.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   do you guys think... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49354)

parone November 29th, 2012 09:44 PM

do you guys think...

the next dominions patch will actually be compatible with dominions?

Gandalf Parker November 29th, 2012 10:06 PM

Re: do you guys think...

The patch was fine with Dominions. :)

What you are asking is, will it be compatible with Windows. And not only that but with 2 out of 8 versions of Windows that it seemed to have a problem with. And actually its even compatible with those so what you want to know is if the next patch will work with the security protections of those 2 versions of windows.

Getting a Linux game to run on a Windows machine is getting harder all the time.

AND consider this...
the next patch will likely be part of Desura's and Steam's auto-updater so that you will only know its been updated after it happens.
So.... good question.

parone November 29th, 2012 10:34 PM

gandy, it was more of a rhetorical question and an attempt at humor after struggling with my computer for about two hours...

Gandalf Parker November 29th, 2012 11:00 PM

I totally apologize.

I used to take everything that way. I really did. But I got razzed about it a lot. I got kindof trained out of it here. Now I tend to take things as a biting attack instead of a fun jab.

Please, return to having a good time.

parone November 30th, 2012 12:00 AM

well, the positive thing with my struggles vis a vis windows/dominions is that so many people(including you) have tried to help me.

so there is that...

Soyweiser November 30th, 2012 10:08 AM

Oww sarcasm :D.

But yeah, it seems this patch causes a few problems. Sucks. Reinstalling the base game seems to work right? We could use a sticky which lists the problems and how to correctly install the game. (copying the mods and savegame dirs to safety before uninstalling).

mattyburn7 November 30th, 2012 10:42 AM

I put this in another thread but I'll will add here. I tried things like doing run as administrator and reinstalling to Program Files (x86) (those things I thought would work), but they did not.

Reinstalling to a Non-program files folder DID work. That might be the way to go. Just make sure you backup your saved games, mods and maps folders prior. I don't know what all the uninstall deletes.

Edi November 30th, 2012 10:50 AM

Dominions should always be installed in a non-Program Files folder on Windows Vista and newer. This has been stated in several threads.

Soyweiser November 30th, 2012 11:19 AM

Perhaps we could unsticky the site conversion topic, and add a new one that lists how to install and troubleshoot these problems.

mattyburn7 November 30th, 2012 11:23 AM

I probably did not notice because it always worked prior so I didn't have a need and never stumbled on them. So for those like me I am stating it now if it worked before but not in this patch.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 814797)
Dominions should always be installed in a non-Program Files folder on Windows Vista and newer. This has been stated in several threads.