.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Move all (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51423)

DRG November 23rd, 2016 11:21 AM

Move all

I'm going to start this thread off by asking if anyone regularly uses the " Move ALL " function while playing( I do.... I want to find out who else does )

Mobhack November 23rd, 2016 11:30 AM

Re: Move all

Very, Very rarely to move a platoon of infantry or mech that is WAY in the rear more towards the front, on open terrain where they aren't going to shotgun all over the map, and so usually along a clear road line. (Move all can have weird results if say the southern ones are near a road, the north one decides to loop round a marsh or wood instead)

Never in any circumstance where they may get op-fired at.

So - basically for shifting deep reserves nearer the front, where I cant be bothered to move each unit on its own, and I am reasonably sure the AI wont make too much of a hash of it (e.g there is a road to follow).

DRG November 23rd, 2016 12:18 PM

if used correctly ( I suspect most don't ) it's works just fine

RightDeve November 23rd, 2016 02:48 PM

No, I never used it.
Once in the past tried it, but it doesn't feel right to me.
I like the immersive feeling of "touching" each and every unit.

jivemi November 23rd, 2016 10:30 PM

Never used it except by accident ("Hey, why are my guys going all over the place"?). Then it's back to individual unit movement ASAP.

DRG November 24th, 2016 12:22 AM

I'll repeat what I wrote in the other forum

quote-

OK so far, about what I suspected..........HINT.....the code moves the command unit LAST ( by design I suspect so it's not the first one into an ambush ) so you need to be aware of that and pick the last unit in the formation as the unit to initiate the move and ONLY move it maybe half max distance at a time until you get a feel for how it works......it CAN, if used correctly.....do a good job of keeping a platoon together and not all strung out.......it's a tool and any tool can be used incorrectly but I don't think over the entire lifespan of the SP series was that function ever really explained and to anyone using it for the first time who may have a platoon spread all over moving just any unit in the formation produces a confusing flurry of movement ESPECIALLY now with fast processing computers that zip units around the map quickly

Don
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Imp November 25th, 2016 08:41 PM

Never tried before but certainly saves time in current sittuation, moving to contact in mainly open terrain.

Kiwikkiwik November 30th, 2016 04:27 AM

I've never used it

scorpio_rocks November 30th, 2016 08:29 AM

I only really use it to move "waves" of landing craft

Steves308 December 2nd, 2016 12:31 PM

Rarely, but I have used it. If it's something you are thinking about taking away from the game, it would probably take me a year to notice ;^)

Steves308