.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Nation - Tomb Kings - v1.03 released (March 2009)! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35201)

llamabeast June 26th, 2007 07:11 PM

Nation - Tomb Kings - v1.03 released (March 2009)!

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.llamaserver.net/TombKingsPreview.gif

28/10/07: At long last the mod is released! Hurrah! I'm calling this version v0.8, since it's essentially finished, but still missing some heroes and presumably there will be some mistakes. I also want to improve compatibility with other mods - at present it clashes at least with Vaettiheim. I hope you all enjoy it, and please leave comments!

29/10/07: Released v0.81 which corrects bugs with summoning commanders, makes thematic vanilla pretenders available, and makes the priests and mages significantly cheaper.

30/10/07: Uploaded v0.82. Adds two national pretenders and two more heroes. Toughens up chariots by giving them natural protection in line with all other chariots in the game.

12/02/08: Extremely minor update. Fixed the Servant of Set's weapon, and added the Baphomet as a national pretender.

26/09/08: A large number of fixes, predominantly to make the national summons better value. See here for details.

08/03/09: v1.00! A bold version number following a fairly large number of changes. For more details see here. No new units, I'm afraid.

09/03/09: v1.01. A couple of small fixes and balance tweaks.

09/03/09 again(!): v1.02. A number of small changes to the Ushabti and Ushabti avatars.

10/03/09: v1.03! Minor fixes, mostly toning down the Immortals slightly.

--

This is a nation mod adding the Tomb Kings, an Egyptian-themed nation of undead, to the Middle Age. The nation is inspired by the Warhammer Tomb Kings nation, although it is only very loosely based on it (most of the units are new).

Troops: Undead infantry, cavalry and chariots. Very light armour but highly mobile.
Commanders: Separate priests and battle mages, plus very powerful Tomb Kings.
Magic: Mainly death and fire, with some air, earth and astral.

Strengths:
- Powerful national priest spells to buff troops
- Strong national battle mages
- A wide variety (8!) of strong national summons, many of which are not undead, and also including immortal sacreds
- Exceptional MR on all troops limits banishment troubles
- Troops which never rout or tire
- Priests can awaken limited numbers of troops for no cost

Weaknesses:
- Undead counters can make your life a misery
- Battle mages (sorcerors) are expensive
- Difficult decisions in recruiting priests or sorcerors
- Limited magical diversity without boosters
- Undead counters really can make your life a misery!

Strategy hints:
- A Tomb Kings army with no priests is weak and overpriced. The lack of armour on your troops makes them very vulnerable. Make sure to include a number of priests with every army to keep your troops buffed. If you're able to get a large proportion of your troops fully buffed they will be very powerful.
- Recruit a few acolytes for every army. They will concentrate on keeping your troops healed in battle.
- Research Evo-2 quickly - Sulphur Haze is a powerful spell and works well with your troops' poison immunity.
- Recruit as many Tomb Kings as you can afford.
- Experiment with using the Tomb Princes and even Ancient Champions as thugs. They can be quite effective.
- If a Tomb King is killed he will lose much of his magic, but be reborn in an immortal form. An immortal Tomb King leading a legion of summoned Immortals could be a serious (though costly) thorn in an enemy's side.
- Both bless and non-bless strategies seem to work quite well. You have a nice variety of sacred troops and many of the national summons are sacred, so a good bless can be very helpful. Any of E9, W9, F9 and D9 seem useful to me.

--

This is the full version of the nation description, which is considerably cut-down in-game:

The lands of Nehekhara were once vast and fertile, and the many kingdoms of Nehekhara were powerful for thousands of years. The priesthood was a powerful force in the kingdoms, and worshipped a pantheon of gods. The Nehekharans were obsessed with death, and over time the priesthood delved into the secrets of the arcane to try to gain some insight into the mysteries of death and what followed.

Finally the priests made a grand prophecy: They foresaw the slow decline of Nehekhara; gradually the great rivers of the land would dry up, crops would wither, animals would die, until eventually all that was left was a great lifeless desert. However, to the priesthood the second part of the prophecy was even more important. In the far future, after many millennia, they foresaw the rising of a new god, and the land being swept by a great wave of benevolent magic. The land would become a paradise, and the dead, if properly preserved, would arise to live anew.

And so the priesthood devoted itself to preparations, and he newly formed order of Tomb Priests oversaw the construction of vast tombs in which the worthy would be buried and preserved for the long millenia until the awakening. Soldiers, nobility, wizards and kings were placed in the tombs, and legions of priests and acolytes performed months-long incantations to preserve their bodies and protect their souls.

The priests themselves mastered a form of immortality - while their bodies gradually deteriorated until they were little more than dried husks, they kept themselves alive by powerful death magics. Their existence was not a pleasant one, but it was necessary to oversee the preparations.

Gradually the lands of Nehekhara dried up. One by one the cities had to be abandoned as they could not be sustained. Eventually the priests and the last of the nobility retreated to the tombs, and the few remaining peasants were left to their fate. For thousands of years no living thing stirred within Nehekhara, save the occasional foolhardy explorer.

Then, catastrophe occurred. As Ermor fell, vast malevolent energies swept the world. Many lands suffered, but it was in Nehekhara that the effects were most awful. The foul magics of Ermor took hold and perverted the enchantments on the sleeping dead. The mortal forms of the dead could now never be regained, and the Nehekharans awoke as undead, the pleasures of the world lost to their skeletal forms.

Now a new God has arisen to lead the tragic armies of Nehekhara. They feel no hatred for the living, but suffer from a terrible bitterness about what has been lost. Perhaps by rebuilding their once mighty kingdoms they can regain some of their lost glory, and perhaps find a purpose for their existences. And maybe they can find Ermor, and exact vengeance.

llamabeast June 26th, 2007 07:15 PM

Evolution of a longdead

1 Attachment(s)
So, this evening has been my first ever evening playing around with sprites. I thought I would build most things on the longdead sprites, but having collected them all and had a look I concluded they're not the best starting point. I think they must be from very early in the making of Dom: PPP, because they're not really close to Kristoffer's current standards (I actually feel awful saying anything remotely negative about Kristoffer's sprites because I was looking through all the sprites today and was absolutely blown away by the quality of many of them - it's an unbelievable collection of beautiful pixel art).

Anyway, I thought I would try my hand at making a more detailed longdead sprite to use as a template for the rest of my units. Attached is the longdead at different stages, finishing with the current version which I think I'm happy with.

Let me know what you think.

Shovah32 June 26th, 2007 07:16 PM

Re: Evolution of a longdead

No attachment that i can see.

edit: you got it on while i posted http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
They look nice.

llamabeast June 26th, 2007 07:19 PM

Wow! That was fast Shovah.

They're disappointingly small after all that. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif I've been looking at them really close up for hours.

The main changes are gaining a pelvis and ribs, and also he's generally a bit skinnier and with more shading. I think his skull might look a bit funny, I'm not sure. He's doing an impression of Hamlet (you have to imagine him holding a skull).

Sombre June 26th, 2007 07:27 PM

Very nice.

I have the same feeling when I've worked on a sprite close up for a while doing lots of little details, then I zoom out and you can hardly see any of it. But in this case, I think it comes across very well. Doesn't need any changes - skull looks fine IMO.

-thumbs up-

Shovah32 June 26th, 2007 07:35 PM

The 'hamlet' skeletonms almost seem like they are dancing if you ask me but ive always been a little odd... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Saulot June 26th, 2007 07:38 PM

Looks great.

You may wish to remove the extended fingers in the right hand if/when you add a weapon.

I might also suggest shaving down the shadow a bit.

Valandil June 27th, 2007 02:33 AM

I assume that these will end up in lapis and gold trim?
Very nice though.

llamabeast June 27th, 2007 05:28 AM

Yup, they sure will. I tried quickly last night (when I really really should have been in bed), but they ended up looking a bit psychedelic, so I think I will have to try more moody tones. Also use brown rather than mainly yellow to represent gold.

Valandil June 29th, 2007 07:35 PM

As you'd expect anyway for sand-blown, aeons old metal.

CelestialGoblyn July 1st, 2007 04:25 PM

Promising:)

llamabeast July 1st, 2007 07:41 PM

Wow, that was a brilliant number of comments just for one skeleton - thanks guys! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

I'll post another preview in the next couple of days. It's coming along quite well, I'm enjoying doing the graphics a lot more than I thought I would.

A warning again before I say any more - I'm deviating a bit in places from the Warhammer nation, mostly for reasons of making it work in Dominions but also a bit just because I want to. Hopefully this won't be too annoying for anyone.

The design of the nation is an interesting challenge. I want to make it feel very different to Ermor. The idea is not to have unending hordes of chaff - I see the Tomb Kings armies more as normal armies, except to their horror they find that they're all dead, and reincarnated not as they expected but as fleshless skeletons. Also they don't explicitly hate the living, they will just kill anyone who would try to steal their treasures, or prevent their attempt to reclaim the glory of their ancient empire. The one thing they do hate is the people who unleashed the enchantment that made them this way - not Nagash but... Ermor.

How to limit their production is the first question. From the army book you get the impression the vast armies of the Tomb Kings can just get up and fight whenever their king wants to. Obviously you can't have instant free armies in Dominions, and I don't want a repeat of an LA Ermor style summoning chain, so I decided to have them 'recruitable' in the normal way. The justification being that reviving them from their millennia-long sleep requires long rituals which are use costly incenses, balms and other materials, so gold and resources are still required. To be honest 0 resource cost would make more sense, but I don't like the feel of that. I'm imagining many priests slaving away endlessly carrying out the rituals of reanimation, so raising an army shouldn't be that quick.

In Warhammer the magic of the Tomb Kings is all priest-based, and is largely buffs of their own troops. To represent this I'm adding a number of holy buff spells, so that priests will be a critical part of a Tomb Kings army. Ordinary magic is also important in Dominions though, so I'm adding 'Buried Sorcerors', mages who were valued by their king to such an extent that, willingly or not, they were buried alive in his tomb when he died, so they would be with him in the afterlife. At present I've given them F2A1D1 (fire and air seem kind of deserty to me, and being as they were a death-obsessed nation even the sorcerors would have had some knowledge of death magic, though that was mainly the preserve of the priests). I'm not sure if that'll be too powerful (Aim + Falling Fires), we'll have to see. Also I intend to give the Tomb Kings themselves powerful magic, and the higher level priests will have death magic up to D2. Since there will be priests in abundance, that means the main magic will be Death followed by Fire, with smaller amounts of Air and some chance of random Earth and Astral picks on the Tomb Kings.

I've done the graphics for 1 infantry and 2 archer types so far, plus the Buried Sorceror. Still to go - heaps of stuff. 4 more infantry types I think, 2 cavalries, a chariot, tomb swarms, tomb scorpions, bone giants, ushabtis, three levels of priests, a scout and the tomb kings. But I am getting faster and using previous units as templates for new ones, so I am optimistic it will come along fairly quickly.

llamabeast July 1st, 2007 07:42 PM

Man I'm verbose aren't I?! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Saulot July 1st, 2007 07:59 PM

Yes, yes you are.

Well, I'm rather unfamiliar with Tomb Kings, but what you posted there sounds good.

Will be waiting patiently for this one. */taps his foot*

llamabeast July 9th, 2007 08:26 PM

Tomb Kings preview

1 Attachment(s)
I'd intended to post my progress here more regularly than I have. Anyway, it's coming along well, and I'm really enjoying myself doing it. I've done probably half to two thirds of the sprites, plus a similar proportion of the mod code itself. It shouldn't take too much longer to do most of the recruitable sprites, then there's the various summons to do as well. Some of them will be difficult (Ushabti!), but an interesting challenge. Perhaps I'll release a version before I go on to do those. I also still have all the descriptions to do, although I think they're all roughly stored in my head.

Anyway, to whet your appetites here's a preview of some of the national units. They're at double actual size so you can see them more clearly - although obviously that also makes them look rougher. Let me know what you think.

Ballbarian July 9th, 2007 09:44 PM

Re: Tomb Kings preview

Oooo llama!
I love skeletons!
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/skull.gif [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Poison.gif[/img] http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/skull.gif [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Poison.gif[/img] http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/skull.gif [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Poison.gif[/img]
Looks really good. I am looking forward to playing this when you are finished. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Sombre July 10th, 2007 03:20 AM

Nice skellingtons.

I know you're way ahead of me, but I'll try to get Ogre Kingdoms available as beta about the same time you release this. Then we'll have three warhammer nations playable. Four if Valandil gets Chaos released.

llamabeast July 10th, 2007 05:06 AM

Ah well, what I forgot to mention is I'm going away for a week and a half tomorrow, so you'll probably catch up with me fast!

Sombre July 10th, 2007 06:52 AM

Well then hopefully you'll have some Ogrey goodness waiting for you when you come back.

Kristoffer O July 10th, 2007 08:02 AM

Looks nice. I like the scarabshields and the egyptian style. I way prefer these to my own smudged skellies. Nice work

The tomb kings was a WH nation I always wished I had had.

llamabeast July 10th, 2007 11:58 AM

Thanks Kristoffer http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif Glad you like the shields. I've been trying hard to get an Egyptian feel to the nation.

Quote:

The tomb kings was a WH nation I always wished I had had.

Yeah, me too. I even bought a box of them a couple of years after I stopped collecting, in the hope of some kind of revival. Never happened though sadly - they're still boxed up. It just takes so much time, I always feel daunted these days. Not that I don't spend a lot of time on Dominions now instead!

HoneyBadger July 21st, 2007 02:27 PM

As per the Tomb Kings' armies just getting up and fighting wheneverr their commander wills them to, well-I don't have a solution for that, per se, but it did give me the idea that they might have some lowly, weak, mindless-but expensive-chaff that just happens to be immortal.

Maybe a summon. They'd be balanced by relatively high gem cost for a weak troop, and the facts that A: being mindless, no experience over time, B: being constructs, they wouldn't heal without a lab, and C: the accumulation of afflictions.

llamabeast July 21st, 2007 02:53 PM

Interesting idea HB. I've actually got an immortal unit, and like you suggest it's a summon. I went for the idea that the Tomb Kings should fear reaching the afterlife without any protection, so a few of their most loyal guard were embalmed with extremely powerful magic which has made them immortal. They're quite good soldiers, but I've so far found they're not overpowered (you can only summon one at a time and they cost two death gems to wake up). All this kind of thing might need refining later though.

I should post more on here actually, the mod's coming along really nicely. I did the sprites for three commander units today, plus a whole load more tweaks to the code itself. Almost all the national units are done now. I still have to do most of the summons, and write all the descriptions.

HoneyBadger July 21st, 2007 11:11 PM

I was thinking along the lines of "the pharaos' various lovers". The rose which never fades, willingly bound throughout eternity to always be with their king-The sales-pitch practically writes itself http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif...which they are-the catch is, because of shoddy spells cast by Ermorians who were more con-men than conjurers, they happen to be mindless skeletons.

Ofcourse, there's no reason in the world that there can't be more than one breed of immortal-no doubt in many cases the wizards in question were on the level, native, loyal, and powerful. It's just my conjecture that in a lot of cases the Tomb Kings were duped.

After all, who's going to care in a thousand years whether you replaced the saffron in a spell with tumeric? The guy you're casting it on is gonna be dead, and so are you.

Only he's going to be dead and pissed off about it, and you're going to have 30 more good years on *this* plane, and then go off to some afterlive your victim's never even heard of, where they reward who ever dies rich and clever.

llamabeast July 22nd, 2007 07:28 PM

The Anubite

1 Attachment(s)
I've just finished my first ever sprite-from-scratch. It's an Anubite - a servant of the ancient, long-banished god Anubis. I decided to add some units of a general Egyptian mythology theme, departing somewhat from the GW army list. The Anubite is a jackal-man carved from black granite (this is a little different from other Anubite myths - I made it up, based on a mis-recollection of the Anubites in Age of Mythology). When Anubis was banished they fell silent - now they are awoken to serve the new god. They are powerful and agile soldiers, and close the distance with their enemies quickly in leaps and bounds.

I'm reasonably pleased with the sprite. I think it looks a bit gawky, but can't quite put my finger on why. Still I think it is fairly nice.

I'll attach a sequence showing the steps he went through, just because I think it's interesting and you might too. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif Man, looking back on the early stages is hideous!

llamabeast July 22nd, 2007 07:46 PM

Evolution of a dead horse

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would do a similar thing with my cavalry sprite.

The top row is the normal sprite, the bottom is the attack sprite. On each row the first picture is the source pic, the next two are progressively altered versions, and the last one is the final Tomb Kings version with a rider.

llamabeast July 22nd, 2007 07:47 PM

Re: Evolution of a dead horse

Incidentally Sombre - I am getting increasingly impressed with your sprites as I realise the amount of work that goes into them. You've done an amazing number of really high quality sprites.

And Kristoffer - even more so!

Lazy_Perfectionist July 22nd, 2007 09:20 PM

Since you're going with an Egyptian theme, how about making your scouts the Royal Cat? Could go with something like the Uba's shifted form. Though whether mummified or skeletal... hmm...

I'd think to do something with a Skeletal consort, but seduction doesn't seem likely, unless you've got a real 'boner'. Oooh.. painful pun. Well, I'll leave it in.

"Royal Court"? Ritual summon to awaken an army?
Skeletal Consorts were entombed against their wills when their king died. No longer beautiful or pampered, they are driven by _blank_. Perhaps they resurrect lesser skeletons? Have some haunting/terrifying wail? Cause paralysis, curses? No real good ideas atm.

llamabeast July 23rd, 2007 05:52 AM

Hmm, I've really been struggling with what to do for a scout. A royal cat might be an interesting idea actually, I will have a think about that. The question is, how did it get intelligent?

A consort sounds like an interesting idea as well, although I also can't immediately think of what to give her. I'll bear it in mind though, it's suitably creepy and tragic.

Lazy_Perfectionist July 23rd, 2007 03:43 PM

Well, it doesn't have to be intelligent like a human, some animals can be fairly smart, and a few centuries of death will give you some learning time. With training, and possibly the voices of the dead whispering commands in your ears, you to can do things. The tricky part is that its a cat, why would it obey YOU?

For an unusual twist, maybe you can make it an immortal scout and/or assassin recruitable only from the capital. Considering that opponents usually build dominion walls at their borders, there would be some limits to their utility. But if they're slow to get going in the early game, then it would be a way to assist expansion.

Considering that the egyptians held cats in high regard, maybe it could be permanently blessed?

Kristoffer O July 23rd, 2007 07:56 PM

> I'll attach a sequence showing the steps he went through, just because I think it's interesting and you might too. Man, looking back on the early stages is hideous!

Interesting indeed! Hideous? No way! Most sprites start up as a vaguely humanoid lump of color. I'd say your mode of work is rahter similar to mine, but I think you have some good shape-up strategies. I tend to get stuck in details of a particular part of the sprite. You increase detail level mote evenly than I do, and I believe that is good.

And thanks for the compliment http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Lazy_Perfectionist July 23rd, 2007 09:35 PM

Blue Suede Shoes

1 Attachment(s)
While I have plenty of technical skill (transparencies, animation, editing basically), let it never be said I have artistic, aesthetic talent.

Here's my attempt at making the King live again.
Zombie Elvis (attached).

llamabeast July 23rd, 2007 09:50 PM

Re: Blue Suede Shoes

Actually LP, the shape and proportions of that are pretty good. It just needs shading.

Lazy_Perfectionist July 23rd, 2007 09:54 PM

The shape and proportions are pretty good because I hijacked your longdead sprite. I have no clue how to go about shading other than random, semi-transparent dots, though.

llamabeast July 23rd, 2007 09:58 PM

Well I just treat each limb as a cylinder, roughly. So the leftmost edge is light, then a line of medium pixels, then dark. Then I go over and modify bits depending on their angle (generally the upper leg is more horizontal and therefore its top surface would catch more light). Then also I darken bits near joints. e.g. the top of the inside leg will be very dark. I take quite a, erm, non-artistic approach to it - I just try to guess how much light each bit will catch.

Also more recently I have been using colour filters to alter a load at once, saving heaps of work. So if I think the lower leg should be a little darker than the upper leg, I just select the whole lower leg and decrease its brightness.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 01:32 PM

Tomb Kings backstory

I've just posted a backstory for the nation in the first post. Let me know what you think.

Sombre August 28th, 2007 01:43 PM

Re: Tomb Kings backstory

It's a solid backstory. I'm basically ignoring the dom3 world and trying to sum up the huge Warhammer backstories in the descriptions, while adding in some extra stuff explaining necessary changes.

Looking forward to this llama. Ogre Kingdoms is about 75% of the way to a first release, where would you say Tomb Kings stands? We could set up a little warhammer only game when we have 3 or 4 nations ready.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 02:08 PM

Yeah, it's quite different to the Warhammer backstory.

Hmm, how complete - maybe 80-90%? The graphics is essentially done (just a couple of things to finish off) and the coding of all spells and units is done. So just descriptions (only just started on them) to go, plus little things like the flag, banner, and fort types. Tell you, making a mod nation is a massive job! I can't believe you've done several of the things! This one has taken an fairly huge number of hours.

Sombre August 28th, 2007 02:41 PM

Yeah they're a lot of fun to make though :]

I've slowed down a bit recently, but I'm sure I'll go through another mad-modding phase and crank out a nation from nowhere.

Looks like I'll have to do a little burst on the ogres so I can release something to coincide with your Tomb Kings though. Maybe a very stripped down first release, missing a few units and so on.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 02:48 PM

Well I wouldn't rush. Personally I won't be up for a Warhammer mod game for about three weeks, as I have a bit of a busy time on. Would be good then though.

Sombre August 28th, 2007 02:56 PM

It's not so much a rush, it's pretty much what I did with the Skaven. Warhammer armies tend to have a /lot/ of stuff. I mean the Skaven still have a load of things need doing on them and they're already my biggest nation.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 02:58 PM

Oddly Tomb Kings had the opposite problem. Probably half the units are new things I made up, because the original army list hardly has anything in it, weirdly.

Oh Sombre, I forgot to ask - any recommendations for the range of unit, weapon and armor numbers I should use? I used Vaettiheim as an initial template, so at the moment it clashes pretty much maximally with Vaettiheim, which isn't so good. Any thoughts on good ranges to avoid clashing with any of your mods?

Sombre August 28th, 2007 03:14 PM

If the nation is for MA, here are the ID notes I update as I do MA releases. Ogre Kingdoms isn't on there, because I don't worry about conflicts until I reach the release.

----------------------------------MIDDLE ERA-------------------------------------------

Worthy Heroes v1.7b

-----weaponslots used : 770-772
-----monsterslots used :2800-2833
-----armorslots used: 380-381

CBM 1.1

MONSTERS -- 2851, 2877-81, 2888, 2890-2 (added 2878-81)
WEAPONS -- 659, 708-710, 751-5, 768, 769 (same as before, but with one conflict on 754 - move to 756?)
ARMOUR -- 252-264 (same as before, but with conflict on 264 - move to 265?)
NO SITES (site 890 no longer in .dm file)

Skaven -- Cool with WH, CBM

----Uses ID numbers

--weapons 670-685

--monsters 2140-2158, 2160-2174

--sites 993-5

--nation 73

--nametype 143

HOburg Alliance SE -- cool with CBM, WH and Skaven

-- ID NUMBERS USED

-- Nation 79
-- Monsters 2101-2119
-- Weapons 640, 641
-- Sites 760

AVERNUM v1.25 -- cool with CBM, WH, Hoburg SE and Skaven

----Uses ID numbers

--weapons 690-695

--monsters 2760-2781, 2783-97

--sites 990, 991, 992

--nametypes 144, 147

--nation 72

ARGA DIS V0.7 -- Cool with CBM, WH, Avernum, Hoburg and Skaven

--nationslot 75 -- fine with all above
--weaponslots 646 -- fine with all above
--armourslots 322 -- fine
--unitslots 2320-2330, 2354-2366 -- fine
--siteslots 790, 791, 792 -- fine

Basically I wouldn't worry about conflicts with other mods. They can be ironed out quickly for combined .dms in mod games and if I make a CBM version of anything I ensure that it is conflict free with all the other CBM stuff of that era, CBM itself and Worth Heroes too.

Anyway, the above might help you. Sorry if it's a bit rough around the edges, they are just notes after all :]

Clashes with Vaettiheim are 100% ok as long as they aren't in the same era btw, as unless this is the case, people have no business having them on at the same time.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 03:18 PM

Cool, thanks Sombre. I guess Vaettiheim etc don't really matter as you say. I want to make sure they work with Ulm Reborn though, as I think they would be cool opponents for each other (and it's much easier to shift one of them to a different era than to change all the unit numbers).

Sombre August 28th, 2007 03:26 PM

Well the id ranges for UR can be seen at the top of the .dm file. Pretty sure those are accurate.

llamabeast August 28th, 2007 03:37 PM

Cool, thanks.

llamabeast September 5th, 2007 07:37 PM

Wrote a long description for one of the units. Turns out Dominions won't take such a long description, so I thought rather than waste it I'd post it here as a teaser:

In the dying days of old Nehekhara, the Tomb Priests saw they alone would not be able to protect the vast tombs once the last vestiges of their civilization had fallen. And so to the peasants, criminals and others deemed unworthy of burial in the sacred tombs, the priests offered a terrible choice: watch over the tombs for the millennia to come, and in return live to see the coming of paradise. Some came forward, and the priests chose the strongest to serve as Watchers. Through powerful rituals they were gifted with the same immortality as the priests themselves - while their bodies withered and dried to husks they would never die of natural causes.

Instead they stood guard over the tombs, watching as the kingdoms they had known fell apart and the last villages were abandoned to the encroaching desert. Unsleeping, they watched and waited, spotting any treasure hunters far off, moving stealthily through the necropoli, and killing without warning.

Now by the foul curse of Ermor, the paradise promised to the Watchers has been denied, their tireless millennia all for nought. Where all the awakening Nehekharans are filled with bitterness for what was lost, the Watchers are consumed by it. Now they march alongside the awakened armies to war, seeking vengeance.

They wear no armor but wield halberds salvaged from treasure hunters, and miniature crossbows firing darts which paralyze their opponents - equipment they have come to favour for exacting a swift death on unsuspecting trespassers. Their bodies are no longer as strong as they once were, the harsh conditions of the desert having taken a toll over the thousands of years, but they remain strong and deadly opponents.

llamabeast September 6th, 2007 11:26 AM

Very nearly finished this mod now, but about to go on holiday for a week. Once I get back I expect to release it pretty quickly.

llamabeast October 28th, 2007 10:01 PM

Tomb Kings mod released!

Well, that took a lot longer than I expected. After a very long time and a good deal of playing and tweaking, the mod is now attached to the first post. I very much hope you all enjoy it. Please leave comments - I will be very pleased to read any comment at all, and constructive criticism is very welcome of course. In particular it can be easy to lose sight of the big picture when balancing a mod like this.

Have fun!

Sombre October 28th, 2007 10:24 PM

Re: Tomb Kings mod released!

The preview looks excellent. I'll try this out tonight when I'm free.