.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Kevlar equipment (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51997)

Isto July 25th, 2018 11:41 AM

Kevlar equipment

Has kevlar equipment taken in account in this game ?

Tried to search the manual with no results on kevlar or infantry armor.

I suppose units without, like conscripts or militia should be easier to damage than the others.

Aeraaa July 25th, 2018 01:43 PM

Re: Kevlar equipment

Modern infantry has higher experience than early Cold War ones, therefore are harder to kill. Modern armor is included in that higher experience (among other things like training, combat experience etc).

I don't know why you think militia or conscripts don't have Kevlar equipment, or that professional soldiers have. The armed forces/unit provides the equipment to its members equally, not based on whether the soldiers get paid salaries or not.

Isto July 25th, 2018 02:16 PM

Because when the full mobilization is on (thus using conscripts) i doubt there is enough equipment for everybody.

Irregulars and similar also tend to manage with what they are able to get.

Mobhack July 25th, 2018 02:25 PM

There is no body armour in the game. Body armour may preserve some who may have died, but they are still gravely injured and in need of hospitalisation, so will be out of the campaign either permanently or sufficiently long term as to be regarded as so.

jp10 July 25th, 2018 08:02 PM

Military body armor is most effective against blast and fragmentation rather than rifle/MG rounds. It also heats you up, slows you down and wears you out. The most immediate effect of body armor in the game would be reducing unit foot movement rather than resistance to casualties.

Kessu August 26th, 2018 06:08 AM

Negative. Modern plate carriers (SPCS, Osprey, MoTaV & such) are designed to offer ballistic protection against battle rifle calibres. All that at rought 20 pounds is not bad - an extra 20 lbs will have zero effect on the performance of a soldier.

All that applies to 1st world professionals militaries - naturally. Outside of the US and the UK, the rest of us stuck with fragmentation protection vests, "flak jackets", which have NIL-chance of stopping intermidiate or battle rifle calibres.

Suhiir August 26th, 2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessu (Post 843190)
All that at rought 20 pounds is not bad - an extra 20 lbs will have zero effect on the performance of a soldier.

I gather you've never had to hike even a couple km, much less 30 in battle armor.

Imp August 26th, 2018 04:24 PM

USMC reckons 8% slower they are tendering for lighter armour at the moment.
That’s a lot you could just need the armor because your wearing it.

DRG August 26th, 2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suhiir (Post 843197)
I gather you've never had to hike even a couple km, much less 30 in battle armor.

and a nice hot day makes it even more fun

Suhiir August 27th, 2018 02:25 AM

Keep in mind you're not just wearing body armor.

Weapon & ammo & grenades
NVGs, individual comm, gas mask, poncho (probably with liner)
Water & usually a day's worth of food
One (or two) Lt AT weapons, MG ammo belts, Lt Mortar ammo

THEN you add a backpack if you're not motorized/mechanized at the moment.