.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Bug: My CD key isn't working (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49827)

SplendidTuesday June 19th, 2013 12:21 PM

My CD key isn't working

So I recently bought Dominions 3 off of GamersGate after not being able to play it for a year (long story short, I had had to reboot my computer and a short time before that I had lost the manual with the CD key), and I've figured out how to bypass the bug where the game refuses to load and says "config file not found" or something like that.

Now my problem is that the GamersGate CD key (they call it an activation code, if that means anything) provided does not work. How can I fix this? I noticed that the first string of numbers in the CD key is one number longer than the sample CD key. I'd like help in figuring this out.

Edi June 19th, 2013 12:44 PM

Re: My CD key isn't working

Run the game as admin the first time, then enter the key. The key you got is correct, Dominions 3 cd keys are not uniform (i.e. some of them have xxxx-123-abcde-1234 and others may start off with 3 digits and then have the rest of the groupings randomly). So pay no attention to the sample cd key.

SplendidTuesday June 19th, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 820787)
Run the game as admin the first time, then enter the key. The key you got is correct, Dominions 3 cd keys are not uniform (i.e. some of them have xxxx-123-abcde-1234 and others may start off with 3 digits and then have the rest of the groupings randomly). So pay no attention to the sample cd key.

I have tried the CD Key (I checked to make sure I'm putting the numbers in right), and I've run as administrator. Still doesn't work.

Edi June 20th, 2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SplendidTuesday (Post 820788)
Quote:

I have tried the CD Key (I checked to make sure I'm putting the numbers in right), and I've run as administrator. Still doesn't work.

Okay, then go into the Dominions 3 directory and the delete the file called key. Then restart the game as admin and see what it does.

For future reference, this place is no longer the official forum for Dominions 3, the official forum is at Desura. It is the better place to ask for help, since there are more people over there.

SplendidTuesday June 20th, 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 820794)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SplendidTuesday (Post 820788)
Quote:

Okay, then go into the Dominions 3 directory and the delete the file called key. Then restart the game as admin and see what it does.

For future reference, this place is no longer the official forum for Dominions 3, the official forum is at Desura. It is the better place to ask for help, since there are more people over there.

Looks like I got it to work; I think I kept accidentally putting one wrong number in and thought it was the right one. Thanks for your help!