.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49862)

Cross July 5th, 2013 12:12 PM

Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
1 Attachment(s)
This mod replaces all WinSPWW2 objective flags with roundels, that average 50% of the original footprint, so you can see underlying terrain without turning off the V-Hexs.

This mod can be installed mid-battle with no PBEM, OOB or security problems.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ada_german.png

Before and After
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...objectives.png


Examples

Japan & USA
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Japan_USA.png

Italy & Britain
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ly_Britian.png

Here's a sample of 'before and after' flags and roundels:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e_Roundels.png

If you want to see almost all of the new roundels, visit this thread here:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49692

Download
Download the attached zip file: Cross_Objective_Flag_Roundel_MoD_1.0.zip

Installation
1. Unzip ‘Cross_Objective_Flag_Roundel_MoD_1.0.zip’, which contains two shape files:

Icon0095.shp
Icon0096.shp

2. Copy or move the 2 ‘shp’ files into the games 'GRAPHICS' folder, and ‘replace all’.

Before you replace the original files, I recommend backing them up, by renaming them Icon0095.orig.shp, Icon0096.orig.shp or moving them to a folder called 'Original Objective Flag Icons' or something.

Your Graphics folder is located here:
WinSPWW2/Game Data/Graphics


Shrapnel Mod Advisory:
This mod is not endorsed or supported by Shrapnel Games or The Camo Workshop.


Cross

zovs66 August 12th, 2013 08:36 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Thanks those are very cool.

ERISS August 18th, 2013 08:00 PM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Free French roundel is not beautiful.
Maybe this (400x400, is to be reduced):
http://tof.canardpc.com/preview/a134...08bd0d1d39.jpg
This was a circle, jpeg did not keep transparancy borders.
It's taken from naval Free French flag (which was the 1st one created Croix-de-Lorraine FF flag).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ree_France.svg

Cross August 19th, 2013 11:57 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERISS (Post 821578)
Free French roundel is not beautiful.
Maybe this (400x400, is to be reduced):
http://tof.canardpc.com/preview/a134...08bd0d1d39.jpg
This was a circle, jpeg did not keep transparancy borders.
It's taken from naval Free French flag (which was the 1st one created Croix-de-Lorraine FF flag).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ree_France.svg


This roundel mod is aimed at historical accuracy rather than beauty. One exception is the Poland LWP roundel which needed to be created to distinguish it from the regular Poland roundel.

I'm sorry the Free French roundel is not beautiful to you ;) but perhaps it was to the Free French fighting the war?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...omber_1941.jpg

Am I right in thinking you took the rectangular Free French naval ensign and modded it into a roundel?

Did the Free French Naval Forces include aircraft, and did those aircraft use a different roundel than other Free French aircraft?

cheers,
Cross

ERISS August 20th, 2013 09:44 PM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross (Post 821584)
This roundel mod is aimed at historical accuracy rather than beauty.
I'm sorry the Free French roundel is not beautiful to you ;) but perhaps it was to the Free French fighting the war?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...omber_1941.jpg

I didn't understand that you used aircratf roundel.
You're right, but if you want more historical accuracy (and beauty), you should make the cross thikier (and maybe the horizontal bar a little less wide?), as your cross does not really seem a good Croix de Lorainne, yours seem an aiming tool for enemies lol (not only ingame).
Your flag is okay.
Thanks for your good work :) (oh, I just see the reputation tool of the forum...)

Cross August 21st, 2013 09:18 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERISS (Post 821603)
I didn't understand that you used aircratf roundel.
You're right, but if you want more historical accuracy (and beauty), you should make the cross thikier (and maybe the horizontal bar a little less wide?), as your cross does not really seem a good Croix de Lorainne, yours seem an aiming tool for enemies lol (not only ingame).
Your flag is okay.
Thanks for your good work :) (oh, I just see the reputation tool of the forum...)


I researched the Free French roundel when I made this mod, and by looking at WWII photos I concluded there probably wasn’t a clearly communicated dimensional standard for the cross.

A good example is the above photo where the under-wing cross is thin compared to the cross on the fuselage. Another photo even has a Free French ‘budded cross’ on a white circle.

In looking at contemporary examples, the roundel is typically a thin cross.
The French ‘Free French’ Wikipedia page has the roundel just like the design I’ve used:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ch_Symbols.png

The above is a screen print from the French Wikipedia page, after a Google translation into English. You can see that the Free French Navy use a thick cross, but tanks and aircraft were supposed to have the narrow cross.

Here’s the website for the above image:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forces_...A7aises_libres

If I were to make the horizontal bar less wide, it would match the 'Croix de Lorainne' on the flag, but not the roundel.

But please show me if you have any good sources on the roundel.

Thanks,
Cross

ERISS August 22nd, 2013 12:38 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross (Post 821611)
A good example is the above photo where the under-wing cross is thin compared to the cross on the fuselage. Another photo even has a Free French ‘budded cross’ on a white circle.

In looking at contemporary examples, the roundel is typically a thin cross.
The French ‘Free French’ Wikipedia page has the roundel just like the design I’ve used:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ch_Symbols.png

The above is a screen print from the French Wikipedia page. You can see that the Free French Navy use a thick cross, but tanks and aircraft were supposed to have the narrow cross.

But please show me if you have any good sources on the roundel.

I feel wikipedia comes from this photo where the cross has been badly drawn under the wing. You may be right, but I think wikipedia took for the right roundel a bad example. Yes I have to search for sources (but you already had seen the one on the fuselage, which is good).
Here is the author of the roundel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alkivar

EDIT: not skinny one, on fuselage:
http://www.francaislibres.net/pages/index.php?id=8

ERISS August 22nd, 2013 06:49 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
http://www.livresdeguerre.net/forum/sujet.php?sujet=450

Cross August 22nd, 2013 11:42 AM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Eriss,

Giving me a link to a picture of a shield is not helpful, because it's not a roundel.

WWII pictures of roundels really only establishes what we already know:
Free French aircraft used at least five different styles of cross, including the main three I posted in a screen print in post #6.

What I would be interested in, is which was the official roundel, if such a thing existed.

At the moment, the only reference to an official aircraft roundel I have, looks like the one in the image below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../FF.Africa.png

I won't change the mod unless I get a decent source showing another roundel was the 'correct' one.

However, post an image of what you'd like it to look like, and perhaps I'll be able to make a personalised roundel for you.



Cross

ERISS August 22nd, 2013 03:48 PM

Re: Cross Objective Flag Roundel MoD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross (Post 821630)
At the moment, the only reference to an official aircraft roundel I have, looks like the one in the image below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../FF.Africa.png

I won't change the mod unless I get a decent source showing another roundel was the 'correct' one.

I'm okay with this one!! :)
which is different from what you have drawn: you see on the photo that the horizontal bar is smaller than the vertical one, and that the cross (its bars) is a very little less thin (not very, but it makes the difference).
Thank for your research and work (but I can't give you reput' again for now).

A Leclerc 2e D.B. fan (2nd Armored Division, from Cameroun to Hitler' nest).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.