.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Scenario: WW3: Dutch at the storm (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51398)

SaS TrooP October 31st, 2016 09:44 AM

WW3: Dutch at the storm

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again!

Got more time recently so I made (or I am making) a couple of scenarios. I will hopefully make short series of these, as well as I will try to release new "Showdown: America" and "Oil Crisis Spreads" scenarios (I hope you know what I am referring to :P)

In "World War 3" series I will take a look at possible Russian 2020 invasion of Europe. Europe is currently ill-prepared for any kind of war, what could give Russians an edge if they will keep upgrading as they do. Many of those scenarios will have special victory conditions relying on casualties you take.

And all of them will involve only real life units recreated after as detailed OOBs as I can.

First one to go: only Dutch mechanized brigade versus typical Russian Mech Brigade as of now. Try it. Give them hell. But do not take it yourself, as you cannot take losses exceeding 18000 points ^^

And let me know how it went.

PS: Map is obviously stolen from custom maps available in game.

shahadi November 1st, 2016 01:06 AM

Re: WW3: Dutch at the storm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaS TrooP (Post 835875)
Hello again!

Got more time recently so I made (or I am making) a couple of scenarios. I will hopefully make short series of these, as well as I will try to release new "Showdown: America" and "Oil Crisis Spreads" scenarios (I hope you know what I am referring to :P)

In "World War 3" series I will take a look at possible Russian 2020 invasion of Europe. Europe is currently ill-prepared for any kind of war, what could give Russians an edge if they will keep upgrading as they do. Many of those scenarios will have special victory conditions relying on casualties you take.

And all of them will involve only real life units recreated after as detailed OOBs as I can.

First one to go: only Dutch mechanized brigade versus typical Russian Mech Brigade as of now. Try it. Give them hell. But do not take it yourself, as you cannot take losses exceeding 18000 points ^^

I could not open the 7z file and I'm not feeling anxious to add another zip/rar clone either. Just give us something easy that windows can open or just a plain Jane zip file.

=====

SaS TrooP November 1st, 2016 08:11 AM

Updated to .zip package in the first post ;)

shahadi November 1st, 2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaS TrooP (Post 835903)
Updated to .zip package in the first post ;)

Thanks!

=====

Oche November 3rd, 2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaS TrooP (Post 835875)
Hello again!

This is both inspiring and motivating for us scenario designers to see further interest in scenario building, thanks for both this announcement and your WINSPWW2. Congrats! keep it up! :up::fire::fire::fire:

shahadi November 5th, 2016 05:53 PM

This is a BIG scenario with two brigades slugging it out. Normally, we'd pit an assaulting brigade against a battalion (try to keep it at 3:1.)

I have spent the last two nights reviewing the Dutch side and have decided to range and filter my ATGMs and scouts along with their vehicles.

It would have been nice to add battalion command structure to the Dutch side, but all is well. And, a spotting run would be nice in the opening turn as well.

I'm thinking to move my scouts forward under cover of trees to setup OPs (with the weapons inactive.) But, only if I can do so within a few turns.

Also, I'm moving a few ATGMs forward as their current location is boxed in by trees within 300m...not enough distance to get off a good shot.

I normally do not play such large scenarios, but I'll give it a go.

=====

SaS TrooP November 6th, 2016 04:36 PM

I know that brigade defending has huge chances against brigade attacking due to non-existent numerological superiority. But as it is mentioned in the scenario, watch your losses. Battle will be over for you if Russia reaches 18k points. We all know you will stop them. But we do not know how far they will make it ;)

RetLT November 7th, 2016 12:44 AM

Fun scenario with a few surprises thrown in. I managed a MV without exceeding the 18k threshold but it was difficult due to the Russian air and helo units.

Russian AAA was much more effective than mine and I lost a few planes after I forgot to change their direction of attack.

I may try as the Russian side just to see if I can get a 2:1.

Aeraaa December 28th, 2016 06:23 PM

Turns 1-5 were quite action packed, with Russians advancing towards the first line of defense composed of recon elements reinforced by Spike ATGMs and Leo-2A7s. The AT elements took out a significant number of Kurganets IFVs as well as a handful of T72B2s, and Pzh-2000s helped with slowing down the advance. Aircraft from both sides also appeared and I managed to shoot down one MiG-29 and 1 Su-25, while the Russians damaged several F-16s and an F-35. My ground casualties were around 6 Spike ATGMs, several APCs, 3 ammo carriers and a Leo-2A7 (killed by a tank launched ATGM that hit it to the turret side).

Turn 6-10. Russian assault intensifies. Kempen is captured and the small recon detachment defending it is more or less eliminated. Spetznaz attack from the flanks and rear, diverting combat elements to contain them. More Leos are knocked out thanks to Russian attack helicopters and flanking tank fire, bringing the total number of tanks lost to 6. Russian lost 2-3 times that number of T72s. Counterbattery fire from Pzh-2000s has neutralized a significant number of artillery and AA. Russian armor and infantry has entered the urban areas of Neuenkirchen and Delmsen and fierce fighting begun.

Turns 11-15. Russians captured the northern part of Delmsen and the eastern part of Neuerkirchen, but the remaining defenders resist fiercely on the remaining parts. The damn helos are a total pain and they claim 2 more Leos. Thankfully I shot down one Mi-28 and drove away 2 more. My Apaches arrive as well. Counterbattery remains effective, though I’m short on cluster munitions now.

Turns 16-20. The Russian offensive finally looks to stall. Only a few artillery units remain operational on the Russian side. Russian infantry assaults Neuerkirchen but, without many vehicles they cannot do much.

Turns 21-30.Not much is done, save from some very unfortunate counter bttery fire from two alive MSTAs with cluster munitions that decimated my Pzh-2000s (7 destroyed).

Turns 31-40. I sent the Apaches for some arty hunting and they are quite successful. Apart from that, little happens. Game ends, but I cross the limit for casualties as you can see from the screen. Lost 9 tanks in total for 38 Russian ones. In general what caused the most casualties to me were the Russian helos and artillery. Tanks and infantry didn’t do much.

https://s6.postimg.org/jz4yel8q9/pic1.jpg

SaS TrooP December 29th, 2016 11:05 AM

I would thank for that post if only I knew how to do it :P

As of 21k points you lost, it seems that you may have been too reckless with aircraft (but I lost 2 Apaches during test run) and maybe you did not evac significant number of Spikes of Huzaren Recon Company. These are worth heavy money and got quick moving Fenneks to evac them quickly.

You've managed to shot down nice amount of Russian helos though. Their armour is insane.

Check out the second one.
I will be back from holidays in early January and start working on new one. We will be shifting a bit to the east for 2-3 scenarios.

Aeraaa December 29th, 2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaS TrooP (Post 836438)
I would thank for that post if only I knew how to do it :P

As of 21k points you lost, it seems that you may have been too reckless with aircraft (but I lost 2 Apaches during test run) and maybe you did not evac significant number of Spikes of Huzaren Recon Company. These are worth heavy money and got quick moving Fenneks to evac them quickly.

You've managed to shot down nice amount of Russian helos though. Their armour is insane.

Check out the second one.
I will be back from holidays in early January and start working on new one. We will be shifting a bit to the east for 2-3 scenarios.

There is a thumps up button in the lower right corner that does the trick. ;)

In general, I think I was waaay too static. And yes, after I lost about 10 Spikes did I realise that they actually are quite expensive and I shouldn't let them on the frontlines. I was mostly worried about the tanks, SAMs and planes and I didn't notice that even the humble Fennec is also around 100 points. That's the problem with expensive armies.

About the helos I'll just say this: after I took care of most of the tanks, I used the ATGMs of AT teams and my Apaches when they arrived as an ad hoc AA missile. They actually have a greatest chance to shoot down a helo than say a Stinger, since the latter can be intercepted by ECM, while the ATGMs cannot. I'm sure this isn't very realistic or doctrinal but oh well...

I'm actually trying the second scenario now, will post the result when I finish. And looking forward for more scenarios! :)