.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   ATGM accuracy (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50646)

vyrago February 11th, 2015 11:41 PM

ATGM accuracy

does anyone else feel that across the board, ATGMs are horribly inaccurate? especially current generation: Javelin, Hellfire, Kornet etc.

example from recent battle:

16 Javelins fired
4 hits
2 kills

gingertanker February 12th, 2015 12:56 AM

Re: ATGM accuracy

Actually if anything I always felt that the more modern ones are horribly accurate. 2 weeks ago 6 Kornets were fired at an IDF unit on the Lebanese border. 2 hit...In combat conditions ATGM crews miss alot more than you would expect.

jivemi February 12th, 2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingertanker (Post 828436)
Actually if anything I always felt that the more modern ones are horribly accurate. 2 weeks ago 6 Kornets were fired at an IDF unit on the Lebanese border. 2 hit...In combat conditions ATGM crews miss alot more than you would expect.

Did you mean to write "horribly INaccurate" in your first sentence? Otherwise it seems the last sentence contradicts the first. Thanks.

vyrago February 13th, 2015 12:22 PM

I think he means that in the game, he finds ATGMs too accurate. He makes the point that IRL they are sometimes not.

While SPMBT takes suppression into account, I feel that an un-suppressed missile unit with decent troop value (above 70) should manage a fairly high hit ratio against a target in the open.

obviously lower unit training, suppression, target movement and cover should reduce that hit-ratio. But in SPMBT i've seen some seemingly 'easy' shots only get about 35% to hit. Just seems a little low for fire-and-forget type missiles.

gingertanker February 13th, 2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyrago (Post 828477)
I think he means that in the game, he finds ATGMs too accurate. He makes the point that IRL they are sometimes not

That was exactly my point.

Suhiir February 13th, 2015 07:43 PM

For my part I don't mind the effective accuracy at all, seems to wind up being around 25-50% (not including the more-or-less auto-miss for VIRSS equipped targets).

However it seems that about half (or perhaps a bit more) the time even when an ATGM hits it fails to destroy the target.

This combined with the effective accuracy and low number (i.e. ammo) carried by infantry ATGM units means much of the time inf ATGMs only manage 1 kill per scenario.

shahadi February 14th, 2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyrago (Post 828434)
does anyone else feel that across the board, ATGMs are horribly inaccurate? especially current generation: Javelin, Hellfire, Kornet etc.

example from recent battle:

16 Javelins fired
4 hits
2 kills

Honestly, that is not enough information.. what are the sides involved, weather, condition of the ATGM teams and the what were the targets, etc., etc.

Anyway, what I've found is that with very good placement of the ATGM teams, in overwatch if you will, I rely on Opportunity fire to get the kills. Keep their suppression low, filter them, and place them in good FP's on the battlefield. And putting a sniper team in the vicinity of the ATGMs is like putting icing on the cake.

-----

scorpio_rocks February 14th, 2015 06:41 AM

On a slightly different, but related topic: Is it time the game could model more than 2 "shots" of countermeasures? (Is this even possible?)

Many modern systems are effective more than twice or carry reloads.

shahadi February 14th, 2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 828490)
On a slightly different, but related topic: Is it time the game could model more than 2 "shots" of countermeasures? (Is this even possible?)

Many modern systems are effective more than twice or carry reloads.

I'm not sure. Please give an illustration. Are we talking ATGM team reloads, what exactly are the "2 shots of countermeasures?"

-------

scorpio_rocks February 14th, 2015 02:39 PM

I was talking about armoured vehicles' "anti-anti-tank" countermeasures - VIRSS or CIWS in game.
Systems like Arena, Iron Curtain, Zaslon, Trophy, etc.

These systems are becoming more sophisticated, cheaper and lighter almost daily and some carry reloads (ie Trophy) or are good for multiple "shots" (ie Iron Curtain). Currently, in game, protected vehicles can only defend against 1 or 2 attacks.

What I was asking (or trying to) is whether the game needs to model these systems in more detail than they are currently, whether it would be possible to add to the number of "shots" available and whether this is indeed linked to percieved ATGM accuracy.

In Gingertanker's example I would be interested to know how many of the 4 Kornets that "missed" were countered by Trophy / Iron Fist / Windbreaker?