.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Mud on hills (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51919)

PantherCub May 3rd, 2018 02:39 PM

Mud on hills

In autogenerated maps in spring or autumn, it seems that the map generator will put mud randomly here and there on the map. This often results in substantial areas of mud on hills.

Mud in real terrain is much more prevalent in low lying areas. Would it be possible to restrict the map generator to using mud on lower elevations?

Imp May 3rd, 2018 08:06 PM

Re: Mud on hills

Mud is very prevalent on hills I can vouch for that, buildings have fallen off them due to mud slides in extreme cases and the weather on the Eastern front at least was some of the worst.
Edit it if you dont like it or change battlelocks to a location with less mud, some have a lot to reflect the above.

PantherCub May 4th, 2018 11:44 AM

The effect in the game of mud is to make vehicles get stuck. I have experience as a tank commander, and I my experience, you are a lot more likely to get stuck in mud in low lying terrain than on hills, most commonly near water features. Hills have other dangers of course, like throwing a track because of uneven terrain, but that is already simulated in the game.

DRG May 4th, 2018 12:48 PM

Mud on hills will not change.... Vimy ridge was a big muddy hill during the battle and I will not do away that game capability........There are only a few maps that have extensive mud and we allow players to redraw maps if they get one they don't like........there is only so much I am willing to do to personalize the game based on "complaints" like this.... this has been a feature of the game for years ( TWO DECADES !). You are the only one who has complained you don't like it. I am not changing the game every time someone doesn't like something especially as we have deliberately incorporated ways for players to alter maps if they get one they don't like.

Mobhack May 4th, 2018 12:56 PM

Plus there is the option to turn breakdowns off in the preferences screen, if you so desire. The mud will then be slow going, but you won't bog down.

DRG May 4th, 2018 12:58 PM

Yes, I forgot about that detail that's been part of SP since Day 1

lukerduker123 May 5th, 2018 03:21 AM

Man, I feel like I need to add my own personal experience here. In semi-arid near-desert areas mud will form near knee deep on the slope of a hill during a rainstorm. Trying to drag a dinosaur bone off the top of one in that kind of weather is insane. X_X

To me mud in the game always simulated areas of the map during or right after a rainstorm where the ground just got hard to walk on. Rain going down a hill can make the ground an absolute you know what, getting a vehicle stuck in a freshly washed out rut or ravine. Just my two cents here.

DRG May 5th, 2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukerduker123 (Post 842014)
<snip>.........Trying to drag a dinosaur bone off the top of one in that kind of weather is insane. X_X

OK.... you REALLY need to explain that :D

lukerduker123 May 6th, 2018 04:56 AM

Nothing much to explain, really. Family owns a ranch up in Colorado where we invite a team of archeologists to dig on it every year or so. One year it was sleeting down rain but we found a really, really rare bone (A lovely skull) and just couldn't leave it on the hill, so we had to work in mud up to our knees trying to get it down a twenty degree slope.

PantherCub May 7th, 2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 842009)
Mud on hills will not change.... Vimy ridge was a big muddy hill during the battle and I will not do away that game capability........There are only a few maps that have extensive mud and we allow players to redraw maps if they get one they don't like........there is only so much I am willing to do to personalize the game based on "complaints" like this.... this has been a feature of the game for years ( TWO DECADES !). You are the only one who has complained you don't like it. I am not changing the game every time someone doesn't like something especially as we have deliberately incorporated ways for players to alter maps if they get one they don't like.

Just to explain, I was talking about the probabilities in the automatic map generator, not about doing away any capability in the game.

And I was not complaining, I was offering feedback as suggestion for improvement of a game that is the one I have played the most of all games I own. One of the best games ever made IMHO! But if you feel that mud is just as likely on hills as in valleys, that is fine, I am OK with editing the autogenerated maps to fit my own experiences of real European terrain.