.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Minimum dominion? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39365)

Tyrant June 19th, 2008 10:04 PM

Minimum dominion?

What's the minimum start dominion you would use in a "normal" MP game?

For me it's 7 with an awake or napping pretender and 8 for a sleeping one. This seems to be generally ok, but I have been candle killed once and once a barely managed to stave it off and die a proper death in battle another time.

I suspect that are some who go lower, but i'm not sure.

DonCorazon June 19th, 2008 10:27 PM

Re: Minimum dominion?

I go as low as 5, never have come close to having issues.

Micah June 19th, 2008 10:43 PM

I took 5 with an imprisoned bless chassis in RAND, it was pretty tight and took a lot of priest MM (I built a fortless temple to buy indie priests from to preach for scales) but it worked out. A nice benefit from the priest building was being able to dom-kill mictlan when his last army of nasty double blessed jags was running amok around my provinces, since I had a lot of targeted dominion spread. I'd probably try to find some points elsewhere to have a bit more if I did it again, and wouldn't go under it, but I'd say it proves that 5 isn't under a minimum.

Cerlin June 19th, 2008 11:43 PM

6 is my personal minimum in MP, Especially I will go this low If I have cheap temples and/or Preachers. Unless Im losing a war and my enemy has high dominion. I have never ran into both those factors.

Atreidi June 20th, 2008 01:42 AM

I think 5 is low http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif However, I've never played MP so I dont know any better. I usually play with 10. I rarely use bless strats. I tend to stick to the basics and win by dominion. This works great on HUGE maps.

JimMorrison June 20th, 2008 02:03 AM

Anything below 6 is "low". Can you be successful with what you might consider low starting dominion? Of course you can, but at 6 is the point that I notice that building and managing your dominion simplifies itself a bit. Around 8+ is where it gets quite easy. Easy domain spread is nice, but for example if you are using a rainbow mage or other Dom1 base pretender, getting above 6 costs a LOT of points for what you get. Also, high dom isn't always needed for a bless nation, taking Hinnom as an extreme example, it's hard to get the right bless with Hinnom, and get everything else the way you want it, and still put out more than 5 sacreds a turn - ever.

Generally, 99.9% of the time, if you are in any danger of a dom kill you are already being crushed. Say you own just 10 provinces, and only have 5 temples, clustered around your capital..... With a prophet and your pretender out, you are at an infinitesimally low risk of dom death. The game is engineered that way for a reason.....

Hadrian_II June 20th, 2008 04:17 AM

I played lots of games with a dominion of 4 or 5, and i never ever had problems with being dom killed.

Lingchih June 20th, 2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Hadrian_II said:
I played lots of games with a dominion of 4 or 5, and i never ever had problems with being dom killed.

LOL

Folket June 20th, 2008 07:14 AM

Any dominion scale works for me. Unless I need dominion for something else I only drop the last point in it. I have played with dominion 1 and did not have problem to keep my dominion up.

llamabeast June 20th, 2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Think I've gone that low before as well, and never had any issues.