.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps & Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Conceptual Balance Mod 5.4 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=26175)

Edi September 30th, 2005 02:23 PM

Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 5.0

It's supposed to be air 2, 10 gems. The problem with the mod is that it says #mainpath 2 when it should say #mainpath 1 (the numbering beginning at 0 for fire, 1 for air and so on). Incompetent of me to have missed that when I did the readme...

Edi

Morkilus October 1st, 2005 04:11 PM

So I changed "#mainpath 2" to "#mainlevel 2". Should this make it do what was intended? I figure the path should be default. This is my first (mod)ification, so sorry if I sound n00bish.

Morkilus October 1st, 2005 04:18 PM

Uh, I understand why the Wraith sword has no strength added (since it's ethereal and everything), but doesn't 1 attack power make it completely nerfed? I guess if lifedraining was completely bah-roken in the game, it makes sense to obliterate it, if that was the intention. I'd hate to make one without knowing it was completely useless.

Turin October 1st, 2005 04:28 PM

attack power is just the added attack skill, which can be further boosted with burning pearl etc. .The damage is still 9, but itīs armornegating now, so you are guaranted to do 9 lifedraining damage with each attack if you hit. Makes the wraith sword a nice situational weapon in my opinion.

Your fix for the winged boots should be correct.

Chazar October 2nd, 2005 06:43 AM

What precautions must be taken for ongoing MP games? Is it just enough to fix the .dm file on the server?

---

About Balance: My perception is Magic Difficulty and Independent Strength shift the Balance between Nations like Ulm and Caelum, say. Difficult Research and High Independent Strength helps Magic-Weak nations, so a nerfed Caelum might be at too much of a disadvantge.

quantum_mechani October 2nd, 2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Chazar said:
What precautions must be taken for ongoing MP games? Is it just enough to fix the .dm file on the server?

---

About Balance: My perception is Magic Difficulty and Independent Strength shift the Balance between Nations like Ulm and Caelum, say. Difficult Research and High Independent Strength helps Magic-Weak nations, so a nerfed Caelum might be at too much of a disadvantge.

I think everyone would need the fixed mod. I would have released the tiny fix myself but I was waiting to see if more issues would crop up.

I'm not sure high independents really helps magic weak nations, or even difficult research in many cases. In any case, I would not worry about even the nerfed Caelum being weaker than Ulm no matter what settings you choose.

GriffinOfBuerrig October 2nd, 2005 02:02 PM

Thats very very cool, now the dokumentation i really like the mods - before it was a kind of "mass randomasation" to me!

I really like it!

Turin October 2nd, 2005 05:07 PM

I just took the time to look over the hero part of the mod and there are quite a few differences to my version of the mod.

Those probably got accidently in when the redundant lines(which I left in for better visualization of the unit) in my mod were removed.
I noticed some oddities in my version too, apparently the nullmod.dm which I took as the source for the unmodified heroes doesnīt account for the effects of magic schools(like fire giving +1 attack and earth giving +1 prot).
This results for example in some earth mages having natural protection even if there is no thematic reason for that.

So I will update my mod to version 1.3 in a couple of days and will then incorporate it in the complete mod.

The missing changes in this version of the complete mod are mostly hardly noticeable( like a few missing hps/prot/atk points etc) , but the abysian hero lost its s3 magic and vanlade the vanheim hero is back to d2.

Edi October 3rd, 2005 05:20 AM

There is an issue for the item mod, not related to the Winged Boots.

With the way the Wave Breaker has been improved to be a good weapon, the Trident from Beyond artifact needs some serious beefing up. As it is right now, the artifact is next to useless as a weapon and the only reason you might want to build one is for the water magic boost. Jump its defense and attack up to the same levels as (or even a bit higher than) the wave breaker.

No other issues, though.

Turin, if you really want to make sure that your new version of the heroes mod uses the absolutely correct stats, toss me an email to edirr(at)welho(dot)com. I'll email you an updated version of the Unit DB that lets you see the default values for defense, attack, prot, encumbrance etc regardless of magic, armor, weapons and so forth.

That way you can get things right from the start and we won't have to debug it several times. The reason why redundant lines are missing from the current mod is because when documenting changes from the unmodded game, I hate seeing redundancy in the mod. Too easy to just put those into the readme and make the hero entries unwieldy. It's a pain in the arse trying to see what has been changed and what has not.

Word to the wise: Relying on the old Unit DB file (even with the updates) for encumbrance and defense values is a BAD idea without double checking the BASE values from the game. When I get the reworked one out for public consumption in a few days, it will be the final version, barring any (unlikely) patches to the game itself.

Edi

PDF October 4th, 2005 10:28 AM

Son of the Sea has been left with W2 D1 ? Death is IMHO pretty unthematic for him, why give him that (and not, say, N1..) ??