.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   After Action Reports (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   Victory! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50523)

ibol November 17th, 2014 12:24 PM

Victory!

There are 9 different ways to win Approaching Infinity (with a 10th one coming in a later version). The game has already been won by playtesters and kickstarter backers. But now it's time to tell your story. Please Post Screen Shots!

Cyberis January 17th, 2015 11:47 PM

Re: Victory!

5 Attachment(s)
I completed the Amulet of Yendor victory. Here are some stats on that game. The first time I attempted this victory condition I died a miserable death, so this is payback for all those scoundrel races. Long Live the Bankers!!!!!!

I feel so rogueish :D

I don't have an exact playtime in hours but it's somewhere north of 50. I could have done it in half the time but after dying the first time, I decided to bulk up my stats by going several additional sectors ahead.

WOO HOO!!!

zircher January 25th, 2015 03:06 AM

Amulet of Yendor victory on easy + perma-death. Time to crank it up a notch now that I have a good grasp of the game.

zircher February 3rd, 2015 01:23 AM

Humanity's Revenge victory on medium + perma-death. Stupid amount of credits dumped into pay-it-forward, I might be able to survive playing on hard. :-)

ibol February 4th, 2015 02:45 PM

HOLY COW!
I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts on the difficulty of that quest, and anything else you'd like to say about it:
saunders72 at Hotmail dot com

zircher February 6th, 2015 08:45 PM

I think I posted something on beta site, will check.

Also, Firax victory on hard+permadeath. Love the option it gave me on the next new game. I died in sector one, of course. :-)

Lord Felix February 7th, 2015 07:23 PM

I've won by completing the Tentaculon questline at Hard & Permadeath & hacking to be able to go back at critical junctures.

The victory screen is not that impressive!

My goal now is to explore as far as possible, killing every last Monk and Eater on the way (I'm lovey-dovy with all other factions).

I observe that after level 100 or so the space stations often have better loot than I can craft myself, which had not been true for about 60 levels. So my Observer is getting uber. It has a reactor with 3 weapon slots and 6 device slots, and now has about 15,000 in shields.

I've unlocked the Cruiser, but so far haven't found one that even closely is superior to my Observer.

Just hit a sector that has more than 200 planets!

Classic beer & pretzels game!

ibol February 9th, 2015 03:06 PM

:) planet farm! :)

zircher February 16th, 2015 06:53 PM

Add Tentaculon and Vordaine victories to the tally board.

At some point I should probably switch from destroying the enemy to making some with the modding tools. :-D

DamienPS March 2nd, 2015 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that the hardest victory may be the bankers as I've only come across the banker's headquarters twice.

First time - I died.

This time I went with a different victory.

My favourite ship so far is the Pirate Corsair with the built in Comm Jammer.

Lord Felix March 6th, 2015 11:33 AM

I've now completed six victories: Tentaculons, Monks, Vordelaine, Resistance, Bankers, and Unifiers. I'm not sure how many other options there are. The Limoquee and Firax and Eaters and Pirates have quest lines I haven't followed yet. The Gruff and the Sigorn don't seem to have plot quests.

Of the ones I've finished, the Resistance quest was the best (classic space opera), the Bankers quest was the worst, and the Unifiers quest was by far the creepiest.

OrionM42 March 25th, 2015 04:25 PM

Victory under the Unifiers Story-Arc

Well, it took me 90 Sectors to do it, but I managed a victory completing the quest requirements of the Unifiers faction. I enjoyed this game immensely! For my part, I found this game to be pretty challenging, even playing on the Easy level, but with Permadeath on. As a Newbie to rogue-like games, I probably took close to 100 hours to win this game; but I was proceeding very methodically and carefully. I am pretty sure a more experienced player could have completed this game in about half the time!

As noted by Lord Felix above, the Unifiers story-arc takes a kind of creepy turn, toward the end; but I thought it was clever (and appropriate), and I have no complaints on that score. On the other hand, paradoxically, this "interesting" victory motivates me all the more, to pursue a different faction's story-arc, the next time I play.

But that is one mark of a good computer game: Keep 'em coming back for more ... ;)

DamienPS March 29th, 2015 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I destroyed the Universe, Monks Victory.

DamienPS April 12th, 2015 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally managed the Firax victory. I have only three left to get now.

DamienPS April 13th, 2015 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very Creepy

DamienPS April 19th, 2015 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One victory to go.

Eaters victory completed.

Baldrick April 23rd, 2015 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After many, many stupid deaths, I have achieved Victory with the Firax. I have reached sector 72. On the way I have also completed Tentaculons quest line and also Gruff, Pirates and Sigorn quest lines. I will continue to see If I can complete more quest lines. I am on easy level of course.

:D

Baldrick April 23rd, 2015 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continuing with resistance victory. :)

ibol April 26th, 2015 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might come as a surprise to some, but I never beat Approaching Infinity...Until yesterday!

Of course, I've beaten it plenty of times with various cheats and shortcuts, but this time I played fair, from start to finish. I also did it on easy, and with perma-death off. But I did it!

It only took about 2 hours. I also recorded it, and am putting it up on youtube in 5 parts.

I should also mention that in the next update, there is new background art for each of the 9 victories (and something extra special for one of them)

Hey, this is a pretty fun game :D

PvK May 7th, 2015 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the Amulet of Yendor!

I don't think I've ever got the Amulet of Yendor before in a Roguelike game (and I've tried, starting in the 1980's...).

I couldn't bring myself to give it to the sleazy Bankers, though! So my adventure continues...

Hopefully I won't kill off too many more officers in this game - as you can see (the screenshot shows my log saying I got it, as well as my other stats such as: ) I've lost 12 officers and 73 crew in this game, including 4 officers and several men when I thought they'd survive opening their helmets deep in a cave, forgetting the atmosphere was toxic.

This is my fourth game of AI, and my first on Hard difficulty.

ibol May 12th, 2015 10:40 PM

fun fact: the "amulet of yendor" quest was actually just a test to make sure that I could make the game "win-able". I wanted to make it possible, for testing purposes. I originally intended to take that out. but how could I?

Thank you for not giving it to the bankers...

PvK May 30th, 2015 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first actual victory!

Resistance victory in sector 297.

I seem to have been a quest away from a Tentaculon victory too.

I was just playing on Normal/Permadeath, not Hard, as I started the game hoping to unlock the Cruiser class. By the time I got that far, I had such good components and crafting that I became fairly unstoppable.

Not that I didn't lose a few away teams. 12 officers down, 34 crew.

As for the Resistance quest difficulty Bob asked about earlier, well everything was easy for me by the time I got around to doing it, thanks to some crafting practices I had which I think were basically exploits which should be patched. However I think the later missions could do with being much harder, at least on Hard level. For one thing, they're missing an element of fighting back. If the Bankers started sending forces after you all the time, that could make it a lot more interesting. :D

dari June 5th, 2015 05:12 PM

And here a few victories all in the same normal game: i dont know if there was a sigorn victory screen but i got them too - just no screenshot - also the firax victory wasnt saved in achievements.

And a small lucky find on a planet named "Orion"

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=516
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=517
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=518
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=519
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=520
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/album...&pictureid=521

Baldrick June 14th, 2015 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first victory in Medium +permadeath. Quite a lot of crew dead, but piloting a Wanderer makes it cheaper :D.

Baldrick June 30th, 2015 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another victory, this time following Monks quest line. Interesting, but a bit weird.

dari July 27th, 2015 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibol (Post 829981)
fun fact: the "amulet of yendor" quest was actually just a test to make sure that I could make the game "win-able". I wanted to make it possible, for testing purposes. I originally intended to take that out. but how could I?

Thank you for not giving it to the bankers...

there you go : banksters for the win !
(on hard V1.20gamestart without extrafunds - maybe add the gamesetup info to this screen)!

Baldrick January 21st, 2016 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally my first victory in Hard+permadeath.

Tentaculons as usual.

Let's see how far i go.

:D

ibol January 23rd, 2016 01:18 PM

Wow that is amazing and you deserve great congratulations!