.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Wishlist: LA Ulm - Undead Commander (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40653)

Jazzepi September 26th, 2008 01:22 AM

LA Ulm - Undead Commander

LA Ulm got a nice upgrade with the Bane of Heresy wielding undead guys. I tried mass producing them to counter sacred hydras made by pythium. A great strat, no?

Well, everything was peachy keen until I realized that Ulm has terrible mages for commanding undead since they were originally designed without the undead in mind.

I think LA Ulm either needs a level 0-1 summon in one of Ulm's non-random paths to move around all those undead (intended to fend off quick sacred rushes), or a recruitable commander that can guide undead, or an increase in the blood/death paths available to mages.

That is all.

Jazzepi

Endoperez September 26th, 2008 01:42 AM

Re: LA Ulm - Undead Commander

LA Ulm starts with Death income. If you take pretender with Death, the earliest cheap undead commander is Ench 2, Mound King.

The earliest available commander, of course, would be the Vampire Count. A bit expensive for moving the undead around, but he can also be used as a thug, especially for defense when the fights mostly take place within flying distance from the capital.

Jazzepi September 26th, 2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endoperez (Post 640633)
LA Ulm starts with Death income. If you take pretender with Death, the earliest cheap undead commander is Ench 2, Mound King.

The earliest available commander, of course, would be the Vampire Count. A bit expensive for moving the undead around, but he can also be used as a thug, especially for defense when the fights mostly take place within flying distance from the capital.

Boo-hiss. I understand he's around, but you only get death off of fortune tellers 1/4 of the time and I'm not sure that's the mage you want to be recruiting from your cap for the first 6-7 turns of the game just so that you can get a single death random. :(

Jazzepi

HoneyBadger September 26th, 2008 02:25 AM

What about your Pretender? Lots of nations (Abyssia comes to mind) get units that they have trouble summoning and using to their full potential, "out of the box". By putting a point or two of Death on your Pretender-especially if he's awake-you can summon mound kings, counts, etc. without having to worry about random picks. It's not ideal, ofcourse, but even making him asleep lets you decide whether you want to try for a random death pick (if you're close to Pythium) with those relatively inferior mages, while still knowing you have a Death mage waiting in the wings. And that choice between two ways to go can be important in the early rounds of a MP.

Dedas September 26th, 2008 02:26 AM

Fortune tellers are definitely something you want to recruit for the first couple of turns as they prevent bad luck. Something you probably have as you are playing LA Ulm.

Edi September 26th, 2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzepi (Post 640635)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Endoperez (Post 640633)

Boo-hiss. I understand he's around, but you only get death off of fortune tellers 1/4 of the time and I'm not sure that's the mage you want to be recruiting from your cap for the first 6-7 turns of the game just so that you can get a single death random. :(

Jazzepi

Fortune tellers are precisely what you want to recruit, as the bonus is additive, i.e. two fortune tellers have 2x the chance of preventing a bad event of just one fortune teller. Once the sum of fortune tellinggoes past 100, no bad events can occur.

Black priests can be recruited later when you have enough fortune tellers.

Xietor September 26th, 2008 08:36 AM

I raised this issue with ko when i took a look at LA Ulm as one of the unpicked races in Kingmaker.

Though my memory may be off, I believe he said it was not an intentional thing, that the Bane of Heresy guys were added sort of near the end. But I do not recall him saying he was going to fix it either.

Kristoffer O September 26th, 2008 10:39 AM

I probably did not say. I refrain from giving such unvague promises :)

archaeolept September 26th, 2008 11:27 AM

1/4 of the fortune tellers can lead 30 of them; Ulm's Vampire Counts can lead a mass of them. Also their blood mages have a limited undead leadership. That's sufficient, IMO.

Natpy September 26th, 2008 11:36 AM

Ghoul Guardian is a bad choice against Hydras. They are not mindless and rout quickly.