.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Attack me dammit! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46087)

vyrago August 15th, 2010 11:35 PM

Attack me dammit!

I've noticed that when playing the AI, when i'm the defender in most cases the AI is amazingly poor at offensive operations. They often seem to just drive towards me while I shoot them to pieces.

any idea how I can make the AI a better attacker? what about things like country training? (ive never messed around with it)

Also, is there a difference in the way the AI 'fights' its mission? ie Assault vs Advance?

Wdll August 16th, 2010 01:08 AM

Re: Attack me dammit!

I have no idea about any of your questions, but I strongly suggest, if you haven't already, to play against other humans. I am willing to play with you if you want.

Imp August 16th, 2010 02:10 AM

Just my opinion but a map with few roads works better, the trouble is & I am not sure here the AI does tend to charge unless it is getting close to victory hexes, about 2 turns movement or less from them & vehicles will start unloading & move more cautiously.
Defending therefore if you are well in front of the victory hexes it never does this.
Placing them diffrently can help but needs real thought to make it work well.
example
A line of trees with VHs placed on the otherside the AI will unload & move to the trees on foot, of course if you are set up in the trees does not help it much.
Place a couple of flags further forward to trigger. Same with roads etc the odd flag on by the road will slow it.
As I said not sure about this its how I feel it works & the AI might decide to ignore the VHs go for flanks & sweep round so guessing where to place is tricky.
Also it does not like tricky terrain avoid maps with deep water & impassable terrain.

As Wdll said the only real option is a human or many many hours in the editor designing a battle.
This is simply due to the amount of factors you take into account when you play, probably though you dont realise it over a dozen each time you move a unit & thats impossible to program for. Its also why the game is intresting your brain is actually getting a bit of a work out.
Giving the AI the side with the better equipment is a work around esp if you need to get flank shots etc.
Also & I swear this is correct but it must be me one game in 3 or 4 the AI gets its act together & plays far better using combined arms attempting to flank found units etc.
If it starts the game that way seems to play that way through the entire game so the only thing I can think of is the map suites it.
Last thought map size makes a big diffrence
Width - the wider it is the more chance there is of fast units getting ahead of slower ones resulting in waves so very easy to deal with.
Depth - keep it sensible for the force size if you think you are spread out so is the AI most likely & its not good at moving units over to reinforce where needed. Again normally an easier job for you picking them off though on occasion it might decide to lump everything together a give you a nasty surprise.

iCaMpWiThAWP August 16th, 2010 09:41 AM

Actually, the AI will sometimes find a way to upset you, like moving through the trees and slapping you on the face.

rainchild33082 August 21st, 2010 06:29 PM

My last game the AI bamboozled me in A way I never would have thought.

3 victory clusters with my men well defending them

Had Armor defending the north, A mech squad in the middle, and an infantry squad to the south backed up with AT guns

The AI moved in under smoke, and just before launching an armored thrust into the middle, made an attack to my north using mech squads with AT inf.

they battered my southern forces with artillery before making A two pronged push into my southern flank!

It was all I could do to reposition everything to brace for the attacks. The northern attack was just A feint and switch attack. They got me pretty good, I ended up losing the fight