.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Other games you've played that you like (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51372)

Felix Nephthys October 8th, 2016 11:36 PM

Other games you've played that you like

Has anyone on here that plays WinSPMBT ever played Wargame Red Dragon and what are your views on it compared to Steel Panthers?

Video links to gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdNv6Pi2tLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKYh1B9uSo

Suhiir October 9th, 2016 06:02 PM

Re: Other games you've played that you like

Seen it ... I have had similar games and all lack a couple major components SPMBT has in spades. Scenarios and replay-ability.
Buy it, play it once, put it on a shelf to collect dust.

towtow59 October 10th, 2016 01:22 PM

I've got the first game in the series, it's fun, but much of the replay-ability is in the multiplayer.

Wdll October 19th, 2016 06:49 AM

I played the base game and european escalation or something, which was its first dlc. Good fun game which I played many hours, but my problem with it and other similar games, I can't stand real time strategy games which require micro-management for long. I have no problem with say the C&C series because they are more "lite".
I haven't played Red Dragon in particular, but it does look sweet.

Oche October 19th, 2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suhiir (Post 835659)
Seen it ... I have had similar games and all lack a couple major components SPMBT has in spades. Scenarios and replay-ability.
Buy it, play it once, put it on a shelf to collect dust.

Hear, hear to that Suhiir, well said...On another note, i'd say that if you prefer turn based tactical/strategy modern warfare wargames to real time based wargames (but also like some aspects of real time wargames) you should definitely look into the Combat Mission series such as Combat Mission: Shock Force & Combat Mission: Black Sea. :fire:

kselander November 21st, 2016 11:17 PM

I have played Red Dragon but I consider it more of an RTS than a serious sim. It is more "sim" than most RTS games but not any where close to Steel Panthers.

As Oche suggested you should really look into the Combat Mission series by Battelfront.com and I would also suggest the Campaign Series by Matrix Games/Slitherine.

IronDuke99 November 22nd, 2016 10:27 PM

The other games I like are Total War Napoleon, and, to a lesser extent, Rome 2 and Atilla by Creative Assembly. Napoleon TW (especially with Darth Mod) has a nice balance between musket armed infantry, muzzle loading artillery and cavalry, and you can play the Peninsular War as Wellington and his British Army (with Portuguese, Kings German Legion and Spanish allies) liberates Portugal and Spain and goes on to invade Southern France. Naval warfare 'aint bad in Napoleon too.

I am very much hoping their next Historical Total War game -after the warhammer fantasy nonsense- will be Victorian 19th Century with a full world map.

kselander November 22nd, 2016 11:17 PM

I didn't list all the Total War games since they are RTS (More or less) and this is a turn based wargame. That said I have every Total War and rank them extremely high on my "great" list. If a turn based fan of Steel Panthers will agree is debatable. I do hope they would approach it with an open mind.

P.S. Next Total War.... An era they haven't covered yet is the official word. My guess is China but who knows. I don't see the engine working well post Empire area.

geoff November 22nd, 2016 11:55 PM

I started way back with tabletop miniatures (and so WinSPMBT really hits the spot for me). I played Combat Mission for a while, but I understand it doesn't go well with windows 10. Currently I am playing Wargame European Escalation.

I agree with you about the Total War series, especially the way you have the map where you move your units and then you get to go to the detail screen to resolve the battles yourself.

IronDuke99 November 22nd, 2016 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kselander (Post 836163)
I didn't list all the Total War games since they are RTS (More or less) and this is a turn based wargame. That said I have every Total War and rank them extremely high on my "great" list. If a turn based fan of Steel Panthers will agree is debatable. I do hope they would approach it with an open mind.

P.S. Next Total War.... An era they haven't covered yet is the official word. My guess is China but who knows. I don't see the engine working well post Empire area.

I very much doubt China would have much interest outside China. Napoleon (post Empire) works very well. the CA, Total War 'Warscape' engine struggles a bit with hand to hand combat, not shooting.