.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   After Action Reports (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   DAR: USSR vs Finland (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46254)

RERomine September 6th, 2010 04:33 PM

DAR: USSR vs Finland

1 Attachment(s)
USSR vs. Finland

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Finland, 12/1939 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Battalion Strength – 1-2 Armor Plt, 2-3 Infantry Co, 1 Artillery Btry, plus ATG and AAA. Strike aircraft possible. Average force experience, ~75.

It is difficult to estimate the enemy force size as my core is only 1140 points and I have not used any support points.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. There is mostly wooded terrain with roughly 75% of the map having trees. The wooded terrain is clustered, so there are solid areas of woods and areas of clear ground. Centered in the map is one medium sized, double peaked, level 20 hill. Deep within the enemy deployment zone is another level 20 hill, with the area to the east and northeast reasonably open for this map. Elsewhere, there are a few level 10 hills. Scattered about the map are small elongated lakes. The generally range from 250m in length to 150m in width. Man made features include two roads, one railroad and the occasional building. One road is on the southern edge of the map, is east-west and straight as can be; not one turn. The second road is generally north-south, but does turn to the NNE about 1500m from the north edge of the map. It is shifted about 250m west of the center of the map. There are a few wooden bridges where it crosses over lakes. Paralleling this road about 1000m to the east is a railroad. It starts out with a north-south heading and turns to the NW near the center of the map. There is one wooden bridge along the NW leg of the railroad. The entire map is covered with snow, but the lakes are not frozen. Visibility = 74.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (7xM26 1939, 5xM26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 2xBA6 ACs, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks) 1xSpotter Plane. Average force experience, ~55.

Time: 48 Turns

Analysis

The place to start is the general force comparison. Finland has most of the edges here. They are the more experienced force. The Finish forces will stand and fight, even after they have taken some casualties. My forces are likely to run if bullets get close. The Finns are general as well or better equipped; the main difference is they have AT capability in integrated Molotov cocktails. While not the best AT weapon, it is better than nothing, which is what I have. The Finns are likely to have some troops on skis as well, which will give them better mobility.

My forces basically have two advantages. One of those advantages is numbers. My forces should generally have more of everything, troops, tanks, MGs, etc. The trick is going to be making those numbers count for something. That is where the second advantage comes into play; my force has a human mind behind it. With a little thought, I should be able to minimize Finland’s advantages and maximize mine.

There aren’t any real dominant terrain features. The central hill does have some open ground to the east, but trees are to the west and north and cover a good portion of the peaks. This hill and its two peaks (Hill1A and Hill1B) might be of more value to the enemy than to me. This hill (Hill 2) in the enemy deployment zone would be a nice position to have a few guns to cover the open areas to the east and northeast, but it is a purely defensive in nature. There are a couple of flags in the open areas that could be covered from this hill, albeit at fairly long range.

The vast number of trees more or less prevents any specific area to be significant. More significantly are the open areas that less frequent. One of these areas is along the east-west road (EW Road). This area is roughly 2000m long and 500m wide at the widest point. Moving along the EW Road will be very difficult if positions are set up along the fringes of this open area. Open areas around Hills 1 and 2 have already been mentioned above.

As far as the roads go, they aren’t really positioned well to be of much use. The EW Road being along the very bottom edge of the map provides easy access to the back edges of the map, but there isn’t much of interest in the rear areas on the bottom. The north-south road (NS Road) being located in the center might provide a route into flanks. This depends on fighting taking place around the road.

The most interesting elements of the terrain are the lakes. They create numerous obstacles and choke points. Using them as obstacles will allow me to position units behind them with the ability to fire across the lakes and without any risk of assaults, especially against my tanks. From a choke point perspective, it will control access to certain areas. If I know the enemy in approaching a choke point, I might be able to pepper them with area fire. Maybe I can rattle them some before we make actual contact. At the very least, I can concentrate units around these choke points and maybe get fire local fire power superiority. The only down side is there aren’t that many lakes.

Plan

While the mission is a meeting engagement, I’m going to try to turn it into a hasty defense. My thought is I’m better off letting the enemy come to me, rather than going to the enemy. I’m looking at an echeloned line of defense, with the southern end of the line being furthest forward. More than anything, this is to conform to suitable terrain.

In a fairly complex deployment plan, I’ll cover it from north to south:

Just outside of my deployment zone are two lakes, oriented roughly east west. The northern most lake actually crosses into my deployment zone a bit, where the southern lake is out about 150m. There is a gap between the two lakes about 200m wide. My engineers, supported by two medium tanks and two light tanks will cover this area. The engineers will deploy in the gap, my AAMGs and ATGs will be positioned in my deployment zone so that they can provide supporting fire across the northern lake and my light tanks will position to fire across the south lake. The medium tanks will be held in reserve.

Next in line is Alpha Company. They will push forward to a line from the southern lake southwest to the railroad tracks. One platoon will position forward of the Engineer Group light tanks, one in the trees on a small hill to the southwest and the last platoon will position in and around the buildings next to the railroad. One light tank and one medium tank will provide support and be kept in reserve until needed.

Bravo Company will take positions generally southwest of Alpha. The line will run southwest from the railroad tracks to a cluster of lakes. On the right side of this line is a plowed field. One platoon will take position on the east side of the field, one will take position in a salient of trees near the southeast corner of the field and the final squad will fill the gap extending to the lake cluster.

Charlie Company has the most difficult task. They will take position in the trees and buildings surrounded by the cluster of lakes. Being on foot, they might not be able to get to that position without meeting resistance. If nothing else, they need to maintain contact with the left flank of Bravo Company. To assist this company, my lone artillery registration will be placed in this area.

Delta Company (Armor), supported by recon elements and battalion HMGs will move forward to southeast edge of the lake cluster. The HMGs will deploy to cover the open area, the road and across the lake. Scouts will move forward to provide eyes in this area and into Charlie Company’s proposed position. Tanks and recon elements will provide support in this sector and to Charlie Company as needed.

Deployed in this manner, each group will be able to hit the flank of any enemy units attacking the group to their north.

Arial recon will be available and attempt to spot incoming enemy units. Any enemy AA units spotted will be engaged immediately to maintain this advantage.

Once the enemy force has been neutralized, all units will advance forward and capture objectives.

Note: I wasn't planning on doing another DAR so quickly, but this should be an interesting and difficult fight.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.

RERomine September 6th, 2010 04:46 PM

Re: DAR: USSR vs Finland

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire by either side.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.

Turn 1

All units advancing according to plan.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 04:48 PM

Turn 2

All units advancing according to plan.

One enemy tank sighted on EW Road at a distance of 2300m. Co. D will have to abandon the road and skirt it through the trees for now.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 04:55 PM

Turn 3

Enemy tank continuing to advance. I dismounted one leg scout and plan on keeping it out there so I have eyes on the road. Other units are moving off the road, except my tanks. Four medium and two light tanks are still on the road.

All other units advancing as planned.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:02 PM

Turn 4

Three enemy tanks sighted on road now. I'm going to have to position to ambush them before Co. D can get to their objective.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:09 PM

Turn 5

Lead enemy tank 300m west of cross roads. Co. D deploying for ambush. Most units of company west of railroad tracks.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:17 PM

Turn 6

Lead enemy tank at cross roads. Dismounted six HMGs and plan on deploying them this turn. Tanks and ACs taking up positions.

Random enemy artillery and mortar fire dropped on railroad tracks. My nearest units are 500m away.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:27 PM

Turn 7

Two tanks east of the cross roads. Positioning HMGS, tanks and ACs. Scouts are providing intel on the advancing enemy tanks.

Artillery still falling, but mortars stopped. Fixed position of mortars and plotted counter battery.

Engineers in position. Alpha and Charlie have units crossing the railroad tracks.

So far, my spotter plane hasn't seen anything I didn't already see on the ground, which is three tanks.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:37 PM

Turn 8

Enemy tanks are leaving the road and moving into a plowed field on the east end of the open area. I better hit them now before I lose them in the woods.

Artillery fire stopped.

All other units continuing to advance into position.

Casualties

RERomine September 6th, 2010 05:50 PM

Turn 9

Zapped two enemy tanks in field. Third tank has turned north along NS Road

All other units continuing to advance into position.

Casualties

Enemy: 2xVickers 6s tanks destroyed.