.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Question: Number of active players (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52262)

Isto May 28th, 2019 07:54 PM

Number of active players

Does anyone have an idea how many players are playing Steel Panthers worldwide ?

I suspect there cant be many.

Suhiir May 28th, 2019 09:20 PM

Re: Number of active players

Depends what you mean by "many".
Sure it's not millions, but probably in the thousands.
But most folks aren't really interested in simulations.
They want "bang bang shoot em up real time first person action".

Try your typical zerg rush in WinSPMBT the AI will eat you for lunch, and another player won't even break a sweat.

Wdll May 29th, 2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suhiir (Post 845316)
Try your typical zerg rush in WinSPMBT they AI will eat you for lunch, and another player won't even break a sweat.

It can work. If the opponent is not ready for it.
I remember 5-6 years ago against a very good player, I placed like 80% of my armored forces to break through the north part of the map and then mopped up from the flank.
Sure, it only worked once against him, but it was still doable.

As for how many active players there are. I guess it depends on what you mean active.

I consider myself active, but I haven't played in about a year due to other issues.
I plan on playing again this Summer.

Aeraaa May 29th, 2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdll (Post 845317)

It can work. If the opponent is not ready for it.
I remember 5-6 years ago against a very good player, I placed like 80% of my armored forces to break through the north part of the map and then mopped up from the flank.
Sure, it only worked once against him, but it was still doable.

I guess he learned the hard way why having a reserve at all times is necessary.:D

DRG May 29th, 2019 08:49 AM

It is impossible to know for certain. Certainly far more have DL'd the free version or bought the game than post on this forum. If everyone did it would be totally unmanageable.

We know there are many long-time players who have never bought the game and still use the free DL version so "tens of thousands" would be accurate if you kept it to the low side. " Hundreds of thousands" would not be. How many might play a bit every day or on weekends or maybe just the winter months there is no way to know. Nor is it possible to know how may play the game for a month or two then never again or how many might play a few weeks then not again for a year or two. It's impossible to know.

Don

whdonnelly May 31st, 2019 11:28 AM

I can confirm 1 in Kabul,the one other guy that I knew of took a job in Mali. It's funny that the NATO guys are more interested than the guys from the US. That's not from a scientific poll, just my experience.

Suhiir May 31st, 2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whdonnelly (Post 845361)
I can confirm 1 in Kabul,the one other guy that I knew of took a job in Mali. It's funny that the NATO guys are more interested than the guys from the US. That's not from a scientific poll, just my experience.

It might be because this is the only game (I'm aware of) that allows people to play with their own national army.

zovs66 June 2nd, 2019 07:33 AM

I know for certain that there are 2 in Canada, 1 in England, 1 in Finland, France, Spain and Russia. Plus 5 in USA. But those are just the folks I know.

Felix Nephthys June 3rd, 2019 06:24 PM

You can add me for the USA.

zovs66 June 3rd, 2019 06:58 PM

Oh you could also add me for the USA as well LOL