.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Bug ? Hallucinations ? Insanity ? wtf? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=38621)

coobe May 2nd, 2008 05:42 PM

Bug ? Hallucinations ? Insanity ? wtf?

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone plz explain me the attached savegame ? It is from our recent blitz and in the 1st battle i win and kill Atuls god but then the map..... PS: i was Yomi

atul May 2nd, 2008 05:56 PM

Re: Bug ? Hallucinations ? Insanity ? wtf?

Obviously it's the historical imperative in action. I must win, therefore my pretender could not have died.

More seriously, something's amiss. Usually this kind of behaviour has been due to different OS's for server and client, but now it was Coobe who was hosting. He and I both witnessed my pretender dying...

coobe May 3rd, 2008 07:02 AM

maybe i should post this in the bug thread ?

NTJedi May 3rd, 2008 07:15 AM

This old bug has been around since the days of Dominions_2. Basically the battle results are different than the end map result.

I experienced it recently during the first DOM_3 SC arena competition where the battle shows my SC easily survived and killed the opponent SC yet results had both killed. A second DOM_3 SC arena competition was then arranged as a workaround.

Check the existing Bug Thread Shortlist Sticky at the top of the forum to verify the bug hasn't already been posted. If it's not in the Bug Thread Shortlist Sticky than post it in the bug thread and toss Edi a message.

Endoperez May 3rd, 2008 07:29 AM

The battle movies aren't recorded; instead, the battle is recalculated from the same random numbers every time you view it. If for any reason the random numbers don't match or the battle is replayed differently, the movie will play differently. What happens to your units is based on what happened when the host went through the battle, of course.

One instance of this bug only appeared with spesific spells and different operating systems, playing with mismatched versions of the game can cause this, etc etc. It can be hard to catch the reason with just the turn files from AFTER it has happened; if you happen to have the previous turn (.trn or even fthrlnd and .2h) somewhere, I suggest posting that as well. And yes, you should report it in the bug thread, but while the general cause is known it's hard to know what, exactly, causes this bug in any spesific case.

NTJedi May 3rd, 2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Endoperez said:
What happens to your units is based on what happened when the host went through the battle, of course.

I play MP games via hotseat(only_1_physical_computer) and have seen the battle results displayed were different than the end map result.

Endoperez May 3rd, 2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

NTJedi said:
Quote:

Endoperez said:
What happens to your units is based on what happened when the host went through the battle, of course.

I play MP games via hotseat(only_1_physical_computer) and have seen the battle results displayed were different than the end map result.

Did it happen after patching the game? That's the only time I have heard of it happening in SP.

sector24 May 3rd, 2008 10:16 AM

It happens in singleplayer occasionally. Makes it really hard to pin down.

Endoperez May 3rd, 2008 11:31 AM

First time O've heard that. Wow, that's a nasty bug, I hope it's very rare then.

NTJedi May 3rd, 2008 12:50 PM

Did not happen after patching or between patchings.

It's a very rare bug, but it's definitely a nasty one. This is one of those scenarios where reloading a saved game directly before hosting would be justified, yet players should not make any game changes.

I've had it happen to prophets and SCs... once my prophet was shown as killed in battle, which made me a sad panda, yet while working my next turn I found him alive as if he retreated to a friendly province.