.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Damnit Spellcasting AI! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47647)

Louist August 4th, 2011 10:48 AM

Damnit Spellcasting AI!

I'd like to thank the spellcasting AI for causing a third of my Eagle Kings to cast Ironskin during Wrathful Skies.

Obviously I'll need to add a Resist Lightning into the spell queue, but I hate giving up another slot :(

:(

llamabeast August 4th, 2011 12:08 PM

Re: Damnit Spellcasting AI!

I would like to take this opportunity to advertise my Well Behaved Wizard Mod:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...?showtopic=377

(The post is a bit long winded and uncertain, but I'm now pretty confident that it's a good solution.)

brxbrx August 4th, 2011 02:23 PM

Can't you make that mod without the tweaks to the spells?

I'd download it if it were just AI improvements.

Louist August 4th, 2011 04:23 PM

Interesting mod non the less, thanks llama.

llamabeast August 4th, 2011 06:28 PM

The only spell change is increasing the fatigue cost of Blink. Is that an issue?

Louist August 7th, 2011 02:12 PM

Well, things have only gotten worse. In testing, I found that the Eagle Kings refused to cast Lightning Resistance on themselves at the start of combat. Obviously, I thought, the AI doesn't see the point in going above 100 resistance. So I scripted my Eagle Kings to cast Iron Skin first, then Lightning Resistance, assuming that the AI would see that meager 25% and have no problem buffing it up.

How wrong I was. The AI still refused. Latest Wrathful Skies claimed 6 Eagle Kings.

krpeters August 7th, 2011 03:34 PM

Rumor has it that a mage which casts stoneskin on himself will not later cast ironskin. I don't know if this is true, but it might be worth a try.

Louist August 7th, 2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krpeters (Post 781651)
Rumor has it that a mage which casts stoneskin on himself will not later cast ironskin. I don't know if this is true, but it might be worth a try.

Worth a shot. I can't afford these losses :)

jimbojones1971 August 7th, 2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamabeast (Post 781521)
The only spell change is increasing the fatigue cost of Blink. Is that an issue?

Not for me. I'm keen to download this and have a bit of a play. :)

Bananadine August 7th, 2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louist (Post 781644)
Well, things have only gotten worse. In testing, I found that the Eagle Kings refused to cast Lightning Resistance on themselves at the start of combat. Obviously, I thought, the AI doesn't see the point in going above 100 resistance. So I scripted my Eagle Kings to cast Iron Skin first, then Lightning Resistance, assuming that the AI would see that meager 25% and have no problem buffing it up.

How wrong I was. The AI still refused. Latest Wrathful Skies claimed 6 Eagle Kings.

That's disturbing. I would have expected them to gladly go to 200% resistance for you. It's not like 200% isn't allowed. I'm curious now and

...okay I just tested it. I empowered a be'reasoned wyvern (100% shock resistance and poison resistance) and sure enough it refused to cast Resist Lightning, even after Ironskin had been cast. Crazy!

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

Use copper plate, rings of tamed lightning, lightning rods, or some other such thing. Expensive!

Use Storm Warriors, which applies to everybody whether they like it or not. Not expensive! Downsides: You have to have researched it (or at least Thunder Ward). You have to carry a few gems around. AND WORST OF ALL it only brings your guys back up to 75% resistance. If you can cast Mass Regeneration (and also provide your kings with luck, if possible) then 75% might be more than enough. Or if you have a strong nature blessing and the units are sacred! Otherwise... I don't know.

Tell the mages to cast Thunder Strike five times, or whatever it is you want them to do, and then attack or retreat or fire (you'd probably have to forge them ranged weapons) or something. Probably not convenient, but it could save their lives.

I just tried using Stoneskin and it didn't work. My wyvern used Ironskin as soon as his script ended. Harder skins prevent softer skins from being applied, not the other way around.