.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps & Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Conceptual Balance Mod 5.4 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=26175)

quantum_mechani September 29th, 2005 06:41 PM

Conceptual Balance Mod 5.4

1 Attachment(s)
Despite the rapidly ascending version numbers, the last several versions of the conceptual balance mod have been less and less different from each other, as it approaches a final version. The biggest difference between this version and the last, in fact, is that it comes with a complete readme (well, almost, some hero changes are still not in the readme).

Update: Replaced with 5.4.

quantum_mechani September 29th, 2005 06:46 PM

Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 5.4

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the same conceptual balance v5.4 mod, separated out into pretenders, items, etc.. It also includes the latest Oceania mod.

PashaDawg September 30th, 2005 09:27 AM

Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 5.0

Thanks, QM.

Chazar September 30th, 2005 12:25 PM

Thanks! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif We will use it now!

A Question: Balance is a tricky thing, so I would like to know the mod's makers opinions on the game-settings on which this balance mod was evaluated. Did you balance with respect to default settings? Or with resepect to the popular MP game settings (i.e. high independent strength, increased magic site frequency, etc.). Well, I don't want to discuss what is perceived as popular, so what are the setting for
  • Magic Site Frequency
  • World Richness
  • Map Size
  • Research difficulty
  • Independent Strength
which were predominately used for working out this mod? What are things to consider when altering those with respect to this mod? (...and please do not tell me to use whatever I prefer, I do anyway, but I just seek help to estimate the consequences beforhand).

quantum_mechani September 30th, 2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

Chazar said:
Thanks! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif We will use it now!

A Question: Balance is a tricky thing, so I would like to know the mod's makers opinions on the game-settings on which this balance mod was evaluated. Did you balance with respect to default settings? Or with resepect to the popular MP game settings (i.e. high independent strength, increased magic site frequency, etc.). Well, I don't want to discuss what is perceived as popular, so what are the setting for
  • Magic Site Frequency
  • World Richness
  • Map Size
  • Research difficulty
  • Independent Strength
which were predominately used for working out this mod? What are things to consider when altering those with respect to this mod? (...and please do not tell me to use whatever I prefer, I do anyway, but I just seek help to estimate the consequences beforhand).

Well, I honestly can't think of any settings you might choose that would really upset balance. The only thing that might qualify is magic sites below 20-30, otherwise blood gets very strong.

If you really want to know what the settings were of most test games with it, though:

Indy 6
Normal World
Normal Research
Default Sites
Smallish world (Urgaia, Aran)

Edi September 30th, 2005 02:08 PM

These modifications should work out really well in larger games as well, especially if larger maps use site frequency between 25 and 35. PErsoanlly, I prefer indy strength 7, but I play a lot of games vs the AI. Right now Kaljamaha and I have a v3.0 co-op Ulm-Vanheim game on the small Faerun where Marignon and C'tis are running all over the map and one of them might very well win the game because of the province victory condition.

Edi

Morkilus September 30th, 2005 02:09 PM

I've been trying the new mods (combined version) in anticipation of getting some MP in some time, and figured it would be good to practice using them. I came across something odd though... I can't find out why the Winged Shoes now require water gems. Is this a balance issue, or a bug? Or am I out of my mind? It kinda doesn't make sense thematically, anyway. I'm using the Odin-guy as my pretender, so I'm not huring for flying... but still...

quantum_mechani September 30th, 2005 02:13 PM

That is certainly a bug, they should take two air.

Endoperez September 30th, 2005 02:17 PM

Is it supposed to be 2 Air, as in 10 gems and Air 2 requirement, or 2 Air, as in 2 times 1 pick of Air, 10 gems and Air 1 requirement?

quantum_mechani September 30th, 2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Endoperez said:
Is it supposed to be 2 Air, as in 10 gems and Air 2 requirement, or 2 Air, as in 2 times 1 pick of Air, 10 gems and Air 1 requirement?

Air 2 requirement. The other way was simply too weird and did not fit with all the other magic items.