.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47126)

Sgt_Walrus March 7th, 2011 08:15 PM

Re: Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs

Oh...I forgot to add that I also have played quite a few Spanish Civil War PBEM over time.
It would be a shame to lose anything from those very intense OOBs.
It was, after all, quite an important conflict for many reasons.

Thanks as always for your excellent work chaps :you:

troopie March 7th, 2011 11:06 PM

I use the Green for South Africa, I've used the Blue for my old Atlantis orbat. I started a Turkey orbat in Red, but gave it up because I couldn't find anything in a language I could read. Currently I use red for a generic guerrilla/irregular warfare orbat.

troopie

DRG March 8th, 2011 09:33 PM

Do you have a completed SA OOB?

Don

wulfir March 9th, 2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 772559)
OK.. how many people actually play infantry heavy games ?? ( seriously. if you like to PBEM or solo mainly infantry.. let us know )

I do.

In PBEM I like to buy 'realistic' forces, and have played several games with combinations of infantry/artillery/cavalry - particulary as Poland 1939 (bit of a favourite of mine) - in those games for the most part my opponents have brought an enitre Panzer Divisions allotment of Panzer IV tanks and something like Germany's entire 1939 fleet of Sdkfz 251 halftracks to the show.

Expensive tanks and half-tracks can however become a liability as you will be outnumbered by cheap leg units. An important drawback with leg infantry on big maps is the number of turns in your typical PBEM game might not be enough to both battle a mech force and advance (assuming it is a meeting engagement).

troopie March 9th, 2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 772791)
Do you have a completed SA OOB?

Don

I use the one posted here. After it was officially posted that South Africa would not have an OOB in WinSpww2, I decided to step up and make my own. If you like, I will go over it and make corrections.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+African+Orbat

troopie

DRG March 10th, 2011 12:22 AM

Let's get this next release out of the way first then we'll take a look at it

Don

TonyE April 10th, 2011 12:40 PM

Personaly i find red/blue/green to be one of the most usefull features of the game.
I have used them all the time since i was member of the SPCamo Workshop years ago and up until now (sadly we lost yellow along the way).

I find them great for fictional non-national OBs and as placeholders for national OBs are not included in the game.
Currently me and a friend are prepearing for a looong red-blue (totally modded OBs) team pbem campaign using a mixture of semi-table top strategic maps for moving units around and fighting our battles in the SP-game. Tried and tested before, it works.

I have to say though that i never use these OBs as they come straight with the game, i always use them for brand new modded work.

For me, if space is a premium and it is not possible to add more countries other than by replacing these three, then i would rather retain red/ble/green and have that feature than to add some additional commonwealth clone OBs (no offence to any Kiwis or South Africans)that don`t really add that much more to the game.
The modability has always been one of Steel Panthers strongest features and these non-national OBs really add icing to this "cake".

Skirmisher April 10th, 2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyE (Post 775402)

I have to say though that i never use these OBs as they come straight with the game.

I'm exacly the opposite,I never use modded stuff anymore.

Lot's of work goes into refining the standard OOB's.

TonyE April 10th, 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skirmisher (Post 775403)
Quote:

I have to say though that i never use these OBs as they come straight with the game.

Just to clearify, in this case i was refering only to red/blue/green, not the other national OBs of the game.

iCaMpWiThAWP April 10th, 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyE (Post 775406)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skirmisher (Post 775403)
Quote:

Just to clearify, in this case i was refering only to red/blue/green, not the other national OBs of the game.

Once in a while i build a wunderunit and test it's effect in those oobs(super-heavy armor, ultraguns...)