.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   routed units still fighting (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=22653)

tinkthank February 5th, 2005 05:04 AM

routed units still fighting

Have you also seen some units with a clear path to the back and who are *definately* not berserk (like indy HI, with no berserk icon) continue to fight long after the "The Independent armies have been routed" is up? I could swear they have a clear escape path, and yet they duke it out -- any clues as to why?

Arralen February 5th, 2005 06:47 AM

Re: routed units still fighting

Bodyguards, whoose commander
a) just left the battlefield. Those turn around and attack for some turns. (to cover his escape?)

b)is unconscious, so they defend him until he wakes up.

c)is dead, and they (the game engine..) doesn't know what to do with them. Haven't observed this, but I must admit that I didn't pay attention to such a detail. I'm satisfied if my troops slaughter their enemies...

NTJedi February 7th, 2005 05:34 PM

Also any mindless units will not retreat... they will stand still fighting enemies next to them. The mindless units will also randomly vanish since the fleeing commander is no longer controlling them.

Oversway February 7th, 2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

a) just left the battlefield. Those turn around and attack for some turns. (to cover his escape?)

I've seen this, as well.

Quote:

Also any mindless units will not retreat... they will stand still fighting enemies next to them. The mindless units will also randomly vanish since the fleeing commander is no longer controlling them.

Yeah, I think any undead or magical beings without a commander will still attack anything close to them as they dissolve. But I havn't seen them move to attack.

PvK February 7th, 2005 06:15 PM

I've seen some ordinary units turn and fight a few times, but I've not always understood why.

PvK

Fate September 10th, 2005 11:26 PM

This is a little off-topic, but how do you assign body-guards? Or are they automatic? I would liketo know how this works.

sushiboat September 11th, 2005 12:07 AM

Fate, press t for the tactical screen. To the right of each squad are the number of units in the squad and its battle orders. Click on the battle orders. Then select "Guard Commander."

Edi September 11th, 2005 08:06 AM

Sometimes what looks like a clear escape path isn't actually, it just seems that way due to how the units are placed in their squares. As long as there are enemy units in the square blocking heir path, no matter if it's a single hoburg or otehr size 1 unit, they will attack it until it's dead before they keep going.

Edi

Fate September 11th, 2005 12:06 PM

Thnk you very much, sishi boat. You could test the fighting routers, btw, by turning on the grid. i find it extremely helpful.

Wish September 11th, 2005 01:15 PM

it seems that some units do morale checks while they run as well, sometimes rallying and returning to combat