.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   MP Game - Newbie Game (by Aku) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=19729)

Aku July 24th, 2004 06:27 AM

MP Game - Newbie Game (by Aku)

This is for the 2nd game with the group from the JDScherrey newbie game and any other new players to dominions if everyone from the first game do not transfer over.

Ok Klatu will be hosting the game.

So far we have myself, Klatu, Drool, Pickles(maybe), Alexi(new person, can be our 8th spot since JDScherrey went MIA).

Still need to hear from Tannath, Boron, and Starwarsluke.

Need suggestions for settings and map. We can throw around suggestions for like the week and start this game next weekend.

The 24 hour quickhost we are doing now works good also.

Also here were my suggestions, pasted from the other thread.

for game settings...norfleet recommended when we started our current game to play karan...you guys want to give it a try?

if we play karan there were 3 files...do we dl them all?

also for events they happen like every turn on common but on rare they still happen a lot but it isnt bad...so i recommend the 2nd game for events to be on rare

also for magic sites...how about at least 50 this time?

indep strength i guess 6 or 9 i dunno, 7 indep like we have now just seemed odd

world richness...either normal or rich...no clue on that one

put hof on 15 and renaming allowed

these are just suggestions to get the ball rolling

for my nation i would like to try out abysia if tannath isnt using them again

Pickles July 24th, 2004 08:09 AM

Re: MP Game - Newbie Game (by Aku)

Ok Klatu will be hosting the game.

"The 24 hour quickhost we are doing now works good also. "

Agreed

"for game settings...norfleet recommended when we started our current game to play karan...you guys want to give it a try?"

Fine - I have now done a few karan games (well started them) & it is nice.

"if we play karan there were 3 files...do we dl them all?"

? Dunno. I will try to check

"also for events they happen like every turn on common but on rare they still happen a lot but it isnt bad...so I recommend the 2nd game for events to be on rare"

Means that the balance is different The trade off between luck/misfortune seems OK on common events therefore would be pro misfortune on uncommon ones.(expect me to take luck -3).
I do not think this is a good idea but can live with it.

"also for magic sites...how about at least 50 this time?"

50 gives A LOT more sites than 40 and even more than the 35 we have (I have not found any in that game). This effects balance too of course but probably not as much. I vote for 50 cos I like rainbow site hunters! (but not higher - try it SP & see)

"indep strength I guess 6 or 9 i dunno, 7 indep
like we have now just seemed odd"

I think at least 6 is a good rule so do not have an opinion. It once again might effect choice of nation. R'lyeh frex is less fun on 9 than 6 as it cannot cherry pick who to attack as easily as land powers.

"world richness...either normal or rich...no clue on that one"

Normal - I am rather conservative rich gives far more money and pickles the broken record says this messes up balance. Still I only fiddled with it one time & have no idea how it messes up balance so could live with it.

"put hof on 15 and renaming allowed"

Agreed

"for my nation I would like to try out abysia"

I will hold off until I see the set up - there are many I am happy to try.

Hm I do not seem to sound like a newby (like Boron http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif ). I have still not got much proper (post turn 20 MP experience) but still if this is a problem I will drop out.

Pickles

Aku July 24th, 2004 08:21 AM

No reason for you to drop out pickles. I am sure some of us have played a lot more sp than others. Main thing here is our mp experience. And if Tannath, Boron, and Starwarsluke play also then we have our 8 players with the new person Alexi. Will be the same group with one new person.

The events common/rare setting I do not care either way. Either setting is fine by me so I guess we will leave it to what the majority want it geared towards.

Indep strength I say to just put it at a 6.

For the magic sites I put a vote for 50.

For world richness lets just keep it on normal because it looks like all mp games keep it that way.

Everyone post your suggestions...nothing is set in stone.

[ July 24, 2004, 07:23: Message edited by: Aku ]

Lex July 24th, 2004 08:39 AM

i've only been playing single player (trying to get a feel for what race(s) I like), and I just noticed the indep strength was always at 3.. does that mean in MP games start off slower if we double that to 6? although i guess it gives more advantage to 'holding onto' your provinces, since you worked so hard to get them all.

Although I'm fairly indifferent to the settings. It comes down to "preferences", but you gotta have played the game alot before you developed any preference at all.

Aku July 24th, 2004 08:50 AM

Well having indep at like 6 you can sometimes use strong indeps as a layer from the enemy. Basically indep 3 is too much of a push over and don't attack on the first turn like you can do with indep 3 because you dont want a catastrophic defeat that hurts your early game.

I personally like higher indep strength because it makes it more fun because on indep 3 they may as well be empty provinces lol. It is like how Halo was a 100 times better and more fun on legendary mode than it was on the easier difficulties.

Pickles July 24th, 2004 09:15 AM

"i've only been playing single player (trying to get a feel for what race(s) I like), and I just noticed the indep strength was always at 3.. does that mean in MP games start off slower if we double that to 6? although i guess it gives more advantage to 'holding onto' your provinces, since you worked so hard to get them all."

SP is easier with higher indep strength (and a better game too). The AI has more difficulty taking down the provinces so it takes longer to turn into a dogfight. I would recommend you use 6+ indeps on SP. In MP everyone always use 6 plus indeps too so it is good practice.

I guess MP games do start off slower - first attacking turn 3 - 6 but it is ages since I used indeps less than 6 so I am used to that now.

Pickles

PS Aku you are in the US so are you like nocturnal or something?

[ July 24, 2004, 08:16: Message edited by: Pickles ]

Aikamun July 24th, 2004 10:29 AM

I would like to sign up if you have room for another newbie. Zero mp games under my belt. If I am included, would prefer default game settings and Indep 7.

Thank you,
Aikamun

Edit after player list posted: Looks like my request was ignored. Not my first bad experience trying to get into Dom2 MP (Bad Experiences 3; Good 0). I think I will stick to sp from now on, even if the AI is terrible. SP offers much more assured playing time. No hasta manana here.

[ July 24, 2004, 21:59: Message edited by: Aikamun ]

Aku July 24th, 2004 11:14 AM

Well I am more of a night person. I am always up at different hours all the time.

If everyone is ok with the map Karan isnt it a 8-10 player map from what I read? Aikamun we just need to get confirmation from 3 players to see if they are playing. If Karan is a 8-10 player map I am sure we can fit you in as a 9th.

Boron July 24th, 2004 12:35 PM

i of course participate http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Boron July 24th, 2004 12:38 PM

karan is nice
cradle of zen is a nice map too .
the 3rd one which comes to my mind is the inland map .
i would vote for karan too .

i would like to take pythium this time http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

PashaDawg July 24th, 2004 02:44 PM

Hi Guys:

Any way I can get into the game. I am very new (i.e., I have no idea what I am doing, except that I like it).

Are you playing one turn per day? (That's good for me. I need time to think. Ha.)

Aku July 24th, 2004 04:07 PM

PashaDawg we have to put you down for maybe right now. I need to know first how many players is good for Karan...I think I have read 8-10...can I get a confirmation? If Karan is good for 10 people then you would be the 10th spot.

I also need to get confirmation from starwarsluke and tannath if they are playing. Just need a yes or no right now from you guys...can pick a nation after we get settings decided on.

So far Boron wants Pythium, Klatu I know wants Man again, I would like to try Abysia but that is if Tannath isn't using it. And everyone else who has confirmed they are playing haven't picked a nation but some are waiting for settings to be posted first.

Lex July 24th, 2004 04:39 PM

hmm.. Aran has LESS provinces but is a 8-10 map.. but would be good to confirm anyways.

I've been practising SP with Caelum, so I'd like to play that if available..

Aku July 24th, 2004 05:02 PM

In our current game starwarsluke is caelum, havent confirmed yet if he wants to play this 2nd game and if he is then is he keeping caelum.

I just need confirmation from Tannath and Starwarsluke to move on with confirming nations.

Aku July 24th, 2004 06:04 PM

I sent a pm to Tannath and Starwarsluke to post in here about playing because now that I think about it Klatu can host for us anytime. So like if we are set with nations and players picked, settings all agreed, and pretenders uploaded we can start as soon as that is all done. I don't see a reason to wait until next weekend to start it if we can get ready in a few days.

Tannath July 24th, 2004 06:20 PM

I am playing 4 games and another is going to start tomorrow (the Battlefield tournament), it takes too much of my time if I play another game. Sorry. Good game.

The Panther July 24th, 2004 06:23 PM

Hey,

I am a newbie, never having played even one MP game as yet. Is there still some room in this newbie game? As for a nation, I don't know enough to pick one, so I will just take whatever is left over.

Cheers

Aku July 24th, 2004 06:41 PM

Ok no problem Tannath, there are always future games.

I am going to list who we have so far.

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pythium
Pickles - Undecided
Drool - I think Ulm(let me know on this)
Starwarsluke - No confirmation yet
Alexi - Caelum if luke doesnt play or keep caelum
PashaDawg - Undecided
Panther - Undecided

That is 9 players...8 if Starwarsluke drops. I say we keep this lineup and work on getting nations but need settings first before people want to choose nations. Here is my proposal.

Number of starting provinces: 1
Stength of Independents: 6
Special Site Frequency: 50
World Richness: Normal
Random Events: Common
Score Graphs: Disabled
Hall of Fame: 15
Standard Research
Standard Victory
Renaming is Allowed

24 hour Quickhost

Map is Karan

Link to Karan. (there were 3 links to click and that was only one that let me download, unzip it to your map folder)

http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom2/karan.zip

Also do not worry about it being first time in MP because everyone here is new to MP. Either this is their first game or they are in the middle of their first game.

If I get some approvals for the settings then consider it confirmed and pick your nations.

Alexi choose a secondary nation just in case starwarsluke is playing because he has caelum picked if he is playing.

[ July 24, 2004, 17:43: Message edited by: Aku ]

Aku July 24th, 2004 06:53 PM

I checked out the map of Karan just now it is 162 provinces with 20 being in the water. The water provinces were almost all connected so it is an option to play a water race if you like.

Our current Aran game has 7 people and thats like 106 or something provinces so if we got 1 nation as water I say we could have a 10 player game. We have 9 people already is starwarsluke plays and if everyone picks land nations then if a 10th person wants to join it has to be as water. If Luke drops then we have 2 open spots, you get the idea. And only opened for us newbie players. Newbie as in none or very little MP experience, having a lot of SP experience is no problem because players are different than AI. Main goal of this is to get used to how real people play like.

Pickles July 24th, 2004 07:00 PM

"Our current Aran game has 7 people and thats like 106 or something provinces so if we got 1 nation as water I say we could have a 10 player game."

Karan certainly works with 9 to 11 though, as I expect with any map, some starts are better than others.

"We have 9 people already is starwarsluke plays and if everyone picks land nations then if a 10th person wants to join it has to be as water. Main goal of this is to get used to how real people play like. "

I will put down for R'lyeh then but if someone else wants R'lyeh, or Atlantis for that matter, I am happy to switch. Man is first reserve but again I am not wedded to it.

Pickles

edited for changing his mind

[ July 24, 2004, 18:03: Message edited by: Pickles ]

Aku July 24th, 2004 07:09 PM

Klatu already has Man chosen, basically the only nation he has found that he likes.

Lex July 24th, 2004 07:31 PM

I'll try Vanheim.. gonna play a few SP with them in the next few days to try it out.

Got a question: if someone takes a water race, and nobody else invests in equipment or spells or themes to go in the water, does that mean the water race is guaranteed to stay alive the entire game without being attacked?

starwarsluke July 24th, 2004 08:04 PM

I would like to join. Could I be Caelum? Also could my brother perhaps play? He would like to play as Arcoscephale.

[ July 24, 2004, 19:31: Message edited by: starwarsluke ]

Aku July 24th, 2004 08:41 PM

sure luke...there goes our 10 players now...so no more additions...luke how should i label your brother?

starwarsluke confirmed for caelum

alexi confirmed for vanheim

Aku July 24th, 2004 09:03 PM

Our list of players

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pythium
Pickles - Ryleh?
Starwarsluke - Caelum
Lukes brother - ?
Alexi - Vanheim?
PashaDawg - Undecided
Panther - T'ien Ch'i

Alexi the answer to your question I suppose would be yeah as far as I know. Pickles are you staying with Ryleh? Alexi tell me if you change your mind about Vanheim.

Any objections to the game settings?

[ July 24, 2004, 22:24: Message edited by: Aku ]

The Panther July 24th, 2004 11:21 PM

I will take T'ien Ch'i. Thanks for the invitation. I have played a lot of SP against hard CPs so I do know the basics.

Pickles July 24th, 2004 11:34 PM

"Got a question: if someone takes a water race, and nobody else invests in equipment or spells or themes to go in the water, does that mean the water race is guaranteed to stay alive the entire game without being attacked?"

Yes if noone goes amphibious but its a big if as most nations can do it eventually. Water races have a distinct advantage of security in the early to mid game (& I have not played beyond this) but they have nasty indeps to deal with and awkward geography so seem reasonably balanced in my limited experience.

And Yes Aku I will stick with R'lyeh as noone
else seems to want to go aquatic.

Pickles

Aku July 25th, 2004 12:17 AM

Well the map Karan says 20 water provinces and I think you connect to all of them but 1 or 2 so you can get at least 18 provinces without stepping on land which is really nice.

Oh and Pickles just in case you havent used ryleh before use the priests not the mages to go in the summoning circle in the capital because they have a small chance of getting feebleminded.

We just actually need a few more confirmations of what nations people are using. Lets just use these settings (pasting from post below).

Standard Research
Standard Victory
Renaming is Allowed

24 hour Quickhost

Map is Karan

http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom2/karan.zip

Players:

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pythium
Pickles - Ryleh
Starwarsluke - Caelum
Lukes brother - ?
Alexi - Vanheim?
PashaDawg - Machaka
Panther - T'ien C'hi

I just need confirmation from Drool. I need nations for Lukes brother(and his name) and PashaDawg. Also Alexi just want to make sure you like Vanheim before I take the ? off.

[ July 25, 2004, 02:56: Message edited by: Aku ]

Pickles July 25th, 2004 12:59 AM

"Oh and Pickles just in case you havent used ryleh before use the priests not the mages to go in the summoning circle in the capital because they have a small chance of getting feebleminded."

Ha small chance my arse. I am playing R'lyeh in another game and I have so far spent 750 gold to get 100 gold worth of creatures.

Actually there is a small chance cos they usually get eaten by the summons before they go mad - though I have had both happen on the same turn.
It really is a stupid pointless and above all random task (not that this stops me)

On Karan you are connected to 18/19 of the wet provinces but they are still a long way from one another and in dead ends so it is hard to expand in an efficient manner.

Pickles

Aku July 25th, 2004 01:04 AM

I tried Ryleh once in SP and the mages have random picks I was able to get it to make the chalice to cure the feeblemind so i was getting high summons skills on my guys. Anyway I don't care for water too much. They are interesting but just not for me. But I did really like that summoning circle thing because it was unique to Ryleh.

The Panther July 25th, 2004 02:11 AM

I messed around with the void summoning thing quite a bit before I got the hang of it. Some things to consider:

1. Be DARN sure you put the right guy in there. Only one guy can go in safely, the starspawn priest (I think that is his name). NEVER EVER put your god in there, that is total disaster. Other mages (like your god) have something like a 50% chance to go stupid. This also means the void gate is useless to any race that wipes out R'lyeh sice they cannot recruit starspawn priests.

2. Go +3 luck to try and get good old Chithgul to join you early in the game. He almost never goes insane. Somewhere on this site, they say that Chithgul has only a 2% chance to go stupid each time he is successful or attacked. It is 5% per occurance (not per turn as uneventful turns do not count) for the regular priests.

3. Make sure you have five bodyguards early on for the summoner. Research up to the ritual of returning or some such nonsense like that. That way you are safe from most everything except a vastness or multiple GOs early on.

4. The void troops are the ONLY sacred troops that R'lyeh can get. That in itself makes it nearly imperative that you use the void gate.

The Last time I played R'lyeh against the comps, my very first starspawn priest made it to something like level 25 summoning skill on about turn 80 when the game ended without going insane. I got one vastness and a whole host of GOs. Although I got whipped bad when the ultra-powerful Ermor CPU invaded the water and utterly slaughtered me (hehe).

I did like R'lyeh as a race. In fact, if you want to swap with me Pickles, I will take R'lyeh. It does sound like this particular map ought to have a water race.

[ July 25, 2004, 01:16: Message edited by: The Panther ]

PashaDawg July 25th, 2004 03:47 AM

Hi Guys:

Thanks for letting me join in. I will play Machaka. I am pretty new at the game, so any nation is as good as another for me, and the spiders are GROOVY!

Let me know when you are starting. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Aku July 25th, 2004 03:58 AM

Well we can start as soon as everyone picks a pretender and then we will upload it to the host(to do that is just connecting to the host and selecting your nation).

I am hoping we get all the nations selected etc by Sunday and maybe start Monday or maybe Sunday night if things go smoothly.

I edited your nation of Machaka into the list of nations on the post below with all the info for the game.

[ July 25, 2004, 02:59: Message edited by: Aku ]

PashaDawg July 25th, 2004 04:03 AM

What are the computer-logistics for playing this MP game?

Is there a server I need to log onto, etc.?

(I realize I need to create my god pretender on my own computer, and I will do that tonight.)

Thanks. Looking forward to playing with you guys.

Aku July 25th, 2004 04:17 AM

Klatu is going to host the game for us on his computer. Basically when you load up dominions you click network, enter his ip, then his port number. Then it will say play the following nation...for you Machaka it will say so you click yes. Then it says blah blah blah has been uploaded then you can go do your turn. I think this is what you were asking.

When everybody selects a nation then Klatu will set up the server game and all of us will connect and select our nation...thats how you upload your pretender by selecting your nation. When all the players have done so then Klatu can start the game up and it will run on 24 hour quickhost. That means that if everybody does their turn it will host and if not it will host in 24 hours from the end of the Last turn. When you connect to the server it will say how many hours until next hosting.

I hope this helped. Any other questions just post and ask.

PashaDawg July 25th, 2004 04:28 AM

Thanks, Aku. That's what I needed to know.

drool July 25th, 2004 05:41 AM

did somebody pick tien-chi? if not, id like to be them. and also, are you absolutely sure about karan? i personally dislike it very much. could we play cradle instead?

Aku July 25th, 2004 05:51 AM

Current list is this:

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pythium
Pickles - Ryleh
Drool - (wants Tien Chi)
Starwarsluke - Caelum
Lukes brother - Arcoscephale
Alexi - Vanheim?
PashaDawg - Machaka
Panther - T'ien C'hi (wants Ryleh)

But Panther wants Ryleh from Pickles.
Drool wants Tien Chi from Panther.

I need feedback about the map. I know people have given feedback already but just one more time please since we have all the players decided upon now. I know a lot have picked nations because the map is Karan but if the majority wants cradle then we can switch, if not then we stick with Karan.

drool July 25th, 2004 09:03 AM

have any of you tryed middle earth map (downside of middle earth is that there is no water races allowed:()? it looks nice.

raise the indep level to 7-9 please.

if theres no chance to get tien-chi, ill play ulm BF again. even thou it has crappy mages..
but 50 magic site frequency should give everybody some amazon sorcerors and druids.

anything but karan goes to me.

[ July 25, 2004, 08:11: Message edited by: drool ]

Pickles July 25th, 2004 09:29 AM

Quoting Panther

"....Other mages (like your god) have something like a 50% chance to go stupid."

20% I believe but obviously far too high.
I calculate that a Priest has around 2% chance of surviving 80 turns not mad. Or 80 5%'s as I am not sure you roll each turn or each succcessful summon.

"Go +3 luck to try and get good old Chithgul "

Is this the only benefit of high luck do you know? (I heard it was good for void summons but was unsure how)

"Research up to the ritual of returning or some such nonsense like that. "

Aha that may be the trick to use - assuming the returning works. I have had my bodyguards eaten as well as the summoner - I seem to get things that are going to kill everything or that he can handle alone

"The void troops are the ONLY sacred troops that R'lyeh can get. That in itself makes it nearly imperative that you use the void gate."

I dunno that also means you need a decent bless. OTOH they have 0 upkeep which would be useful if I ever summoned any useful ones.(nothing to do with sacred)

"I did like R'lyeh as a race. In fact, if you want to swap with me Pickles, I will take R'lyeh. It does sound like this particular map ought to have a water race."

I do not want to swap but I am happy to play a different race (I want to try to do a better job with R'lyeh than I have done)

Pickles

And Aku the chalice is L8 and I have never come close to researching that with R'lyeh (plus it does not work if you are dead!)

[ July 25, 2004, 08:35: Message edited by: Pickles ]

Pickles July 25th, 2004 09:39 AM

"Pickles - Ryleh
Drool - (wants Tien Chi)
Panther - T'ien C'hi (wants Ryleh)"

OK it looks like it would help for me to not be R'lyeh so I will be Man.

(Edit oh bugger it's gone I will need to think then I will choose something by tomorrow)

"I know a lot have picked nations because the map is Karan but if the majority wants cradle then we can switch, if not then we stick with Karan"

Never played Cradle but do not care either way.
I am happy with any indeps from 6-9 if more than just Drool want higher.

Pickles

[ July 25, 2004, 08:44: Message edited by: Pickles ]

The Panther July 25th, 2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pickles:
Quoting Panther

"....Other mages (like your god) have something like a 50% chance to go stupid."

20% I believe but obviously far too high.
I calculate that a Priest has around 2% chance of surviving 80 turns not mad. Or 80 5%'s as I am not sure you roll each turn or each succcessful summon.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It sure seemed like 50% when I tried it without the priests before I knew what I was doing. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif This morning, I calculated that the chance of surviving 25 tries is 27.7% for the priest. This is about 80 turns since it seems like about a 1/3 chance to be successful or attacked. Obviously, I was lucky in my game mentioned below, but this is not overly excessive luck. This also means to me that the 5% likely ONLY counts when you are attacked or successful, as otherwise the probability for me would have been an extremely low 1.65%. The probablilty of Chithgul surviving these same 80 turns (25 tries) is a nice 60.3%.

Quote:

"Go +3 luck to try and get good old Chithgul "

Is this the only benefit of high luck do you know? (I heard it was good for void summons but was unsure how)
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I have no idea if luck helps the summoning or not. I have read that some people think so. Maybe it helps with the insane thing. Maybe that was why I got 'lucky' in my game??? I wonder if the developers even know? I did get Chithgul on about turn 10, but never needed him as my first priest did such a fine job in the void. At least Chithgul gave me a nice warm fuzzy knowing he was available as backup. Perhaps my priest knew Chithgul was waiting to supplant him so he was determined to do it right!

Quote:

"Research up to the ritual of returning or some such nonsense like that. "

Aha that may be the trick to use - assuming the returning works. I have had my bodyguards eaten as well as the summoner - I seem to get things that are going to kill everything or that he can handle alone

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">My son is currently playing R'lyeh in his first MP game, and he tested this ritual thing quite a bit. I guess there are two kinds, one from an artifact and one from a spell. If I end up with R'lyeh in this game, I am going to have to figure all this stuff out. Or just ask my son.

Quote:

"The void troops are the ONLY sacred troops that R'lyeh can get. That in itself makes it nearly imperative that you use the void gate."

I dunno that also means you need a decent bless. OTOH they have 0 upkeep which would be useful if I ever summoned any useful ones.(nothing to do with sacred)

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">For whatever reason, I like to have a priest or two in most of my battles. Maybe that is a waste of priests, but I found it very helpful when Ermor became very strong (which sure seemed to happen every game an Ermor comp was in).

Quote:

"I did like R'lyeh as a race. In fact, if you want to swap with me Pickles, I will take R'lyeh. It does sound like this particular map ought to have a water race."

I do not want to swap but I am happy to play a different race (I want to try to do a better job with R'lyeh than I have done)

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I do not care one way or the other. Being a total rank newbie, I expect that I suck with ANY race.

I did check out the map this morning. It looks cool. Certainly a water race will work, as long as it starts at the bottom of the map, which I assume would be typical. I simply don't care what race I use. So if you want R'lyeh and Drool wants T'ien Ch'i, I will take any other one that is still available.

One thing is certain: I am not the kind of guy who has to win to have fun. The game is fun in itself. So --- Let me know what you are going to do so I can make a pretender.

The Panther

Boron July 25th, 2004 02:34 PM

hm may i change my mind and play pangenea ?
if somebody else has chosen it already i stick with pythium but at least in the list pan seems to still be free http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Aku July 25th, 2004 07:39 PM

Boron - Pangaea is still free if you want to change your mind

Still need to figue out who is keeping what nation for Pickles, Drool, and Panther

This cradle map can someone post the link because someone said something about a fixed Version.

About indep strength I think majority want it at 6. Also the cradle map how is it for water races since we do have one playing?

Graeme Dice July 25th, 2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Panther:
This morning, I calculated that the chance of surviving 25 tries is 27.7% for the priest. This is about 80 turns since it seems like about a 1/3 chance to be successful or attacked.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">The check is made every turn, not every time an event occurs.

The Panther July 25th, 2004 08:33 PM

We might as well settle on the races if this game is ever going to start. I originally choose T'ien Ch'i on a random dice roll, so Drool can have it as I do not care in the slightest. Since I seem to be in the middle of this race picking thing, I will take Pythium and that will make everybody set on their races as follows:

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pangaea
Pickles - R'lyeh
Drool - T'ien Ch'i
Starwarsluke - Caelum
Lukes brother - Arcoscephale
Alexi - Vanheim
PashaDawg - Machaka
Panther - Pythium

As for the game settings, the only person to object to the map was Drool. Thus, it must be satisfactory for the majority and should stay as planned. If the pro Norfleet said it would be good for newbies, then who am I to doubt him? It also is good for a water race. The settings are thus:

Standard Research
Standard Victory
Renaming is Allowed

24 hour Quickhost

Map is Karan at the following URL:
Karan Map link

Now, all we need is to get an IP address and port number and we can load up our pretenders.

Cheers,

The Panther

Pickles July 25th, 2004 09:00 PM

OK good to go

Pickles

Aku July 25th, 2004 09:06 PM

I am talking to Klatu on the phone right now. He is getting it ready right now. This looks good to go give it like 5 minutes. I will post the ip and port number when it is up.

Aku July 25th, 2004 09:29 PM

Ok the server is up

ip: 24.90.74.183
port: 10275

Post in here when you have uploaded your pretender.

Abysia and Man are uploaded.

To upload just connect to the game and select your nation then you can exit it if you want because this may take a while for everyone to get around to uploading.

[ July 25, 2004, 20:59: Message edited by: Aku ]

Boron July 25th, 2004 10:09 PM

uploaded my pan pretender http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
@ the panther pythium is a good choice ihmo i like them http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
they are one of my top 5 nations but not nr.1 in terms of liking