.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Mounted Infantry Phobia (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44460)

Kartoffel December 7th, 2009 08:06 PM

Mounted Infantry Phobia

What is the best way to get over the phobia of employing mechanized infantry formations? When ever I am handed control of more than a platoons worth of APCs I freak out.

I'm fine when it comes to tanks and leg formations, its just mech infantry for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

K.

gila December 7th, 2009 09:45 PM

Re: Mounted Infantry Phobia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kartoffel (Post 720942)
What is the best way to get over the phobia of employing mechanized infantry formations? When ever I am handed control of more than a platoons worth of APCs I freak out.

I'm fine when it comes to tanks and leg formations, its just mech infantry for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

K.

Saves some time for the grunts and gets them closer.

Just use transport for the first 2 moves or so and then unload.

Never push it too much,especially if enemy air is available,transport vehichles make easy targets:hurt:

Marek_Tucan December 8th, 2009 01:16 AM

You may use 'em as an expanded fire brigade - IE have small part of your infantry mounted and let it linger behind, then rush them to the front wherever reserves are needed.
Alternatively you might use them as worse but cheaper scouts.

Imp December 8th, 2009 02:00 AM

To get over the phobia suggest keeping behind tanks for protection. In situations where your tanks can go flat out they can keep up jumping from cover to cover. If keep a full company together 2 platoons unload (in cover preferably) & engage 3rd stays mounted near buy. This reduces leaders rally calls as 1/3rd unengaged. Once have a good picture of situation concentrate on one area then reserve platoon mech assaults. If they have AT weapons can help out if your armours outnumbered to.

nuNce December 8th, 2009 05:17 AM

APC are needful when you have a fully mechanized battalion. Infantry won't keep up with tanks, and APCs are far more resistant than trucks. They can for instance resist to artillery falling near them (of course they blow up easily when hit from top). When riding, tanks stay in front (preferably preceded by ACs) and APCs behind. When fighting, you keep your infantry in front, your APCs behind them as fire support and your tanks behind, moving them in front only when you're sure you have no AT resistance. Remember to always leave your tanks in cover by the end of your turn, same if possible for APCs. Don't think you can lead with a fully armored force through enemy defences, except maybe in very open ground, like desert. Vehicles spot very badly, they may even miss a unit in the same hex IIRC.

It's really a start & stop stuff, and to enjoy it fully you need a large map and many turns. Otherwise, consider APCs just as some lightly armoured support.

My 2 cents.

drez December 8th, 2009 12:57 PM

The best way to get over the phobia is to remember its just an awesome computer game you're playing. Take deep breaths, have fun and experiment :) If you take heavy losses learn from your mistakes as best you can and make them pay the next time!
I have been using 3 battalions worth of Soviet mechanized infantry as part of a big tournament for a couple of years now. advice I can give is that mech inf work effectively as a springboard. As the soviets I preceed my mech units with scouts and engineers, and cover them with tanks. I keep them all bunched up in concealed positions. On the attack I sneak them closer and closer as undetectable as possible, like a coiled snake ready to strike. and when they are in striking range and one has suppressed the defender well enough (or the attacker in a counter attack situation) once unleashed they are an extremely effective means of overwhelming an enemy.