.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Approaching Infinity (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Radiation squares (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50659)

Chris Steadman February 19th, 2015 08:15 AM

Radiation squares

Hi All

As you will know, there are often radiation squares that the Away Team encounter in caves and on shipwrecks. Sometimes these need to be navigated to get to all the goodies. My AT can progress one square, but never two and get bumped back when they try.

Is there a way of overcoming radiation squares, please? If there is I don't want to know what it is, just if there is a way or not. I've tried several ideas but all to no avail. I've not found a Space Suit that does it, nor a device to give to the AT. And I am pretty far into the game - Sector 120, four pages of devices (in crafting) and 100m Credits. Should I persevere?

I bet it is something obvious that is staring right at me :rolleyes:

ATB

Chris

ibol February 19th, 2015 09:44 AM

Re: Radiation squares

hi, my friend, I feel a little bad for this one...

I bet I know what the problem is. Are you clicking to move? Try using the arrow keys or number pad. Sounds to me like the auto-explore "feature" is taking over and saying "hey, that's dangerous, we shouldn't do it."

There is no "rad-resist" device, but maybe there should be, for those super-irradiated areas.

Chris Steadman February 19th, 2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibol (Post 828598)
hi, my friend, I feel a little bad for this one...

I bet I know what the problem is. Are you clicking to move? Try using the arrow keys or number pad. Sounds to me like the auto-explore "feature" is taking over and saying "hey, that's dangerous, we shouldn't do it."

There is no "rad-resist" device, but maybe there should be, for those super-irradiated areas.

D'oh! D'oh! D'OH! You'd have thought, especially after the amoeba scoop affair, I would have had that in the front of my mind. :rolleyes:

I've just tested it (can never find an irradiated square when I want one) and you are absolutely right. I shall put my new found knowledge to good use (not, use for good).

Dubious February 19th, 2015 09:01 PM

+1 to "Rad-Resist" device. And/Or perhaps a "haz mat cleanup" device that removes such hazards?

-Dubious-

ibol February 20th, 2015 05:52 PM

"that's not a bug, it's a feature" is a common programming expression.
It's even worse when my "feature" turns out to be a "bug"...
sorry.

Kazeto February 21st, 2015 06:18 PM

Hmm ... I wouldn't go as far as to call it a bug. If anything, it is an unforeseen consequence of having an anti-squad-killing feature and then giving the players incentive to explore places full of death. The discrepancy still is annoying to those who experience it, though, that is true.

That being said, I think that adding a switch that allows one to turn this feature off temporarily would be the best solution to this quandary.