.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod Project Idea: Historical References Mod (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45305)

Belac April 8th, 2010 10:54 AM

Mod Project Idea: Historical References Mod

Based on the superb Byzantine Pythium mod, I have an idea for a broader-based mod that introduces more historical references and contact between nations. Most of these are intended to be minor changes that boost the nations involved in limited ways or introduce a flavor-interesting but not super-powerful new option.

Ideas include:

LA Caelum gets human hoplite units, similar to LA Arco's (this references the Greek mercenaries who fought in the Persian civil wars, a la Xenophon and the Ten Thousand)

LA Machaka, a new nation based on Caribbean voodoo practices and slave religion (i.e, Marignon and Man conquered Machaka at the end of the Middle Age, referencing African slavery in the new world). Magic would be based on Water, Blood, and Death, and units would be mobile guerilla-types with weak stats for late age made up for by lots of stealth, assassins, and spying.

Agartha gets anchored in place in Dominions-India. MA Agartha gets (more expensive) Kala-Mukhas, who fled underground from the victorious Kailasans and were enslaved by the Agarthans, as well as perhaps another Lanka-based hero. This also gives them a little blood for Blood Stones, which would strengthen them in vanilla. In LA the connection dwindles to a Kala-Mukha multihero.

In keeping with the "lots of limited underwater access" nature of LA (Ermorian undead, Jomon summoned Kappas, Mictlan Rain Warriors, etc), LA Pangaea gets a cap-only unit and commander Icthysatyr and Icthysatyr Chief, who represent fugitives from fallen Oceania.

I'm sure there are lots of other potential ideas out there.

Sombre April 8th, 2010 11:15 AM

Re: Mod Project Idea: Historical References Mod

The issue is finding someone to make the mods old chap.

Belac April 8th, 2010 11:17 AM

Indeed. For that matter, do you know where I could locate a current version of the mod manual? Google seems to be of little assistance.

Gandalf Parker April 8th, 2010 11:17 AM

Hmm... interesting.
But not what I thought when I read the title of the thread.

I was thinking what a good idea it might be to have a mod that takes the more verified real-world connections from the other history threads, and modify only the names and descriptions of the nations. Kindof a "teaching aid" to people who would like to be able to remember the connections.

There have been some maps IIRC that took real-world maps and tried to place the nations in their real-world origins.

Stavis_L April 8th, 2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belac (Post 739551)
Indeed. For that matter, do you know where I could locate a current version of the mod manual? Google seems to be of little assistance.

Look in the docs subdirectory of your dominions game directory. It comes with the game, and is updated by the patches.

Belac April 8th, 2010 12:14 PM

I checked my dominions 3 directory, and I don't seem to have that subfolder.

Sombre April 8th, 2010 12:27 PM

Operating System?

Belac April 8th, 2010 12:48 PM

Mac OS 10.5

Septimius Severus April 8th, 2010 01:01 PM

I like the idea of any mod that expands on or introduces more historical elements to the game. I've always wondered why siege machines (Onagers, Ballistas, Scorpions, seige towers, even later Greek fire wielding units) and associated units were not completely implemented by default other than on the ramparts of forts or as a seige attribute of certain units. Though I do see that the Byzantium mod includes Greek fire as a combat spell. Perhaps the developers thought it too complicated or unnecessary due to the extensive magic system.

Sombre April 8th, 2010 01:15 PM

Siege weapons don't really work as units. It has been tried, but they throw up a lot of problems and weirdnesses.