.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Scenario: Scenario Files (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51470)

shahadi January 23rd, 2017 05:32 AM

Scenario Files

Admittedly, I feel I should know the answer already, but I'm going to let it fly here: what is the purpose of the .dat and the .cmt scenario files. Further, what data is contained in the two files.

Additionally, what data is contained in the campaign .dat files?

=====

Mobhack January 23rd, 2017 12:20 PM

Re: Scenario Files

The dat and CMT go together to make a save game or scenario etc. The CMT has the save game name in it, and as its a small file it is easier to iterate through for the save game/scenario names on user listings on the selection buttons. Its not a user-editable text file, attempts to manually edit the save file name can mess things up.

User campaign dat files hold scenarios, victory conditions, branch tables etc.

End users do not need to know the internal file details. use the supplied editors to do any editing required, or re-save a save game with a different name etc.

NB - for save games, if you do NOT specify a name, the CMT remains in a "blank" state - the game then saves the game with progressive turn number and the opponents shortened names if you saved it to a blank slot originally. The second you add a character - e.g. inadvertently hitting the keyboard - then it has a "proper" name and the incrementing will cease and the name will be frozen. To fix that, save a non-secure PBEM or other save into a new blank save slot and continue. Secure PBEM must use the same save slot.

cheers
Andy

shahadi February 21st, 2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 836776)
The dat and CMT go together to make a save game or scenario etc. The CMT has the save game name in it, and as its a small file it is easier to iterate through for the save game/scenario names on user listings on the selection buttons. Its not a user-editable text file, attempts to manually edit the save file name can mess things up.

User campaign dat files hold scenarios, victory conditions, branch tables etc.

End users do not need to know the internal file details. use the supplied editors to do any editing required, or re-save a save game with a different name etc.

NB - for save games, if you do NOT specify a name, the CMT remains in a "blank" state - the game then saves the game with progressive turn number and the opponents shortened names if you saved it to a blank slot originally. The second you add a character - e.g. inadvertently hitting the keyboard - then it has a "proper" name and the incrementing will cease and the name will be frozen. To fix that, save a non-secure PBEM or other save into a new blank save slot and continue. Secure PBEM must use the same save slot.

cheers
Andy

What I have been trying to do is make a campaign that uses the results of the previous battle, the map, and force disposition and location. Hmm...something akin to dynamic campaigns as the action follows from one scenario to another.

=====

Mobhack February 21st, 2017 12:23 PM

The results you can use - since a campaign has branches for decisive victory through decisive loss. You can then do different things along each potential branch, such as issue less repair points etc.

The map you can re-use, but not any damage to it, nor any wrecked junk from previous battles. Nor can units be "left in the same place" as a previous battle. Each scenario stands on its own, only affected by the previous scenario's victory level. Scenarios are really meant to be separate battles, campaigns are not meant for round 2 of the fight at the OK Crossroads, round 3 2 hours later etc. (Everyone gets refuelled and rearmed, if they are in good shape for example, and if you use the same map all battlefield debris has been swept up, thus inferring a few days at least between scenarios).

shahadi February 21st, 2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 837366)
The results you can use - since a campaign has branches for decisive victory through decisive loss. You can then do different things along each potential branch, such as issue less repair points etc.

The map you can re-use, but not any damage to it, nor any wrecked junk from previous battles. Nor can units be "left in the same place" as a previous battle. .

This is exactly what I've been trying to accomplish in Campaign. So, I've turned to scenario files using a utility to rename the files so as to continue the fight in another scenario.

=====

Mobhack February 21st, 2017 12:59 PM

Well - if you are leaving "dead junk" by destroying it I presume, then remember to set the points to 0 for the "scenic wrecks" or the other side will be credited with the points value at totting up time.

I am not sure if such wrecks would add to the "force broken" status either, so you may want to renationalise them to a non playing team too. That also may help in the points totting up at end game as well.

shahadi February 21st, 2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 837371)
Well - if you are leaving "dead junk" by destroying it I presume, then remember to set the points to 0 for the "scenic wrecks" or the other side will be credited with the points value at totting up time.

I am not sure if such wrecks would add to the "force broken" status either, so you may want to renationalise them to a non playing team too. That also may help in the points totting up at end game as well.

Got it. Good stuff...I had not thought of the "dead junk" points.

=====

shahadi February 21st, 2017 02:26 PM

I am beginning to see how this would work from one scenario to another. But to make it happen from player to player is another thing.

So, the results of a player's first scenario are carried over to the subsequent scenario is the difficult part, and the part I am trying to wrestle with. So each subsequent scenario is a product of the player's preceding play. 10 guy playing the scenario would result in ten different subsequent scenarios.

=====

Mobhack February 21st, 2017 04:18 PM

And the only way you could do that is to have them manually send the end game files to you to manually edit for them.

So it would work in one of those collaborative sessions that some folk like to play, with a "game master" type setting up subsequent scenarios.

It wont work in any sort of automated manner since the game just isn't designed that way.