20 years, myself!).

I suppose it could be rationalised as "fire what you have and pray for a Hail Mary" since in one test a 1% sagger made the hit when fired as a bottle rocket. But the programmer in me wants to find out why it is firing out of parameters and fix that as a bug.