.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Best ways to poach mages... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40964)

licker October 22nd, 2008 11:45 AM

Best ways to poach mages...

Straight forward question really.

What are the best options for mage hunting?

And yes I realize this depends on nation/research/magepaths...

Also, what kinds of protection would you give to your mages to protect them, and then what are the counter counters ;)

Kristoffer O October 22nd, 2008 12:00 PM

Re: Best ways to poach mages...

A bell, a candy-bar and a fly-whisk.

Edratman October 22nd, 2008 12:05 PM

To poach a mage:

Ingredients
1 to 1½ pounds mage fillets
½ cup dry white wine (a good Sauvignon Blanc)
½ cup water
A few thin slices of yellow onion and/or 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
Several sprigs of fresh dill or sprinkle of dried dill
A sprig of fresh parsley
Freshly ground black pepper

Put wine, water, dill, parsley and onions in a saute pan, and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Place mage fillets, skin-side down on the pan. Cover. Cook 5 minutes or to desired done-ness. Do not overcook. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.

Gregstrom October 22nd, 2008 12:05 PM

You may seek them with thimbles
You may seek them with care
or pursue them with forks and hope.
You can threaten their lives with a railway share
and charm them with smiles and soap.

Alternatively, try remote assassination spells. Earth Attack, Infernal Disease, Ashen Angel are examples thereof. If you're really intent on only getting mages, spam flying monkeys at a province first to clear out all the non-mages :D

licker October 22nd, 2008 12:18 PM

too many wise acres here ;)

And yes, I get the remote assassination spells... I suppose I was looking for a bit more in depth discussion of their relative merits vs. different mage types.

For example, mind hunt works well when there are no astral mages in the province, and is death for your mage if there are s2+ mages there correct?

Seeking Arrow works reasonably well, but if the mage is wearing armor it doesn't work very well, and if the mage has some other form of missile protection it also has a poor success rate.

Fires from Afar can hit mages, but unless you are hitting a research center with a very high mage density its not going to be very effective...

Also do these kinds of spells generally benefit from being cast with higher levels of the appropriate path?

llamabeast October 22nd, 2008 12:19 PM

I'm fairly sure Seeking Arrow is AN, and hence unaffected by armour.

Sombre October 22nd, 2008 12:38 PM

I think earth attack is pretty much the king of assassination spells.

If your enemy has research squads in forests, wild hunt can actually kill a few, but outside of CBM it's not worth the effort.

Poopsi October 22nd, 2008 12:49 PM

Doesn´t that nature spell that summons the furies allegedly target Blood Mages for attacks? (never tried it. Just checking if it works as claimed

licker October 22nd, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poopsi (Post 647375)
Doesn´t that nature spell that summons the furies allegedly target Blood Mages for attacks? (never tried it. Just checking if it works as claimed

I've seen it in a SP game, and yeah, it was targeting my blood mages :p

Question is does it target all blood mages or just enemy mages?

Meh, I don't have the manual at work :p

How about the succubi? Are they worth the effort and how do they work?

Or that blood spell that sends devils in people dreams or whatever the description is...

Poopsi October 22nd, 2008 02:42 PM

the spell that sends dream devils just makes enemy units randomly try to assasinate enemy commanders. I didnt think it was too successful overall, through I guess it can hurt.