.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps & Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2 new gods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=25556)

Grallon August 22nd, 2005 10:19 PM

2 new gods

1 Attachment(s)
Hello...

I've dabled with god creation and came up with these 2:

1) The Sublime Mystic (Bhudda - like figure)

intended for Tien Chi and/or Ashikaga

2) The Imperator (warrior type figure)

intended for use with the Empire of Llyyn Mod (which I've further edited to be the 'Empire of Amn' since I was mostly playing with the Faerun map.

-----

Both have their graphics modified from other graphics found in the Green Moon mod.

You can edit the Newgods mod (as I did) and insert the text in that file or create another separate one.

Try & see if you like.

Cheers !

G.

G.

Endoperez August 23rd, 2005 11:14 AM

Re: 2 new gods

Imperator attack and defence seem somewhat low, especially considering the armor he wears. I would give him something lighter, as the Full Plate of Ulm really slows down, encumbers and lowers defence. Also, consider giving him either reinvigoration or encumberance of 1, so that he wouldn't have as much problems with staying alive in combat. Because most of his abilities are useless unless he is on the battlefield, I would make him more clearly superhuman and lessen his abilities on people around him.
Also, if choosing him is really 100 points as it seems from the .dm file (#gcost 100), he is too expensive. 30 to 60 points would probably be enough.

The mystic can be blessed by his priests. Sacredness doesn't really work for pretenders. He is also immortal, has quite cheap paths, produces gems, heals troops, has very high Awe (+9! that's a lot), has a research bonus, is immune to lightning and flies. I would say that he is essentially Phoenix on steroids. Later in the game, he can Teleport anywhere where you have positive dominion to deliver Wrathful Skies with minimum equipment (Staff of Storms or one turn of vulnerability against mindless fliers. Flyers with morale less than 16 probably cannot hit him thanks to awe.) I suggest taking away some of the abilities. Restricting his movement would probably be enough, he could still Teleport/Cloud Trapeze but couldn't fly to new province every turn.

Turin August 23rd, 2005 11:16 AM

It would help if you would make the modfile into an actual working mod file, or directly combined it with your other newgods mod.

And looking at them they both seem pretty badly designed. The Sublime mystic is totally overpowered with immortality flying, dom5 2 lvl 3 magic starting paths and all the other goodies it gets.
The imperator on the other hand seems to be totally useless, although I donīt know how well he fits into that mod.

Endoperez August 23rd, 2005 02:15 PM

Ouch, I had missed that the Sublime Mystic had so high magic levels. Immortal rainbow mage still sounds like an interesting idea.

Grallon August 23rd, 2005 04:04 PM

Quote:

Turin said:
It would help if you would make the modfile into an actual working mod file, or directly combined it with your other newgods mod.

And looking at them they both seem pretty badly designed. The Sublime mystic is totally overpowered with immortality flying, dom5 2 lvl 3 magic starting paths and all the other goodies it gets.
The imperator on the other hand seems to be totally useless, although I donīt know how well he fits into that mod.

You're given to constructive criticism I see...

Regarding the Mod file - the idea here is to cut 7 paste into the existing 'newgods' mod ...

Regarding the design itself I was more interested in realism than game mechanics since I rarelly play beyond 100 turns.

Anyhow Thanks Entropez, *your* input was worthwile.

G.

Endoperez August 23rd, 2005 05:38 PM

It is easy to copy&paste, but still little extra work. That's why Turin said it to be *easier* if you released a proper mod file.

It is quite hard to achieve "realism" in a fantasy game, but I thought you tried to make a pretender from an idea you had, without considering the gameplay much.

My suggestions for what seem to be the ideas behind the pretenders:
The Warrior: he should be quite cheap, with high-ish cost for new paths (30-50) so that he can have few paths, but not many. He has low starting hits so he is fraqile, and he isn't very good fighter on his own. Maybe you should give him slight regeneration (more to keep afflictions away than to help him in fight) and take away a slot, probably misc but some other might work too. Explain it as a relic that only the leader of Amn is allowed to use.
It is hard to make a weak combat pretender that is useful, because weak combat pretender probably dies.

The Enlightened Monk:
He could have higher-than-normal (for humans) starting dominion as he embodies the perfection many Eastern religions try to achieve (although my memory is hazy on details). 3 is the highest existing one, with possible exception of 4 for Oracle. But you should make sure he can't be easily abused as a super-combatant. And he has probably too many abilities to have much magic and still be reasonably priced. He probably isn't worth it for just the abilities, so some should be taken away. You could also give him a combinations of magic paths that suit Tien Chi well, and make starting in other paths from moderately to very expensive (30 to 50 points). This way, he would be a half-rainbow who could summon any of Tien Chi's starting units and have some combinations generic mages of Tien Chi won't have (F2W2 for rune smashers etc), but not adding new paths.

And some facts: human pretenders have low magic skills, and low starting dominion but have cheap magic paths. Bigger pretenders have more dominion and higher levels of magic, but new paths become more expensive. Generally the pretenders who are closely attuned to spesific magic (Titan-Air, Medusa-Earth&Nature, Phoenix-Air&Fire) have 2 or 3 in those paths, but very high cost for new paths. Flying and Immortality is a very good combination, and should be avoided without severe penalties.