.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Difficult scenarios & campaigns? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49605)

Badger March 21st, 2013 08:03 PM

Difficult scenarios & campaigns?

Hey,

I'd like some input on what have been the most difficult scenarios or campaigns you have played?

It seems that almost every scenario I have played recently has been a absolutely crushing decisive victory. I'm not saying I'm outstanding in this game but it can get boring vs. AI if there is not in any point a real prospect of losing. Although, probably most of the scenarios are not in fact hard, because it is likely that most people don't like losing...

It seems that at times the scenario designer has imposed more difficulty by reducing the number of turns for example in assault missions, but i consider this a little artificial, and rather like missions where i'm seriously outnumbered :)

As there are folks here who have been playing many of the scenarios, which ones have been the most difficult for you? I myself liked very much scenario #72 "Sacrifice of The Few" that was really hard to pull a DV out of.

Badger

jivemi March 21st, 2013 10:38 PM

Re: Difficult scenarios & campaigns?

So which ones have you played Badger? From my experience, defensive battles and meeting engagements are the easiest, while assaults are hardest. Advances are somewhere in-between.

I've found the 29th Infantry campaign to be quite difficult; couldn't even finish it since I got wiped out in the seventh(?) battle. Gotta try it again sometime. The Kursk campaign seems easier, if only 'cuz the first two scenarios are rather simple, even a bit tedious. But things start hotting up in the third. What makes it interesting (for some--others don't like it) is the designer's use of "encroached setup," in which some opposing units are intermingled on both sides of the starting line.

As for scenarios, #18 Grudge Match, #46 Totenkopf Attacks, #73 Return to Guam, and #90 Attack on Czerkasy are quite difficult IMHO. You'll notice they're all assaults, so you can expect a challenge.

BTW I've already posted my reactions to most of these with separate threads in this forum. You may peruse them at your leisure.

jivemi March 22nd, 2013 12:58 AM

Edit: Just played #33, Halfaya Pass as the Germans (advance) again. First time I got a draw, this time a marginal (something like 1960 to 289). You gotta be quick, else the Brits reinforce with Matildas and Valentines too soon to get the last VH('s). Even though I got all the objectives it still wasn't enough, despite losing only one tank. If you can get a decisive without reloading you're a better player than me. Cheers.

Imp March 22nd, 2013 02:44 AM

Difficulty varies a lot & I would agree on the whole the difficulty level is a tad to easy but there are some tough ones. Remembering which ones though is beyond me but the advice above is generally correct attacking is normaly harder than defending.
The ANZAC campaign is very hard but no good if you like playing with tanks & scenerio 32 is reasonably hard & great fun but cant remember any more.

Aeraaa March 22nd, 2013 05:59 AM

scenario 223 is next to impossible, because you have to assault a well entrenched German position with a British rifle company in 18 turns which very little time to manage anything. If anyone managed to have a better outcome than a decisive defeat, please let me know.

jivemi March 22nd, 2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeraaa (Post 818652)
scenario 223 is next to impossible, because you have to assault a well entrenched German position with a British rifle company in 18 turns which very little time to manage anything. If anyone managed to have a better outcome than a decisive defeat, please let me know.

Yeah, took a look. Taking 20 objectives with just 19 units is hard enough; having to cross a bridge (unless you wanna go for the fords through swamps) and attack along a mined road (or through snowdrifts)--with just two tanks plus a 3-inch mortar for "support," and without engineers--borders on the surreal. Perhaps the designer was a sadist:rolleyes:. Haven't tried it, but it might be good for character-building :p.

gila March 23rd, 2013 08:02 PM

scen.32 Danube rivermen.

Although not the most difficult.
You have many diverse units to use,, skill and planning is essential, it's one my favorites:)

jivemi March 23rd, 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gila (Post 818691)
scen.32 Danube rivermen.

Although not the most difficult.
You have many diverse units to use,, skill and planning is essential, it's one my favorites:)

Yes, Imp likes it as well. Sounds good, gotta try it.

Btw scenario #70-SSsPZ 502 Attacks Kustrin deserves mention, if only because of adverse weather and terrain conditions facing the Germans.

Laeska March 26th, 2013 10:33 AM

Aeraaa, left hook give you a draw in #223. 500+ points behind, but a "draw game" anyway.

One platoon to bypass from left with tanks. Tank pick flag most far and passenger 200pts flags next to it. Runners can take two 150pts flags and the one from the trench. Mortar smoke to secure river crossing. Moved mortar closer, z-fired and used target as basis of smoke fire mission. Flame tank turned right after river and cleaned trench. I am not sure was it only because smoke but used main force to fire to trench. Manouver platoon did not got pinned even got some shots against. Flag on bridge was easy with one squad. Slow move and some smoke.

Maybe this puzzle is impossible to win. Still ways to do better, but this is going to be more scripting a move library than playing a wargame.

Ts4EVER March 26th, 2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jivemi (Post 818645)
I've found the 29th Infantry campaign to be quite difficult; couldn't even finish it since I got wiped out in the seventh(?) battle. Gotta try it again sometime.

I submitted that campaign for the next patch btw.